How to map by color

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

How to map by color

Postby runyan99 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:51 pm

The DB and BF series have chosen an artistic style when it comes to maps which are sort of like imitiation satellite images. That isn't the only way to make a map, of course.

Traditional tabletop wargames had simpler maps. Green was clear, hills were denoted by brown hexes surrounded by elevation lines, or whatever.

I don't have the artistic ability to do a photorealistic type map. I have experimented however with just using the color selection ability in BF's editor to generate easy to do maps that look similar to a paper wargame map.

Here you see the town of Kanev and surrounding villages, with the Dneipr river running from north to south. Dark green is woods, the brown are hills, etc. The roads look a little funny, and I might redraw them by hand. If I got really motivated, I might replace the solid town hexes by drawing little brown boxes for buildings. Maybe.

I think the results are usable. What do you think?

Image

Image thing doesn't seem to want to work.... If you put the URL into your browser, you can see the image.
User avatar
runyan99
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:32 am

Postby Kilgore Trout » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:39 pm

What you have created is the underlying map that is used in every DBWWII and BF scenario. That's really all you need to make the scenario playable. The fancy artwork simply overlays this map. If you don't have the time or the expertise to do the finished map there are several people on this site that can help.
Image Image
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. "

--Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
User avatar
Kilgore Trout
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:54 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: How to map by color

Postby RRR » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:33 am

runyan99 wrote:The DB and BF series have chosen an artistic style when it comes to maps which are sort of like imitiation satellite images. That isn't the only way to make a map, of course.

Traditional tabletop wargames had simpler maps. Green was clear, hills were denoted by brown hexes surrounded by elevation lines, or whatever.

I don't have the artistic ability to do a photorealistic type map. I have experimented however with just using the color selection ability in BF's editor to generate easy to do maps that look similar to a paper wargame map.

Here you see the town of Kanev and surrounding villages, with the Dneipr river running from north to south. Dark green is woods, the brown are hills, etc. The roads look a little funny, and I might redraw them by hand. If I got really motivated, I might replace the solid town hexes by drawing little brown boxes for buildings. Maybe.

I think the results are usable. What do you think?

Image

Image thing doesn't seem to want to work.... If you put the URL into your browser, you can see the image.


Your post got me thinking back to BiN and I decided to make another attempt to use the Editor to do a scen for that game. Thanks.

Rick
RRR
Private
Private
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:51 pm

Re: How to map by color

Postby runyan99 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:00 am

RRR wrote:
Your post got me thinking back to BiN and I decided to make another attempt to use the Editor to do a scen for that game. Thanks.

Rick


I've started to place some units on my map, and the more I work with it, the more I'm convinced it really looks fine. Give it a try.
User avatar
runyan99
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:32 am

Postby runyan99 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:21 am

Here is the most recent version of this part of the map. I've used Paint to recolor the major highway, used a cut-and-paste doodad to illustrate the marsh hexes, and used the rectange feature to make a representation of the towns. All pretty easy to do, and I think the results are nice and clean.

I might use a similar doodad on the forest hexes. Maybe some kind of green poofy thing which looks like treetops or something, but I haven't come up with anything acceptable yet.

Image
User avatar
runyan99
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:32 am

Postby RRR » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:33 pm

runyan99 wrote:Here is the most recent version of this part of the map. I've used Paint to recolor the major highway, used a cut-and-paste doodad to illustrate the marsh hexes, and used the rectange feature to make a representation of the towns. All pretty easy to do, and I think the results are nice and clean.

I might use a similar doodad on the forest hexes. Maybe some kind of green poofy thing which looks like treetops or something, but I haven't come up with anything acceptable yet.

Image


You're right, It looks like this works. Can you give some simple steps on how you went about doing this?

Thanks
Rick
RRR
Private
Private
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:51 pm

Postby runyan99 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:29 am

RRR wrote:
You're right, It looks like this works. Can you give some simple steps on how you went about doing this?

Thanks
Rick


There is one trick to help you choose the colors you want. Use the Select Color feature in Paint on other maps or pictures that contain colors that look about right. Then look at the Red Green Blue values for that color, which Paint will tell you under custom colors, and then you can put those values manually into the BF editor.
User avatar
runyan99
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:32 am

Postby RRR » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:57 am

runyan99 wrote:
RRR wrote:
You're right, It looks like this works. Can you give some simple steps on how you went about doing this?

Thanks
Rick


There is one trick to help you choose the colors you want. Use the Select Color feature in Paint on other maps or pictures that contain colors that look about right. Then look at the Red Green Blue values for that color, which Paint will tell you under custom colors, and then you can put those values manually into the BF editor.


Thanks, I'll try experimenting with that. (I'm actually workin gwith BiN scen editor, but I'm thinking they're pretty similar.

Thanks,
Rick
RRR
Private
Private
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:51 pm

Postby runyan99 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:46 pm

An update showing my map with some units on it. Here are the German units at scenario start, racing to cross the Dneipr at the Kanev bridge. Looks like a tabletop wargame to me.

Image
User avatar
runyan99
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:32 am

Postby Brubaker » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:29 pm

This is really neat Runyan. Good job.

I think this ought to be the basic instruction for people wanting to create a scenario. Everyone gets excited about pretty maps (including me :oops: ) and they certainly do have a place in the game but it is what you are doing here that is 90% of the work. That is, getting a scenario researched and input and balanced etc. Once all that work is done (and it really is a HUGE task) you have a playable scenario. Full stop. It is at that point you can create a fancy skin (map) if you wish.

Cheers

Brubaker
User avatar
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:57 am

Postby Robjess » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:37 pm

Too true Brubaker.
User avatar
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5126
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:33 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia


Return to Battlefront Scenario Design

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron