Counterbattery fire questions - how does it work?

Discussion relating to Battlefront

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Counterbattery fire questions - how does it work?

Postby jjdenver » Thu May 13, 2010 2:43 am

Hi,

How does counterbattery fire work? It was kindly explained to me recently and I want to confirm my understanding hopefully with input from SSG.

Here's my understanding:
1) An artillery unit firing has a chance to be spotted based on a scenario setting (ex 30%)

2) If the artillery unit then moves there is a reduction in the chance it's spotted depending on scenario setting (ex 30% becomes 20% if the unit moves)

3) If the spotted artillery unit is fired at by other artillery, double dice are always used to resolve the fire (ex must roll double 4's instead of just 4)

4) Any other units in the hex with the spotted artillery are completely irrelevant. By this I mean that if a dug-in unit is in the hex it won't help because the spotted unit being fired at must be hit by double dice anyway, and also the other units in the hex won't take any step loss- only the spotted unit will be hit.

All this correct?

Thx
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Roger Keating » Thu May 13, 2010 8:50 am

Let's answer these questions ...

1) Each artillery unit carries a value within it, called the counter battery value, which is between 0 and 10. 10 means it is auto-sighted when firing and 0 means 10% chance of being spotted. In ATD Axis units generally have a 10/20% chance and the Soviet units a 10/30% chance of being spotted.

2) When an artillery unit moves it has a 25% chance every hex of dropping the counter battery flag. So you can get unlucky and move 10 hexes but still have a counter battery flag attached to you.

3) If the Artillery unit is not spotted by a regular ground unit it will require a double die to hit, but if it is actually spotted this will revert to a single die hit.

4) Generally this is true. If a unit is not visible it will not take an artillery hit. There could be a situation where the artillery is counter battery spotted while another unit is completely spotted but I can't see how this would occur in a real scenario with reasonable values.

Hope this helps.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby jjdenver » Thu May 13, 2010 9:50 am

That was very helpful - thanks. Do the same answers apply to the Battlefront system and the newer Kharkov system?

Thanks
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby hank » Thu May 13, 2010 9:52 am

Nice to see BF is still being played. I'm so absorbed in AtD / KDotD that I don't spend much time right now on BF but I think its a diamond in the rough.

I would like to see it developed into a 1Km/Hex game; 8 hour turns with night fatigue; and direct fire attacks across two or three hexes.

With the latest McNamara mods to HPS, there's nothing more shocking than moving an armored company down a road and getting stopped in your tracks by an 88 hidden in some woods two hexes away that knock out a few tanks; or an armored unit pulled up behind the front lines getting plastered from a couple of hexes away by some Tigers, Panthers or Firefly's.

... a pipe dream it is ... I know there's limited resources but I can dream
hank
Major
Major

Postby Roger Keating » Fri May 14, 2010 9:35 am

The BF system is a little different ... no counter battery values and no HQ's to worry about.

In BF supply trucks are hit last and in Kharkov HQ's are hit last as there are no supply trucks.

Otherside the code looks fairly similar.
Roger Keating
SSG

Return to Battlefront Discussion