Novorossisk - a mini AAR

Discussion relating to Battlefront

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Novorossisk - a mini AAR

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:56 pm

Hank and I reckon we are about equal in ability. A while ago we completed a set of mirror games of the Saipan scenario - an AAR can be found nearby

And now we have completed a set of mirror games of the Novorossisk scenario. Here is a combined AAR of the 2 games.

In the first game my Germans had a victory of 860 points - an overwhelming victory
In the second game my Russians had a victory of 396 points - Marginal

The first screen shows the bottom right corner of the map and the second screen the bottom left corner of the map. All the action occurs in the bottom section of the map.

Note the coastal town of Alexina is the only Russian supply source on the left side of the map.

Historically, the Russians and Germans were at a stalemate in this area. The Russians broke the stalemate with an amphibious assault.

In the next screen shot we see the value of the objectives and we also see the landing beaches available to the Russians.

The Russians could land over on the left and go for those more valuable objectives. However there is a problem. Once the Russians are ashore, they have only one beach hex providing supply, this is Alexia - the most easterly beach hex.

To stop this the Germans can place a unit in the hex marked with a red “X”. This is adjacent to cliffs and difficult to assault. The zone of control of this unit extends to the adjacent beach hex. As a result, Soviets landing on the left, cannot obtain supply from Alexia.

If we study a typical Russian unit,

…….we see it has, on the top row, 4 attack bullets and it uses 2 bullets in each attack. This means it can make only 2 attacks, before it runs out of attack supply because it is too dangerous for their HQ to land here.

Also note it has, on the bottom row, 4 defense supply cans. After 2 turns if attack it will have only 2 cans of defense supply remaining. The Germans could then mount counter attacks and after 2 more turns the Russian units go “into the red” and they are destroyed.

From this we conclude, the landing have to be at Alexina and Myshako. Clearly Alexina needs to be captured urgently to ensure the Russian supply. In both games, we both landed first at Alexina and then at Myshako.

However, the scenario opens with the landing of Russian airborne troops. His Russian airborne did the usual military thing and immediately tried to link up with the sea borne invasion. However My German troops destroyed them before they could get anywhere.

In the second game, my Russian airborne, took the gamey route. They moved north east. See next screen shot. I have selected the short cut key and highlight the bridges.

I moved my Russian paratroopers to blow the bridges and to block the main route used by the German reinforcements. As it turned out they failed to blow any bridges and were easily destroyed themselves. I had been hoping to slow the German advance to the beaches but my Russian airborne were not much more than a speed hump along the way.

The Russian player needs to be careful not to accidentally capture Vladimirovka. A canny German player would allow the Russian to hold the place till the end of the first turn and then re-capture it on the second turn. Doing this would give the Russian 15 victory points but it could also lead to the release of further German troops onto the map

Anyhow, in both games, we first landed the seaborne troops at Alexina and it fell immediately. The next target was Myshako.

In the first game, I cannot afford to waste troops in immobile defensive positions. My German defense is thin on the ground so my Germans withdrew from Myshako and he walked into a vacant city on turn 2.

However in the second game his Germans decided to stand and fight. It was turn 4 before my Russians captured Myshako. Checking the projected score of both games at this point, his Russians are way ahead of my Russians and I am not confident.

From here the 2 games diverged. In the first game, his Russians concentrated on the right side of the map. Over a few turns, he concentrated massive amounts of artillery and pounded my German defenses, destroying a series of SPs at the left of the line. Then he put in a series of powerful ground attacks. At one point one hex had only one unit of one step strength remaining! Fortunately he ran out of attack supply. I scrambled in defense and ultimately held the line. It was a near run thing!

His concentration on the right meant my troops on the left we able to build replacements and supplies. I decided to capture Myshako. My troops made a tentative advance towards Alexina. I figured he would defend his supply source and move troops from the Myshako to the Alexina area - and then perhaps I could capture Myshako.

However he had built a series of SPs around Myshako and he moved to concentrate around there. Alexina eventually fell. Then I moved on Myshako. I carefully husbanded my attack supply HQs and my troops attacked into the SPs around Myshako.

As his troops were located n SPs they were receiving “yellow” level supply and never “went into the red”. My troops ran out of attack supply and Myshako never fell.

In the second game, I decided my Russians would concentrate on the left side of the map.

As my Russians entered the map, I utilized the Off Map Area and moved troops to the left side.

I only ever captured the 2 objectives on the beaches and did not even capture the third objective near to the beaches. His defense was just too good.

Firstly I had to protect my troops against his murderous artillery attacks and I had to build up attack supply and defend against what I thought would be powerful ground attacks.

However his German troops, just like his Russian troops in the first game, decided to concentrate on breaking through on the right side.

As a result my Russians on the left side had a reprieve. I was able to put in some attacks and destroy a small number of units which helped on the scoreboard if not on the map.

Over on the right side of the map, as I said, his Germans put in powerful attacks trying to break through. He made a one hex advance mid game which caused me much concern. I was forced to land a brigade on the right hand side of the map to bolster the defense. This brigade had been earmarked to land on the left side and with other troops it was planned to advance towards the objectives on the left.

Ultimately, I took one objective on the left when he created a gap.

In the second game, the result could have gone either way. It was only with about 4 turns remaining did I feel confident of a victory.

Great game!

Great game engine!

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby hank » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:10 am

Good AAR. I agree with the assessment. However, I think Joe has exceeded my skills with this game. I'm not so sure we're on the same level any more. Joe has polished his skills quite well; much better than I.

My opponent is a gracious and classy victor. Congratulations on another great game.

Hank
hank
Major
Major

Postby Joe » Fri May 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Bump

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Brubaker » Tue May 20, 2008 12:53 pm

This is really neat Joe - thanks for bumping it.

I too was beaten by you on this scenario so I think you should hereon be known as

"Novorossisk Joe" :shock:

Do you have any other AAR's in design Joe?
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joe » Tue May 20, 2008 4:40 pm

I wrote one for Saipan a while ago that I will now bump

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joe » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:10 am

Bump
Joe