few newbie question

Discussion relating to Battlefront

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

few newbie question

Postby etagimbo » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:26 pm

Hi,
I am a very casual computer wargamer and bought Battlefront a few days ago. (Though I am a long-term wargamer, first game was MacArthur's War on C64! Last WG I played was Age of Rifles).

My first fight was against the interface. I was completely overwhelmed and confused by all the icons and information on the screen. But I am slowly getting it.

My main problem is keeping the overview over my units, even in the smallest scenarios. Here are my questions:

- Is there a way to toggle through the units reversely? Like the "n" key, but switching to the previous unit, not the next one.

- There is the OOB screen. But unfortunately one cannot select a unit there and switch to it in the map screen directly. Or is there a way to do so?

I would like to be able to go to a specific Unit as quickly as possible without having to find it on the map (futile if it's not on top of the stack) or switching through all units by the 'n' key until I found the specific unit. It would be ideal if there was a way to go to a specicif unit through the OOB screen.

Regards
Etagimbo
etagimbo
Private
Private

Postby Abwehr » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:51 pm

I believe the answers to both of your questions is "no", unfortunately.

There are several ways to find/select units more or less quickly. You could hit the "n" key until you find the unit you needed, you can select a unit and keep switching to the next unit in the formation, you can activate unit display (instead of interdiction, there's a toggle on the left) and search for the unit using that (clicking on the unit types selects the next unit of that type, you can narrow the search down with the buttons below the indicator of the amount of units of a certain type) or you can go to the OOB and check the coordinates of a unit in order to be able to find it on the map.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:55 pm

No one has ever asked to put in an OB to Map button, or so I believe, so I never included it. It is an excellent suggestion and I have put it into the Kharkov game ... a last minute add that will not be in the manual ..

In Kharkov I have tidied up the next button a great deal but there is always the use of the next button with the control button held down that does reverse the direction of the selection.

I hope that this is at least acknowledgement that we listen.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby etagimbo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:56 am

Roger Keating wrote:No one has ever asked to put in an OB to Map button, or so I believe, so I never included it. It is an excellent suggestion and I have put it into the Kharkov game ... a last minute add that will not be in the manual ..

Thank you, I am glad that I can contribute. Now I must buy Kharkov!

Roger Keating wrote:In Kharkov I have tidied up the next button a great deal but there is always the use of the next button with the control button held down that does reverse the direction of the selection.

I didn't know about CTRL and next button. That's already very helpful. What about making <SHIFT>-<n> cycle through the units backwards?

Regards,
etagimbo
etagimbo
Private
Private

Postby Roger Keating » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:34 am

I think the 'back' feature is fairly well hidden as it is and whether control or shift doesn't make a huge difference.

There are a number of features in the game that have this control feature applied to them, such as when testing a computer vs computer game. If you hold down the control button as you start the game causes the game to repeat giving a text file with all the results of the finished games. It means that you can run a test overnight and see what happens.

There are a few features that should be made a little clearer but they are minor in nature and there aren't many of them.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby etagimbo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:49 pm

Roger Keating wrote:I think the 'back' feature is fairly well hidden as it is and whether control or shift doesn't make a huge difference.

What I mean is that shift or control (I don't care either) and the keyboard key 'N' could be enabled to walk through the units backwards, not just the next-button on the screen.
etagimbo
Private
Private

Postby CESteman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:07 pm

Finding units has always been a pain for me in BF and BII. Guess I thought I was the only one. My bad!
Image ImageImageImage
CESteman
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby StarMan99 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:05 pm

Hey Roger,

Any chance of adding the OOB screen-to-map button to Battlefront as a patch?

Thanks

SSG Rules! :D
StarMan99
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Roger Keating » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:39 am

Ahh .. patches .. a word that will scare any programmer. To get a patch approved and through the process is a bit like releasing a game. The Matrix side have a lot of work to do as does everyone here at SSG.

The rules on patches is, basically, that something has gone seriously wrong and a patch is required for fixing it. If that were the case then we can add 'little' features in that patch, as the procedure will be carried out anyway.

The problem is that there was never really a lot of pressure to put that function in until recently. I certainly had not thought of doing it but when approached, and I looked at how to do it, I found it fairly simple to implement.

This is like the 'control O' function that moves your units to a combat situation. The combat advisor is simply a visual representation of a fraction of the code the AI uses to calculate combats. By intercepting the AI you can carry out your attack pretending that it is in fact the computer. I didn't think it would work until I tried it, and found it surprisingly easy to do.

It means that I will always keep my mind open to new ideas and functions but can't guarantee that the system will allow them to be backdated to older programs.
Roger Keating
SSG

Return to Battlefront Discussion