Operation Crusader PBEM question

Discussion relating to Battlefront

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Operation Crusader PBEM question

Postby jjdenver » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi,

I recently started a PBEM game of Op Crusader. I'm playing the British side.

This is my first PBEM game with the Battlefront system, and I feel relatively incompetent compared to the Battles in Italy system - it is quite different.

By turn 4 or 5 I was pretty sure that I had no chance to win the scenario.

British artillery is limited and even though firing it every turn, I rarely roll the needed double 5's to knock off an Axis step (every Axis hex has a dug-in or under-strongpoint unit since the Brits are trying to advance)...so softening up a hex I want to attack isn't very practical.

When I move some recon units forward to check out what's beyond my front line as I advance, the combat advisor rarely shows me an odds possibility beyond 2-1 or 3-1 - this with a full tank brigade and infantry brigade within attack range.

My opponent seems to be able to regularly generate 8-1, or 10-1 odds attacks on my Brits, even when they are dug in as they advance in stacks of 3 units.

I've never been more befuddled by a scenario or game in my life - and I've played a TON of strategy games. I have no idea how to succeed in this scenario.

Has anyone tried this Operation Crusader scenario? Is British success possible? Any tips specific to playing the Brits here? I made the mistake of not entrenching at the end of my moves on the first few turns which cost me a few units, and over-moved a few recon units - losing them when they couldn't retreat far enough to dig in. But I'm now playing it very cautious, still getting whipped at high odds, and unable to generate any attacks beyond 3-1 except on surrounded hexes held by Italians.

'm pretty successful in every other PBEM system I've tried but this scenario is killing me.

Ideas/comments?

Thx
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:38 pm

I have played this scenario a few times by PBEM and the British player loses every time.

Mind you there are moments when the game seems it could go either way.

Play it twice, total the points for both games and the highest is the winner!

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:08 pm

Hey Joe,

Yeah I thought the Brits are doomed to lose, but it sounds like your experience is a little different than mine. You said there are moments when it seems like it could go either way.

In my game I can't really generate any momentum at all. I don't think I've been able to cause a single German casualty step other than when the German is attacking one of my stacks, when I'm firing artillery, or when I'm using one of my rare air strikes.

The Italians i can make a little headway against but the 3 german divisions are overpowering.

What did the Brit do to make it seem like the game might go his way?

Thx
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:27 pm

Concentrate all assets and don't worry about the flanks!

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Battlefront Discussion