Breathing Life

Discussion relating to Battlefront

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby J Campbell » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:44 am

Hi guys,

BiI was probably the best culmination of the regimental engine that SSG had. I have it an play it every so often but am not that interested in the italian/ med front.

Personally, i liked the uses of tactical commander and airpower in BiI over that employed in BF.

it might seem abit cheap but i often use my arty and airpower to pick off stragglers in BF after retreat from combat.

in my opinion (especially concerning WW2 airpower-tactical) it had to be used in concert with a ground assault to be effective.

All that being said, i love both systems-BF and the games prior to them but just wish we had more to work with. Market garden is fun and all -its just not my thing -neither is the desert war.

Normandy was great -especially with the road to paris add on-really gave both sides somthing to fight about-as you knew the timetable of actual advance and so forth so one could gauge their progrss.
J Campbell
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Carl Myers » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:26 am

J. Campbell
it might seem abit cheap but i often use my arty and airpower to pick off stragglers in BF after retreat from combat.

Which is known as lift and shift. One stops using supporting fire on the enemy position as one leaves the assault positions and places the supporting fire upon avenues of retreat from and counter attack to the enemy position.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Howard7x » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:36 am

I agree with the last few posts, BiI is da bomb! 8)

I also think that a scenario pack for BF would be an excellent idea (especially on the eastern front :wink: ), but somehow i have the feeling they felt the game was not very successful and will probably just move onto another project, learning from the mistakes of BF.

I also recall Gregor saying that next year would be an exciting one for SSG fans and that old fans have something to look forward to. It was in an interview with a gaming site a few months back. Read into that how you want...
Never, ever.... ever again!

Image ImageImageImageImage
Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Joe » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:18 am

I reckon Battlefront is fantastic!

It just needs more scenarios. And / or an easier to use editor.
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Luppas » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:44 am

Hi everybody!

I must agree to the most you write here. I for myself wish me, after one year, also a few more scenarios and I also would pay for them! I think the game engine deserved it.

What I don't like is the comunication from SSG about the future of there games. If you read here in the board or at Matrix, everybody wishes some new scenarios, and nobody of SSG replies on this answers of the users. That gives the feeling if they quit with the game for themselve. So my wish is simply an official statement from SSG about the future of Battlefont.

Cheers,

Luppas
Luppas
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Treale » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:00 am

I'm not sure why SSG abandoned this title. It must have been a financial failure for them???
Treale
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby flintlock » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:18 am

Just to add that I too would've happily payed for additional scenarios. Battlefront is a very good game. It's a shame it hasn't received more support since launch. I guess it was competing for limited resources with CAW, and unfortunately lost out.
flintlock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Treale » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:32 am

flintlock wrote:Just to add that I too would've happily payed for additional scenarios. Battlefront is a very good game. It's a shame it hasn't received more support since launch. I guess it was competing for limited resources with CAW, and unfortunately lost out.

You are right, it is an excellent gaming system! Too bad....
Treale
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby jeffs » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:16 pm

With the excellent update and improvements to the Battlefront manual (which now seems to be up to SSG's usual, very high, standard), and the new free landing variant for the "Market Garden" scenerio, it looks like SSG has turned their attention back to Battlefront. I would suggest that everyone consider downloading the "Market Garden Free Landing" variant (it's a quick and easy download), both because it's a good variant and because it shows player support for the game. Hopefully this is an indicator of more good things to come for this great game engine.

I would certainly be willing to pay for a scenerio pack. Perhaps the folks at SSG could work with some of the people who have been designing scenerios to help them with the trickier parts (such as the AI) and with playtesting. These scenerios would then be included as part of the scenerio pack. This would be similar to what was done with the "Weapons and Warfare"expansion to "Strategic Command 2", so there is some precedent for it. It would also be nice to complete the tutorial. What has been done so far is very good, and nice to have it completed.

Overall, I think Battlefront is the best operational level World War II simulation that I've played, and I'm really excited about the possibilities for making it even better. My thanks to the folks at SSG.
Last edited by jeffs on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All My Best,

Jeff Sutro
jeffs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Gregor Whiley » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:19 pm

It's good to see the level of interest here and the various suggestions. The problem from SSG's point of view is that we have learnt, from bitter experience, that it is completely counterproductive to talk about new products until they are very close to release.

So at the moment, we can't say much except that we are working hard and we're pretty sure that you will like what we're doing.

I appreciate the comments about the different game systems and can say that life would probably have been much easier for us if we just created one game system and then created content for that until everybody got bored. The problem with that is that the system never gets improved, and we find it it impossible not to improve and refine our systems and that's what we're doing now.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby flintlock » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:07 pm

Very encouraging to read, Gregor.

I'm certain that whatever it is that SSG is currently working on will be a quality product. I'm just excited to read that there's something new in the works!
flintlock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby jeffs » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:39 pm

The problem with that is that the system never gets improved, and we find it it impossible not to improve and refine our systems and that's what we're doing now.

I'm very much in favor of expansions that improve and refine the game. I do think though that they should be add ons to the existing game (like the "Across the Dneiper" expansion to "Korsun Pocket") rather than requiring the download of a complete "new" game that is incompatible with the existing game. When the expansion pack is downloaded, the game would be updated to the new standard. There could, of course, also be scenerio specific rules, and the option to play existing scenerios under the old rules if the player(s) so desire. This is similar to what's been done with other games (eg. Civilization 3 & 4, Alpha Centauri, Strategic Command 2, Galactic Civilizations 1& 2) and it seems like it would work well for Battlefront also.

A further refinement of this would be a sort of "hub and spoke" arrangement where the the "hub" is the game engine (which would be updated periodically), and the "spokes" are the scenerio packs, all of which would work with the same game engine. New players could purchase the game engine in conjunction with any of the scenerio packs, and then expand it by purchasing additional scenerio packs as desired.
All My Best,

Jeff Sutro
jeffs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Noakesy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:01 pm

Gregor Whiley wrote:So at the moment, we can't say much except that we are working hard and we're pretty sure that you will like what we're doing.

Good to hear it Gregor, I'm sure we can understand the difficult situation you are in.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Howard7x » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:31 pm

I cant wait. I understand your experiences with BF and the continually pushed back release date. I think it you are definately right to hold back on announcements until you know your close to release, that way when you do announce something and the excitement mounts, no one will be dissapointed and your product will sell alot more. Exciting times are ahead 8)
Never, ever.... ever again!

Image ImageImageImageImage
Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby HercMighty » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:46 am

Gregor Whiley wrote:The problem from SSG's point of view is that we have learnt, from bitter experience, that it is completely counterproductive to talk about new products until they are very close to release.
Gregor

I think that this is sad and a cop-out. You look at the Matrix forums and the discussions for games like Battle for the Bulge, War in the Pacific, World in Flames...

The list goes on and you see constructive conversations and customers that are very happy. Granted not every post is roses, but if your that fragile...

Panther Games inlists the help of Forum Members to create scenarios, World in Flames boards is full of topics and conversations on that up-coming title.

So I don't understand why SSG continues to hide from their customers, and in fact one could reason to ignore its customers. We are paying for a game we would enjoy to play, and even though that game is a vision of the developers once you get beyond the first or second release it does become a community.

So as far as I see it your only hurting yourself....engage your community, your fan base. Not only listen to them, but interact and discuss. Let them know what your working on, your short term plans and when possible your long term plans. This "surprise" way of business leads to dead forums, disinterested customers, and eventually lost revenue.
HercMighty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PreviousNext

Return to Battlefront Discussion