Looking for Co Scenario Design Partner

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Looking for Co Scenario Design Partner

Postby Robjess » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:41 am

Im looking for someone to work with me on a scenario for Battlefront. Your level of experience in the use of the BF editor is not important, if you are an experienced designer and user of the editor then thats excellent, if you dont have alot of experience in the use of the editor - then thats ok too - as I will be able to coach you and teach you along the way.

Im only looking for people who are serious about making a new scenario I dont want someone who is going to bail on me a month or so into the process - so unless you are dedicated to seeing this through please dont apply.

Im happy to use your scenario ideas, I will do the map (if required) and I will provide guidance on how to use the editor.

Its preferrable that you have access to Broadband and are NOT on dial up - as we will need to share some large files between us. Also if you are familiar with the use of FTP then this will also help - but its not a requirement.

Any one interested? Im happy to provide guidance on more then 1 scenario.. and if there is enough interest - with enough dedicated designers (again dont apply if you are going to bail on me in a weeks time - we are talking many hours of work here - but its extremely rewarding and I can guarantee that if you stick with me through the design of one scenario then you will be making the next one on your own!) - Im sure that Brubaker and JSS will even assist with coaching people too (as I know they are already doing).

Ok.. so if you are keen - register your interest here and what scenario you would like to make (if you have knowledge and an OOB of the scenario together then that would help), also the scenario can be a 'what if' or can be based upon actual events but not be a historical battle (look at Rommel Master of Battle - probably the best scenario to come out of DBWWII and it wasnt tied to a historical battle).
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby runyan99 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:42 pm

My Kanev scenario is probably about 65-70% done, but I have stalled working on it, primarily because I'm playing AGEOD's new Civil War game, and not paying attention to BF for now. It would be a waste not to finish up the project though, especially as the scenario is particularly interesting.

I still have some oob work to do, and then supply and playtesting issues. The map is in place, but not 100% polished up.

Your cooperation could help to complete the design. I'll send the whole thing for you to have a look at if you like. Just let me know how and where you want it.
runyan99
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robjess » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:56 pm

Excellent.. send me an email and I will give you my FTP account details.

(robjess@bigpond.com)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Operation Epsom

Postby Chris Merchant » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:40 am

Hi Rob

Having few good reference books for the fighting that ocurred around Hill 112 near Caen I have been looking at setting up a small battle like Epsom at company scale.

The only thing is whether I can fudge the map scale much, as the area fought over was quite small and at 1km per hex would only be around 15x15 hexes or so, which is too small.

I'd be keen to have a go at pretty well anything though...perhaps I can assist with runyan99's Kanev?

cheers
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Chris you could make the map 750mtrs or 500meters per hex.. or keep it at 1km and then just extend the map a little...

Happy to have you help with Runyan's scenario too :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby hank » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:37 pm

I can't commit to helping due to RL issues but ... You answered a question I had about BF.

It appears the game would handle other scales than 1 Km hexes and 1 day turns.

Some battles i thought would be nice are smaller scale also and I had been wondering if 1/2 day turns would work with a 1/2 Km hex map. And if you could create conditions that would simulate night time. (lower movement points, lower visibility, etc. ... night fatigue would be interesting also)

It seems like somebody made a sce for BiN like this ... but I could be wrong.

Some of my considerations whenever I get around to the editor:

Arracourt
Op Goodwood
Kursk southern front
Op Epsom
Okinawa or Guadalcanal
Kasserine

later
hank
Major
Major

Postby Robjess » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:22 am

Yes JSS made a scenario that had night turns.. I was considering doing a Guadalcanal scenario myself - infact had the map and all planned out and then decided against it for another one at the last minute.

Yes you can also change the scale.. we played around with the scale quite a bit in the BIN/BiI series - there is no reason why you cant do the same with BF.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby cbelva » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:02 pm

I am working on a scenario that has 8 hours turns. So far it appears to work quite well.
cbelva
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Noakesy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:41 pm

I'd also be game to try and develop a scenario Rob, and you expertise here would be a huge help - just have to think of one where I have all the OOB stuff etc - personally I'd like to try East Front, but most of my sources appear to have a bit of bias (but then I guess all do anyway). If Brubaker would be kind enough to pass on his info re Operation Mercury then I'd be happy to do that at BF level?
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:19 pm

I find that other war games - both table top and computer games, make excellent references for scenario design. Infat a few TOAW scenarios has been used as the basis for some of the scenarios I have created for DBWWII.

The other thing is you can often fall into a trap of stressing over whether a unit should have 15 points for attack or 12. Or if this hex should be clear or forest - Who gives a crap - it doesnt need to be perfect.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Noakesy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:57 pm

Well, to be honest that's why I thought of Mercury - Brubaker has broken the back of it with the OOB, yet it may be better suited to BF than DB (just a thought). Most of my board games are already scenarios so can't pinch them. I thought Anzio might be good, but then there are months of stagnation to factor in, so maybe not so great - I'll have a think about it.

Cheers
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Targ » Tue May 29, 2007 11:50 am

I am interested, one that I had in mind would be a small one at first, The Gateway to Leningrad: Defense of the Luga Bridgehead to see how things go and if all goes well to make a scenario focusing on the Russian winter counter attacks of early 1942 near Moscow against the 9th Army.
Targ
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Wed May 30, 2007 2:57 pm

Hey Targ if you have an OOB and a potenial map (no matter how rough) and some knowledge of the battle, then Im happy to help you create this scenario.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Targ » Wed May 30, 2007 3:53 pm

Cool beans,
I do have the info just not on computer form, however I do have a scanner and acrobat :)
The first one would be small scale just to test the waters and get familiar.
Targ
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:58 pm

To those users who I have either commenced making scenarios with, or those who I had indicated that I would assist, I am sorry but I can no longer assist you.

Runyan - your scenario is well advanced, I give you permission to use the map that I have created for you (so long as the product is released for free on Run5/SSG), but I can no longer assist with its testing. There may be some others around who may be interested in helping you test it.

Andrew - I will see our Chinese Farm scenario through as I have a personal interest in that one.

The other scenarios I was working with people on - sorry guys.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Next

Return to Battlefront Scenario Design