My first impression

Discussion relating to Battlefront

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

My first impression

Postby valter » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:10 am

Hi to all. I am not a new member in this forum but I was absent for nearly two years. I am glad that everything is going well in order. I have just purchased battlefront and I must say some things about my first impression:
The music is just awesome!!!
The game engine, indirect-direct fire, overrun system (no need any more 6-1 and 7-1 odds without artillery to succeed it), attack bullets, HQ bonus are again awesome!!!
I was extremely positively impressed, but there are two points that I didn’t like:
1. The combat display area. In battlefront you have to right click to obtain the information for positive and negative shifts. Not a very easy thing to do.

2. The units information at the right side of the screen.

In DB system it is very easy to see how many attack and defend points it loses because the unit is out of range (the red +3 and +5) unlike in battlefront and in the movement sector, you can not see how many OP’s the unit will gain with extended movement (18 for extended and 14 for regular movement in DB system but in battlefront there is not extended movement information).

Anyway that was my observations. I must congratulate you for the new game.
Keep up the good work.
valter
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Gregor Whiley » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:27 am

Thanks for the kind comments about the game, its very good to hear that you are enjoying the game. I understand your points about the accessibility of information. The problem is that there is a natural limit to how much info can be provided on the main screen. Once past a certain point, we are forced into right clicking or similar means to show all the info. If we don't provide a means of viewing all the relevant info, then people also complain. So to a certain extent our hands are tied.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby Joe » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:24 am

I have been playing a lot of Battlefront and recently retutrned to playing a bit of BiI.

The user interface of Battlefront is much superior. In the sidebar it is much easier to select an individual unit and its easier to quickly locate all the units of a division.

Battlefront needs to the ability to move a whole stack at once and as mentioned above, a screen showing all the shifts.

In Battlefront arty can destroy steps but cannot add to the shifts. In any one turn an arty unit ought to be able to do any of 3 actions

Destroy an enemy step or;
Add a shift to an attack or;
Place interdiction.

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:53 am

There was always problems in moving a stack that were not that apparent to a player. Approximations were made about the type of unit, type of terrain and OPs and generally many ops were wasted by some units during the move. The convenience was that a large group of units could move at once.

In Battlefront the HQ also radically alters the movement characteristics of all units thus whereas one unit could move 10 hexes an identical unit in another formation could move 5. There are other factors involved but movement is the major one. The decision was made to force players to move one unit at a time, which the AI has always done.

I have contemplated allowing the CC advisor to move all the outlined units to a possible combat, or other predefined moves that could be carried out under AI control, but felt that it could produce a negative effect within the game as units may not move to their 'ideal' position. This is something I have experienced before. I remember once adding a feature where a unit would 'panic' when told to attack and I was accused of choosing the players best unit to panic in a given combat.

The reason that Artillery has been split from combat and given indirect fire is to make the game more enjoyable and slightly more realistic. If we added a lot more features to the artillery, which we obviously could, then the game could quickly become an 'artillery game' rather than a game of maneuver and destruction. We wanted to keep the system as simple as possible and even now, feel that the complexity of the system discourages many people from trying the game.

There can be no simple answers to your questions as they lie deep in the design and development of the system, however, I hope the above gives an idea of how we make the choices we do.

Glad you like the game ...
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Brubaker » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:17 am

I think moving the units one at a time is okay as long as the scenario is small in dimensions and unit size. This then limits the type of scenarios that can be built. Probably a scenario like Libya is the absolute largest end of the scale?

I like the idea of auto movement routines. I can accept the AI mistakes in such because I am lazy. A feature of this type used to be in the world at war series (battalion scale), whereby a unit was given a movement location to get to and would continue to do so by itself each turn hence saving the necessity to check it constantly (unless you wanted to). You would get a reinforcement on map edge and could give it a location in the far distance, knowing over three turns (or whatever) it would get there.

This tied in nicely with an 'ambush' routine whereby if a unit ran into an (unseen) enemy unit whilst moving (in strategic mode) it would take stop and take damage. This being the penalty for laziness - but a good one.

Brubaker
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby hank » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:20 am

"...
In Battlefront arty can destroy steps but cannot add to the shifts. In any one turn an arty unit ought to be able to do any of 3 actions

Destroy an enemy step or;
Add a shift to an attack or;
Place interdiction.
..." by Joe

I agree with Joe on this one. I don't think adding these options to artillery would transform the game into an artillery contest; it would just add some more tactical decisions that make the game more interesting.

I can live with the single unit movement ... my own personal opinion of course. I play other games that are much more of a click fest than BF is even with the single movement constraint.

another 2 pennies
hank
Major
Major

Postby hank » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:22 am

Hey !!! I just noticed I got a promotion. I think it deserves yet another post to pat myself on the back. Now you can call me Major Hank.

:-)
hank
Major
Major

Return to Battlefront Discussion