setting up a defensive line question

Discussion relating to Battlefront

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

setting up a defensive line question

Postby Pascal » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:48 pm

i often find myself wondering about this when i'm setting up a defensive line and digging in units - is it better to stack 2 or 3 units together in a hex, leave one hex open, then stack 2 or 3 units in the next hex ? or is it better to have 1 or 2 units in every hex, with no open spaces in the line ?

i'm interested to know what other people think.

cheers
Pascal
Pascal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:33 pm

Where a hex is a clear hex its not a good idea to place a unit there. The exception is where it happens to be at the base of a "V" in a defensive line. It can be difficult to attack such a hex.

In each hex, check the shock defense value of the terrain and of youre units. Then position you're units so that each stack has some shock defense.

If possible ensure each stack has an elite unit and each stack is entrenched.

There will be times when you need to leave gaps. The solutin here is to have a ready reaction force in the background ready to pounce.

If the enemy is still some turns away you can place detachments and mines in front of the exposed troops.
-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:03 pm

Generally speaking, I prefer to have a unit (as in: 1 unit) with a high amount of steps behind the defensive line, so that any attacker that kicks my forward units back will have to face a unit he probably couldn't see previously (and thus couldn't shell) and face the retreating units. With a bit of luck, that will keep your units alive for a while.

Finding a good defensive position can be difficult, as some maps are made up almost entirely of clear/farmland terrain. In such maps, holding the line in a less suitable hex means that you have to think more about unit placement.

If you're defending rough terrain, unit placement matters less as the attacker gets serious penalties in any case.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Battlefront Discussion