Scenario Wishlist...

Got an interesting idea about a new scenario design? ...or maybe you just need some help with the Scenario Editor; this is the place!

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby JSS » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:01 am

Ola Berli wrote:JSS,

in regards of the Winter War. Is it perhaps The Battle of Suomissalmi,
that is the best one. I have seen photos from that battle quite chilling
long colonnes of russian soldiers with all hard ware and horses wiped
out. Covered with snow many frozed to death.. looks ghost... a whole
division. The finnish side had only a few hundred fallen the russian side
28000!

Ola

I'm really counting on getting my reference next month. Battle had a Russian division (+) strung out along several miles of a snow bound road and Fin ski units moving in and out... simply dessimating the Russian formation.

A lot like MacArthur's error pushing to the Yalu... only 1,000x worse :shock:
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Ola Berli » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:23 am

Yes, it's that one :D
War does not determine who is right - only who
is left.
Ola Berli
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: How about some of the old Run5 Published Scenarios?

Postby Noakesy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:14 pm

Robert wrote:Guadalcanal,
Chinese Farm (Israel vs Egypt)

Is this system likely to be possible to use in modern conflicts very well? Chinese Farm was my favourite non-WWII board game, I'd love to see that done well on a pc game?
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Re: How about some of the old Run5 Published Scenarios?

Postby JSS » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:03 pm

Noakesy wrote:
Is this system likely to be possible to use in modern conflicts very well? Chinese Farm was my favourite non-WWII board game, I'd love to see that done well on a pc game?

The game engine (and its scenario editor) look to be flexible enough to attempt just about any battle.

Its designed around WWII... so any battle earlier than WWII is completely doable... further you come towards toward modern (or future???) battles, the more the scenario designer has to be imaginative. Modern weapon systems would be the toughest issue (i.e. modeling capabilities not present in WWII).
JSS
Site Admin

Question about BF scenario design

Postby Robert » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:10 am

I still have a full set of Run5s and a good number of scenarios for the first incarnation of the Battlefront system (HOM, PB, Rommel etc.) sitting on my hard drive in various states of completion.

I'm thinking that it might be fun to spend a few rainy weekends quietly transmogrifying those scenarios so that they will run on the new incarnation of Battlefront.

So my question is, how much use will the old data be on the new system?

(1) Assuming that the scale of the battle stays the same, are the old maps still useful? Obviously the movement and combat penalties will require tweaking but I'm thinking the old number will serve as a useful rule of thumb.

(2) Likewise I'd like an idea as to how useful the unit-data in the old sceanarios would be as a rule of thumb and such? I ask because my Run5s are in storage in NZ and I'd have to send for them...

(3) How daunting is the AI setup? Is it similar to the one implimented in CAW (the currently published version)?

(4) What tools do I need to paint a map for the scenario? Does the system require a unique bitmap file type with one of a kind colour pallets and such? I've acquired Corel Paint ver 12, Corel Draw ver 12, and Corel Painter. Will these be sufficient or do I need something more old school?
Robert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

A List of Battlefront Scenarios from the first incarnation

Postby Robert » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:11 am

From Rommel:
Alem el Halfa
Cauldron
Sidi Rezegh
Invasion Malta
Maknassy
Syria
Kasserine Pass
Terbourga Gap

From Panzer Battles
Kanev
Korsun
Moscow
Prokhorovka
Minsk

From Halls of Montezuma
Mexico City
Belleau Woods
Iwo Jima
Okinawa
Pusan
Inchon
Hue

From Battlefront
Saipan
Crete
Stalingrad
Bastogne

From Battles in Normandy
Omaha
Utah
Sword
Cherbourg
Carentan
Villers-Bocage
Goodwood
Epsom

From MacArthur's War
The 38th
Taejon
Naktong
Unsan
Chongchong
Chosin
Chipyong
Imjin

Some of the other BF scenarios that I didn't mention in the previous list
Singapore
Malaya
Invasion Greece
Khe Sahn
Desert Storm
State Farm 79
Sedan
Ardennes

That should give people a few ideas!

And for the record I would pay for a CD-ROM with these scenarios ported to the new system. Because while I like to tinker with the scenario editor, I'd rather be playing the scenario than making it! :D
Robert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:01 am

Yes, I remember them.
Much good ideas for sce. Looks like we gamers will have enough
sce. to play :D

Postby Ola Berli » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:04 am

He, he and that Guest is me :o

Ola
is left.
Ola Berli
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robjess » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:53 am

Fixed, guests can read but not post now :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

porting from old BF system

Postby Berger » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:26 pm

While it sounds like a nice idea, I'm guessing that porting from the old Battlefront series will not be very easy.

Due to system limitations and no stacking of units, the OOB in the old BF was limited to 3 divisions per side of max 20 units each, or a grand total of 60 units max per side (plus 3 HQ units). There are likely to be far more units per side in the upcoming release - Gazala and MG both look like several hundred units per side.

Historical OOBs often had to be squished and simplified to fit the unit number limitations and the inflexible command structures under the old game, so OOBs from that system will be of only limited use.

Further, the unit data is quite different in the two games, same game name notwithstanding. For instance, the old game had units with up to 15 strength points and had differentiated values for unit experience, equipment value, etc. None of those values will be directly translatable to the new system of 4 unit steps with timed replacements, separate attack and defense values, shock and AT values, etc. It's really a completely new game.

The one thing that could be of some use is the old maps, although there as well I'm not sure about the resolution - based on the AARs, map size looks to be much greater in the new system.

But at least all those old scenarios will still give us inspiration!
Berger
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Carrington » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:46 am

Howard7x wrote:1. Stalingrad - broken down into districts. A particular sector could be one scenario. Looking at the OOB, it can be done. Making a map would be the difficult part.

2. Okinawa

3. Iwo Jima

Stalingrad/City? Or Stalingrad offensive/encirclement?

For the city, I'd recommend the Turning Point/Stalingrad Map or the map from Streets of Stalingrad. For the Soviet offensive, MMP's Enemy at the Gates has a good map, though it stretches to Rostov.
Carrington
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ola Berli » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:21 am

Another city battle who could be great for BF are Berlin.
is left.
Ola Berli
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Canuck » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:48 am

How 'bout the Japanese attack on Hong Kong? Would that be an interesting scenario?
Canuck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby deathshead » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:33 am

I'd love to see Barbarossa at this level. Similar to DNO from TOAW. What a massive scenario that is. :D
While the activities of the 3rd SS Totenkopf thoroughly disgust me. The emblem fielded by them is surely one of the most feared you will see.
deathshead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby runyan99 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:31 pm

deathshead wrote:I'd love to see Barbarossa at this level. Similar to DNO from TOAW. What a massive scenario that is. :D

Yeah that's a brilliant idea. It would only be about 1800 counters to push around on the German side. Quite managable.
runyan99
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Battlefront Scenario Design