Need Help with OMA and exiting units

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Need Help with OMA and exiting units

Postby cbelva » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:18 am

I am setting up a scenario where a side is given points for exiting units off the map. However, I cannot seem to get that to work. I have set up an OMA to receive the units, but I can't get the program to award the points. What am I doing wrong? In the OMA setup in the editor, I have set the area up as both "normal" and as an "exit" area. I set the start and stop turns for the units to exit thru the OMA. I set up how many points to award. However, when I run the scenario, the points are not awarded as the units exit.

Any advice is appreciated.
cbelva
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Roger Keating » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:33 am

The points for exiting units is an advanced, unimplemented, feature of BF at the moment. It will be made available at some future date but I need to do quite a bit of coding to get it working.

It was introduced because I thought that MG would need it but I stopped development when there was no requests from developers ot testers for the feature.

I always like to develop this sort of feature with an actual scenario that uses it, so it can be properly tested and developed. If you check the OMA screen within the game you will notice that there is no way to view exited units. That was commented out as well. It would take several days to complete that screen and then another couple to make sure that all the VP's etc. were working correctly.

Hope this help explain the logic of design and development.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby cbelva » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:51 am

Thanks for the reply.

You stated that none of the scenario developers or testers requested the feature. Well, now you have one. I thought that the feature was activated and developed my scenario to utilize it. I will have to work out something else now, or hold off releasing the scenario until it is implemented. :cry:
cbelva
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:22 am

It is really just a case of what I work on next. I am currently working on the start of a new game that occupies a lot of my time. It was important to get the patch right so I have been checking Battlefront over but the exited unit feature is on the list.

I have thought of cloning myself but Governments tend to be against that sort of thing ....
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby cbelva » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:09 pm

Let's see, the patch was just released (how long has it been since Battlefront was release-not that long ago), Carriers at War should have been released yesterday, and now you have a "fanboy" complaining that you didn't implement some stupid victory point feature.

You guys are doing a great job. I have no complaints and am enjoying Battlefront.

If I had to decide where to divide your time, I would vote for CAW. I was a big fan years ago when it was first released.

PS--what is the new game you are working on?!? :wink:
cbelva
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:21 pm

Alex is the one responsible for CAW so I only have the job of playing it occasionally and making comments, which is a major change in the normal way SSG games are developed.

CAW is looking very good and should be released soon, but it is important to get all the features working and tested.

I would get shot if I mentioned anything about future projects so my lips are sealed. Such is the way with all developers.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby cbelva » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:48 pm

A guy can hope.

Thanks for all the hard work and the excellence games!
cbelva
Corporal
Corporal

Return to Battlefront Scenario Design