8 Characters For Filename

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

8 Characters For Filename

Postby Robert K » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:19 pm

I know I should probably get onto justplay about this problem as thats where I got my patch but they dont seem to have the same quality discussion forum :wink: .

The problem is that when I play by email I need to put 8 characters in the filename for the file to work. For instance korsun01 will work perfectly on both mine and my opponents machines but when someone sends me more than 8 e.g korsun01last then when attempting to open the file it crashes to desktop. This may be a game feature but why does it say in the manual can use a max of 48 characters.

A couple of times people have sent me their first turns with more than 8 characters and I have done the same for the turn not to work. For some turns exspecially the full campaign this can mean a lot of wasted time. Is there anyway of warning players against this or modifying the patch to not except more than 8 characters or is my pc so special :? this is the first case of this happening.
Robert K
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby JSS » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:27 pm

Robert,

The issue's been pretty widely discussed here before; doesn't affect most computers but after having it happen to two of my opening moves I just adjusted to it.

Pretty much the only solution is to go 8 or less (+no special characters).

Think it might be a good idea to make this a sticky so anyone new to the Run5 community can see this.

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Robert K » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:30 pm

Definately for some setting up email games can be hazardous enough. This kind of thing may put off some and it has effected me and I have been through most of the posts. Any one new should definately be briefed on this maybe the administrator will see this.
Robert K
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby JSS » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:32 pm

Already at the top :D
JSS
Site Admin

Postby michl » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:54 am

I never had this problem on my XP machine, but several times on Win 2000.

Michl
Image Image ImageImageImageImageImage
michl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby marc420 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:26 am

Somehow on my system, 8 char didn't work. The kind fellow at SSG's support suggested I try 2 char, and it did work. I haven't tried anything in between. But if someone reads this and 8 char still isn't working for them, try going to even shorter file names.
"In a bed, in a bed, by the waterside I will lay my head. Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul" -GD
marc420
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)