Battle Descriptions

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Battle Descriptions

Postby Howard7x » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:52 am

Over at the matrix forum there was a discussion about adding the battle background and description to the Turn 1 screen.

Im wondering if someone can explain to me how to do it? I want to give it a go. I would like to make it a public release for BF so people have the option of adding it to the game if they wish.
Never, ever.... ever again!

Image ImageImageImageImage
Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:16 am

You need to create a file called BriefingPicts.xcr which has each of the different turn briefings stored in it, you can use the one from MG as your basis - you will need to use the XCR extraction and re-composition tools to add and delete files from the BriefingPicts.xcr file.

You will also then need to reference each of the briefing turn pics in the scenario editor.

It actually is very easy to do. I have just finished changing some of them for a Free Landing scenario of MG that I am making.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:34 am

Correct except that there is no reference in the scenario editor. Each turn the system checks for the briefingPicts.xcr file. If there it checks if the correct picture is in it.

If it finds Allied_Turn_01.bmp it knows that this is the one to be displayed for the Allied side on turn 1. Axis_Turn_02.bmp is the Axis turn 2 screen and so on.

There can be a screen for each side for each turn in the game. The file can get a bit large if that is the case but that is up to the scenario designer.

Market Garden is the scenario to use as a guide, and note that these pictures are viewable within the game from the operations screen, just in case you missed one or clicked the start button before reading it.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Howard7x » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:48 am

Ok, finally got around to starting this.

I have a couple of questions.

How do i open the market garden .bmp files from the XCR compiler?

What affect did you use on the background image to get it to appear mottled?

What font did you use for the "Battlefront." text in the top left of the screen?

Cheers

Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Howard7x » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:58 am

I figured out what i need to use to extract them and downloaded the XCReplus program, then realised i buggered up the briefingpics.xcr file so now ive got no files in there at all! haha, tried the game and rightly enough i have the background but no briefing for the turns.

Talk about working backwards! Sometimes reverse engineering really works! :lol:

Well looks like i need photoshop lessons...

Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Howard7x » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:22 am

I found a map id like to turn into a BF map.
Im intrested in doing The Battle For Berlin

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/50523?size=medium <-should now work

Ive no idea where to start however and would like some pointers.
Last edited by Howard7x on Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby flintlock » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:33 am

Howard, are you able to upload the image to a site that doesn't require an account registration to view it?
flintlock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Howard7x » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:38 am

Try this link

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/50523?size=medium

I think it was because i viewed the picture in its original size, something that only reg users can do. You can seach on the site for Fortress Berlin, you will see the map there.

Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:20 am

Howard, I have a 3/4's already completed scenario based upon the battle of Berlin. Someone else started it and wasnt able to complete it.. I think it was benpark. The map is excellent.. better then mine to be honest. The scenario is at the point where the map is done, the OOB is in - but the units need to be balanced, ie: have their attack and defense strengths and steps added. There may be some other slight things that need to be sorted, like supply and objectives etc.,,.

If you are interested it trying to complete this scenario then let me know and I can throw it up on my FTP site for you to have a look at.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby benpark » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:54 am

Howard, I'm 60% done with converting the FB map for Battlefront. It's slow going, as we have just bought a new house and I am perpetually getting sidetracked. That said, I'll be happy to "donate" the map to someone who will convert the OOB and at least attempt to make an AI for it when done. I have come to the realization that I really only like to make maps. This game lacks a scenario builder that I can get my head around in the few hours of peace I get a week.

The scenario Rob mentioned is one I started for BiI. I had finished the map, done most of the OOB and done an initial positioning of the forces. Rob may have added something, I'm not sure. I would be fine with handing that version over to anyone who wants to finish it. The scale is off in my mind for Battlefront (from west of Berlin to Kustrin). My intention was to make a game that would be insanely difficult to play as German vs the AI.

When I get home Sunday, I'll put a preview of the new Berlin map up for anyone interested in adopting it.
benpark
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:39 am

Benpark.. I hear you when you say you enjoy making maps the most :) Your services could be used around here.. infact you should get in touch with JSS - he is looking for someone to do a map for him.. and your maps are excellent... keep up the good work.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Howard7x » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:54 am

Ben, yeah id definately be interested in getting your battle finished although i dont think i will do the AI, purely PBEM would be my only option.

Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby benpark » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:17 am

No problem.

Rob, do you still have the zip file for the Berlin scenario? I can't find it, so Howard hopefully can get it from you if you don't mind.

The FB map won't be done for a while, but when it is, I'll pass it off to whoever is interested.
benpark
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby benpark » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:24 am

WIP:

benpark
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby flintlock » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:29 am

benpark, I've some of your fine map work posted in the past over at the Matrix forums. What's your graphic editor of choice (if you don't mind me asking)?
flintlock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Battlefront Scenario Design