Scenario Wishlist...

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Old Scenarios from Decisive Battles

Postby Wilhammer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:48 pm

How about TAO 6 for Battlefront?

Runyan, I'd like to see your Kanev scenario done in this system.
Wilhammer
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Howard7x » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:35 am

Carrington wrote:
Howard7x wrote:1. Stalingrad - broken down into districts. A particular sector could be one scenario. Looking at the OOB, it can be done. Making a map would be the difficult part.

2. Okinawa

3. Iwo Jima

Stalingrad/City? Or Stalingrad offensive/encirclement?

For the city, I'd recommend the Turning Point/Stalingrad Map or the map from Streets of Stalingrad. For the Soviet offensive, MMP's Enemy at the Gates has a good map, though it stretches to Rostov.

I would concentrate on the battle to take stalingrad ending at the volga rather than the encirclement. Close Combat Stalingrad for CCV is where i got the idea for this.

I was actually thinking of 3 scenarios linked together to create 1 battle rather than 1 stupidly large scenario which really would no longer work considering that you cannot move stacks anymore. You could have the northern/central/southern sectors of the city for the 3 scenarios and that way limit the amount of individual counters you would need to push about the map. At Battalion level this would work out just right.

This may just be my first foray into scenario design. My main problem would be the maps.

Anyone willing to help with the maps?
Never, ever.... ever again!

Image ImageImageImageImage
Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby deathshead » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:09 am

runyan99 wrote:
deathshead wrote:I'd love to see Barbarossa at this level. Similar to DNO from TOAW. What a massive scenario that is. :D

Yeah that's a brilliant idea. It would only be about 1800 counters to push around on the German side. Quite managable.

I like my wargames deep, WITP is one of my favorites. I sometimes spend 4-6 hours on a turn.

I think it would be enjoyable, but I guess that's not everyone's cup of tea.
While the activities of the 3rd SS Totenkopf thoroughly disgust me. The emblem fielded by them is surely one of the most feared you will see.
deathshead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Kilgore Trout » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:35 am

Howard7x wrote:This may just be my first foray into scenario design. My main problem would be the maps.

Anyone willing to help with the maps?

Howard,

If you are serious about doing a scenario and can get far enough along in the process that there is a realistic chance of it being completed I should be able to find time to help with your map. I assume you would do the underlying map defining the various terrain types and I would do the graphic overlay. I can also help you with counter graphics if needed.

I am just about to start a scenario of my own. This time it will be much smaller in scope than OMG and a bit more obscure (and a lot more manageable for me).

K.T.
Last edited by Kilgore Trout on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. "

--Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Kilgore Trout
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Old Scenarios from Decisive Battles

Postby runyan99 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:40 am

Wilhammer wrote:How about TAO 6 for Battlefront?

If someone will make me a Kanev map, I can, in time, figure out how to do the OOB and the rest. I just cannot make a map.
runyan99
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Kilgore Trout » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:21 am

runyan99 wrote:
Wilhammer wrote:How about TAO 6 for Battlefront?

If someone will make me a Kanev map, I can, in time, figure out how to do the OOB and the rest. I just cannot make a map.

Runyan,

If you know what battle you're trying to simulate, you should be able to make the rudimentary map that contains all the information the game system needs to handle movement and combat. There are several people on this forum that are willing to help with the graphic artwork (the map you see when the game is being played) that overlays that map. I just responded to Howard's post above but I can offer you the same help. If you can make the game playable, the graphics should be the least of your worries.

K.T.
Image Image
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. "

--Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Kilgore Trout
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby JSS » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:13 am

To follow up on Kilgore T's comments:

The rudimentary map can be as basic as a Paint or Powerpoint cartoon... even a jpeg of a tactical map/drawing can be used... anything that can be converted into bmp.
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby runyan99 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:57 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote:
Runyan,

If you know what battle you're trying to simulate, you should be able to make the rudimentary map that contains all the information the game system needs to handle movement and combat. There are several people on this forum that are willing to help with the graphic artwork (the map you see when the game is being played) that overlays that map. I just responded to Howard's post above but I can offer you the same help. If you can make the game playable, the graphics should be the least of your worries.

K.T.

Okay well, I have about 1/8th of the map data in there so far. I guess I will continue to tinker with it.
runyan99
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby JoeRockhead » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:19 am

Is anyone thinking about doing a Tarawa scenario?
I used to have a board game that had Tarawa and Saipan as the
campaigns. I would like to see how a Tarawa scanario would play.
JoeRockhead
New Recruit

Postby BatManuel » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:57 am

Operation Merkur by Brubaker would probably be great if ported to BF :roll:
// BatManuel
BatManuel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Brubaker » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:35 pm

I agree Bat I will be the first to play once you have done it :D
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Howard7x » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:29 am

Brubaker wrote:I agree Bat I will be the first to play once you have done it :D

But........ your not allowed to have a life. Your sole purpose in life is DB/BF scenario design. How dare you suggest otherwise! :lol:
Never, ever.... ever again!

Image ImageImageImageImage
Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby gambler » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:00 am

I will probably start playing around with some scenario creation relatively soon, but I'm more of a tinkerer than a finisher in these things. So while these are scenario ideas I may play with, I can hope that maybe one or two will attract others!

Battles of Soltsy and Starya: These are two smaller battles in which the Soviets counterattacked the Germans during Barbarossa, on the way to Leningrad. I have the GMT game that coves the subject and with the maps at a scale exactly twice that of Battlefront's scale, it should be relatively easy to translate.

Rostov: Also inspired by one of GMT's games, this battle has Germans and Russians alike attacking and defending in the Rostov area. Really nice situation.

Something Norwegian.... Almost nothing ever gets done on this campaign and it could be fun.

Something Finnish... Same thing as for the Norwegians.

The invasion of the the Netherlands... Think Market Garden, except with the Germans attacking the Dutch!
gambler
New Recruit

Postby BatManuel » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:18 am

My masterplan failed... :oops:

Seriously, Merkur would work great on this scale. Not implying anything.
// BatManuel
BatManuel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Brubaker » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:37 pm

Kreta III will have to wait (at least from my perspective anyway) for a while. One thing about DB scenarios are that they are more complex to create. There are some additional data values to input which although relatively few in number, then go on to affect all manner of other values. This creates balancing issues etc. And that takes time. Which means projects under way right now take longer than before etc etc which places May 1941 at the end of a long list :evil:

But I still like the idea. And the skeleton outline of the whole island does look good in photoshop at 100,000:1 ...

Maybe one day.

Brubaker
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Battlefront Scenario Design