Scenario Wishlist...

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Robjess » Wed May 16, 2007 7:10 pm

To be honest Chris is doing all of the hard work at the moment, I simply did the map for him and will be available for when he calls upon me :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Noakesy » Wed May 16, 2007 10:22 pm

Is Epsom one of the campaigns around Caen (I seem to recall it is)? If so, really looking forward to this. I'm currently playing Normandy and would enjoy the opportunity to try a different angle on this that doesn't result in me simply getting slaughtered :D Good luck Chris/Rob
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:56 pm

I am getting the urge to dip my feet into designing a scenario. :wink:

Was looking at the Russo Finnish War, Battle of Suomissalmi. I have started digging round for references to form an OOB for both sides to start with, any help on this appreciated.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Brubaker » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:25 pm

Talos I think this site has all the info you need:
http://www.winterwar.com/

Brubaker
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:16 pm

Thanks just what I am after.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Ian » Wed May 07, 2008 8:47 pm

Things have been a bit quiet on this tread. I thought I’ll stir it up a bit… :lol:

Currently researching the Battle of the Bulge, yes the entire thing. I managed to find the order of battles for both Allied and Germany on the web.

Also looking into a hypothetical cold war turned hot in Europe. Managed to find the entire Warsaw Pact and NATO oobs. I created a copy of the stock Battlefront folder and played around with changing horse units to helicopters. Including changing the sound file and in game images to that of a helicopter, and it worked fine.

I think this could at a interesting dimension to the game on the modern battle field. It will be possible to ad helicopters as supply units, combat units (airborne infantry) and scout units to name just a few.

Not sure if the license agreements will allow this type of scenario to be made available if I should actually create it. Maybe some one can give me more info about this.
Ian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robjess » Wed May 07, 2008 9:33 pm

I would not recommend changing sounds and things as part of any scenario design package that you do. It will only cause problems for SSG when users start complaining to them that they want their 'horse' sound back.

The idea is good.. but I would steer away from it if I was you.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Ian » Thu May 08, 2008 4:39 pm

Thanks for replying Robjess. Point taken.
Ian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Thu May 08, 2008 5:26 pm

You could state very clearly in the readme or manual of the scenario that the sound and graphic files have changed and that they should install the scenario on a seperate version of Battlefront to avoid losing the normal settings. There should not necessarily be a problem with editing sounds, as long as you make clear that you did it, not SSG, and that you encourage the user to avoid causing damage to the standard product by using a seperate installation.

Changing icons shouldn't be a problem, as a few scenario's have done that and it has only been approved thus far.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Chris Merchant » Thu May 08, 2008 5:34 pm

seperate version of Battlefront

I think that might cause the game to crash if there's multiple versions of the game installed on the same machine, due to the registry settings - could be wrong though as I haven't tried it.

cheers
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Ian » Thu May 08, 2008 7:23 pm

Chris I think you are right on the money…after some testing a copy of the stock game proved unstable due to crashes. I’ll scrap this idea. :(

I shall keep to the original when creating scenarios.
Ian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Talos » Thu May 08, 2008 9:47 pm

Ok, after a good few months I have finally got an OOB, and time line for the battle(s) and entry of reinforcements together for the Battle of Suomissalmi and the Ratte road, after pouring through numerous sources for any scrap of information.

Next step is to decide on the system to use, which leads me to the following, my gut feeling would be BF, but does any one have comments on the way to go for this? Or would DB or the new Kharkov system be better? This is a long term project when I can drag myself away from actual playing :)

Then after deciding on the system whats the next logical step? Map or units?
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Thu May 08, 2008 9:53 pm

Is the game going to be Regimental or Divisional based? How many units will be on each side? Are there elements of each of the systems which you intend to use?

I guess there are some of the questions which may help you decide which system to use for your scenario.. but really at the end of the day it also comes down to personal preference - which system do you prefer?

In my view the Kharkov engine is much better then the BF one.. so if you are thinking BF, I would suggest you holding off a little bit. But if you want to go DBWWII system then use Italy.

When I design scenarios I do the map first. And then the units.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Talos » Thu May 08, 2008 9:59 pm

Thanks Rob.

Regiment/Battalion level with some companies. I think you have answered my question(s) for the moment I will start looking at putting a basic map together and wait for Kharkov.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Previous

Return to Battlefront Scenario Design