A Question of Scale...

Discussion relating to Battlefront

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

A Question of Scale...

Postby Berkut » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:34 pm

It is too bad that the the BF engine only supports unit scales up to the Regimental.

With the relatively sophisticated HQ system, you could create some really great strategic European WW2 scenarios using divisions or corps as the base unit and rolling up into Corps/Armies/Fronts as the HQ level units.
Berkut
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Brubaker » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:14 pm

Why do you say that Berkut? There is no re4ason you couldn't create any scale battle really. The only catch of course would be battles involving large numbers of units might take ages to play because of the single unit move 'feature'.

But now I think Ian has broken the all time record for units in a scenario :shock: there is no reason something like Rob's Europe scenario couldn't be replicated.
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Berkut » Thu May 01, 2008 2:31 am

Because the scenario editor only allows you to place Regiments as the largest unit at the counter level, at least as far as I can tell.
Berkut
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Roger Keating » Thu May 01, 2008 9:40 am

Regiments is a name in the editor, it doesn't really involve the game in any way, as do formations .. It is up to the scenario designer to work out how they are going to frame their game within this system.

Obviously I am not going to allow the names of formations, regiments or even units to be an editable field as that would make the creation process even more difficult.

I can easily see how a battalion level game couild be created as could a higher level one.

The system can be pushed, just that it is designed to be easier for a certain scale. The 'size' of units, for example, is only a pointer to a graphic shape which can be changed, so that it does not necessarily represent the name that the editor allocates to it.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Thu May 01, 2008 12:52 pm

You need to think outside of the box.. as Roger and Brubaker have stated.. the reference to Regiment is simply a label.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Brubaker » Fri May 02, 2008 10:19 pm

Hey Rob do you think you might port over Europe one day?
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Fri May 02, 2008 10:36 pm

I cannt ever see me porting Europe over to BF.. I think the inability to move a 'stack' of units and being restricted to having to move individual units would make each a labor to play. It takes long enough as it is to play a turn using the DBWWII engine.

But then again never say never I guess.. who knows SSG may present me with an engine which would suit the scenario one day.. so you never I guess.

But the other problem for me at the moment is having a small toddler means I just dont have _any_ spare time on my hands anymore. As you know Brubaker if you are going to design a scenario properly and make sure its quality then you are talking 100's of man hours in development and testing.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Brubaker » Fri May 02, 2008 10:54 pm

Robjess wrote:But the other problem for me at the moment is having a small toddler means I just dont have _any_ spare time on my hands anymore. As you know Brubaker if you are going to design a scenario properly and make sure its quality then you are talking 100's of man hours in development and testing.

100's! :shock: And you are right about the toddler - it has taken me three years to balance it out.
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Sat May 03, 2008 12:46 am

Robjess wrote:But the other problem for me at the moment is having a small toddler means I just dont have _any_ spare time on my hands anymore.

Kuh, excuses excuses.... :lol: :wink:
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Hey Rob

Postby critter » Sat May 03, 2008 8:22 am

Talk them into letting you use their system and condense it to Barbarossa,
put the final touches on it, release it as a Add on to DBWWII. I'l pre order a copy and you can use the money to hire a sitter....
critter
Major
Major

Return to Battlefront Discussion