Cassino

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Cassino

Postby laska2k4 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:05 pm

this is what I'm working on, tips on map mod are welcome.

max

laska2k4
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby laska2k4 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:10 pm

that's big deal

max
laska2k4
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:01 pm

Map looks great mate.. well done.. the only thing I would say is that I would make the roads thinner.. but Im running dragging that from the bottom of the barrel to come up with feedback.. so in other words, its not really a big issue.

Again well done! Im sure your talents will be well sort after here! :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby laska2k4 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:16 pm

Robjess wrote:I would make the roads thinner..

this make sense, too bigger.

I would to expand the map 10 km north including allied attack at M.Cifalco and another 15 km on the southern front for the British advance at Castelforte.
laska2k4
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Noakesy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:32 pm

I would love some Italy games with the BF engine, I think they will work well. As per another post I made, at a strategic level Italy moved too slowly to make it a playable game, but at a tactical level it could be quite different (e.g. the closing stages of Cassino as opposed to the months before hand blowing up our own HQs etc)
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Howard7x » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:48 am

Map looks awesome m8, how the hell do you get them to look so good? I wish i could do it but ive no idea where to get the maps from :-(
Never, ever.... ever again!

Image ImageImageImageImage
Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby vonjanok » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:42 pm

ever heard about real wargames ? (i.e. with map and counters ?). I think they are a good starting point.

vonjanok
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Howard7x » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:54 pm

Yes, i have a few, however, id like to know how to translate them into SSG's game engine. Thats the bit im struggling with. But thankyou all the same. :roll:
Never, ever.... ever again!

Image ImageImageImageImage
Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Gregor Whiley » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:20 pm

Howard7x wrote:Yes, i have a few, however, id like to know how to translate them into SSG's game engine. Thats the bit im struggling with. But thankyou all the same. :roll:

Map making is part science and part art. The art is in approaching the task with right frame of mind. The map is a representation of the terrain of the battlefield rather than a photo taken from a satellite. If you're looking at an existing wargame map then it has already gone through this representational process, so don't get hung on whether there was or was a road there in 1943 (or whenever) or the exact location of various insignificant hamlets, as the creators of the wargame map will already have consigned any number of inconvenient truths to oblivion.

Much more important is the question of scale and size. The map must be big enough to let the battle play out without the map edges constantly intruding into play, but not so large that there aren't enough units to make a sensible military deployment. Again, if you have an existing map then this should have been done for you.

Apart from that, it's a question of scale. Consider the scale of the existing map and the scale that you wish to use in Battlefront and you'll see that a rule of thumb will emerge that allows a conversion. The secret of success is that a rule of thumb will be good enough, so just have a go.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby fjell75 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:34 am

Wow...Great map! :D
How is this scenario going?
fjell75
Corporal
Corporal