Rommel - Master of Battle Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Flashman » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:13 am

Hi guys - I decided to take a chance and play on my old computer- I have started my game with Steve. Fantassin I still need your email address. please email me at JohnConant@comcast.net Thanks

Still no luck downloading Rommel on the new computer- oh well.
Flashman-

Indecision is the key to flexibility!
ImageImageImage
Flashman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Fantassin » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:35 am

Be sure that you installed it in the \Rommels directory of the \scenarios folder.

Email sent for my address... And game started with SteveL40831 too.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:03 pm

Make sure you are downloading the KP version of Rommel and not the Bin version :) Also Fantassin is correct - the correct name for the folder of the Rommel scenario files is \scenarios\Rommels

Note that there is an S on the end of Rommel(s).

I will check the installer and see if that is causing the problem. Oh oh! My fault sorry! The installer installs the files into a folder called rommel instead of rommels - my apologies.

This is easy to fix, simply rename your \scenarios\rommel folder to rommels and it should work fine.

I will fix the installer over the weekend. Let me know if you have any other problems.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Flashman » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:47 am

Thanks Rob, glad to see im not going nuts. I am a computer moron anyway so I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong but I just assumed it had to be me :lol:

Fantassin - I will get my German move off to you tomorrow. Sorry I don't think I will be able to get to it today.
Flashman-

ImageImageImage
Flashman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Flashman » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:20 pm

Fantassin - oops - sorry i didnt reply to your email - i replied here. Anyway I sent you my first german move as an attachment Sunday night Washington DC time. Let me know if you dont get it since I had some trouble with the auto mailer on Saturday night. Good luck!
Flashman-

ImageImageImage
Flashman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Fantassin » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:39 pm

Got it 8)
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby stevel40831 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:17 am

Fantassin has suggested that we post a little info on what is happening in our 3-way tourney finals for those that may be interested.

I am the German side in my match against Flashman (we are currently on turn 6 or 7). I have not played him before so I did not have any advanced "intel" on his play-style, etc. My pre-game strategy was fairly straighforward I think. Units entering from the east were rushed to the Kalatch area over the first two turns. I got a bit too aggressive with a couple units and had to deal with cav units crossing the river in force north of Golubinskaya (in other words, I was out of position!). Early on it was a bit tense as he was putting a lot of pressure and he had units extend-moving deep behind my lines (east of Golubinskaya and Kalatch) to draw units away from the area. At the same time, he was also penetrating between the Kalatch area and the eastern cities, so this was causing difficulties as well. I counterattacked the penetrating units around Kalatch and destroyed a couple of cav units and, as my infantry units from the NE of the map are beginning to arrive in the area solid attacks are being mounted against the units north of Golubinskaya. In the east, he has captured Marinowka (sp?) and I have pulled back into a solid pocket east of the city (around the supply area). Over the past two turns he has tried wide circling maneuvers to the north of the city but I have got off some fairly successful counterattacks against this group, destroying a unit or two and badly hurting others. The blizzard turns are coming and I have put down airstrikes on the lines-of-communication between Kalatach and Marinowka hoping to cause him some supply difficulties.

On my opening for the German side, I very much wanted to prevent him from penetrating across the major river west of Lozhki Station. To do this, I used airstrikes in the south on the first two turns and prevented him from crossing on the 2nd turn. I used the 2/NSSK infantry unit, which begins the game at Kalatch, to race down the highway west of the river and was able to block the bridge just as he was arriving. This has allowed me to block the southern approaches with a minimal number of units and I can concentrate more force in the middle of the map. There was a little sparring in the central area (west of the river at Kalatch), which he got the best of, and I have pulled the lines back towards the southwest. Pulling back has allowed me to do some counterattacking, which, so far has been fairly successful.

At this point in our match, we've both had some successes in different areas. I feel my position is reasonable, especially when factoring in that he caught me out of position in the center on turn 2.

Game #2 v.s Fantassin: We're on turn 12 and this one is not going too well for me! I'm playing the Russian side and felt that I needed to try something a bit different against him. (I have played Fantassin before in the Last Stand tourney, and he roughed me up pretty good. I know that he rarely makes mistakes and always seems to pick you apart in areas where you are weak or have taken chances or gambled a bit.) My strategy against Fantassin was to try to push across the river west of Lozhki Station as quickly as possible and try to grab the defensive terrain around the city of Nizhna-Chirskaya. This worked out better than I expected as I was across the river and adjacent to the city on turn 2. He did manage to get a unit into the town and his reinforcements arrived in the nick of time. Fighting here has degenerated into WWI-type combat as neither side is able to get up enough strength to push the other player out. I have deployed a full mech division, tank division, cav division, elite infantry division and regular infantry division to this escapade (I used to think of it as a strategy, but, now it is an escapade and I'm stuck!). My lines of communication are connected from this area into the central part of the map and units are able to move N/S without difficulty. As you can guess by my initial deployements, this left me weak in the push up the middle between Kalatch and points east. I am involved in more attrition-type combat around Sowetski and the bridge a few hexes to the west. Fantassin has, of course, taken advantage of this and has pushed south over the river from Marinowka. This is more of an annoyance than a real threat to my rear areas (so far!) and has forced me to stretch out my infantry to cover, which no doubt is his strategy here.

I feel that I've spent too much time maneuvering for position and have probably already maneuvered myself into an overwhelming defeat due to a lack of risk-taking and being overly cautious. Almost without exception, every time I tried to do something a bit "sneaky" or risky he sniffed it out and punched me in the nose for my efforts! I have lost several small units in exchange for practically nothing. The fronts at this point are locked up fairly solid and it will be difficult, if not impossible, to gain much headway, especially considering who my opponent is.

I think I played my game against Fantassin about the same way that every British commander performed against Rommel in North Africa. I have played too cautiously, he has played aggressively and has won every small encounter that we've had so far. Although my losses have been fairly minor, I have nothing to show for it except the bridge in the far south!

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out."

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Flashman » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:59 am

Looking at my opponents ladder records going into this final frankly intimidated me. Fantassin is 30+ and 0 while Steve has a similar number of wins with only one loss. While I have played well in my previous games I felt I had to do something "different" to win against these two.

In both games I just now going into the blizzard turns.

Game 1 - I am Russian against Steve- He has already described the general outline. My strategy in the South Center was minimalist- just force him to commit some troops. I don't like fighting there as the terrain favors a stagnant battle. That worked pretty well as I drove north and cut the east west road just west of Marinowka and captured Sowetski relatively quickly. Unfortunately I decided to move east and also captured Marinowka and his northern city on the far eastern edge of the map. Stupid me I was thinking I was going block his reinforcement point but now they are all just poring in the other one with the alert divisions. I may have bitten off more than I can chew. In the center as Steve said, I made a run with cav to cross the river and grab the Russian Alert towns - grrr - not quite. Prolly could have used my air interdiction better. In the center we are milling around trying to inflict casualties on each other. This game is still a toss up.

The game against Fantassin ( I am German) was totally botched on turn two. Stupid me again, having watched Steve against me I tried to get a little too fancy with my lead panzer divisions comming from the east. Unlike Steve I did not recover and he quickly took one of the Russian alert turns and even worse, the Russians now have a solid bridgehead across the river and its Kattie bar the door. (He also grabbed the second Russian alert town and has been very coy about giving me any alert points). In the South I moved everyone (Three panzer divisions) to quickly eliminate his small bridgehead ) I even crossed the River and cut off his retreat. Alas after some very lame attacks he bogged me down (crying about Die rolls here :( ) and was able secure his side of the river and escape with relatively minor losses. This twarted one of my major goals to cross the river and drive into his rear from this position (Yuk this sound obscene :oops: ). In the east Fantassin drove quickly up the eastern edge of the board and caught me by surprise. I have been able to stablize the postion with the one remaining supply town but he is gradually bottleing me up. This game is definitley a gonner :shock: and I would surrender if it weren't for the three way final.
Flashman-

ImageImageImage
Flashman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby stevel40831 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:53 am

Flashman, based on our posts, it should be interesting to see Fantassins analysis... will probably read something like -- "Situation under control in both matches. Expect to be sending surrender terms shortly!". :D

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out."

stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:12 am

Situation under control in both matches. Expect to be receiving surrender shortly!. :D :wink:
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:00 am

You already know the general outlines from my opponents reports. My strategies were relatively simple and straightforward in both games.

Game 1 – Playing Germans against SteveL40831.
I made my standart german opening, nothing fancy. From the west, 11 Pz was sent between Kalatsch and Surovikino to deal with fast moving russians going south and slow down the main soviet column, 22 Pz recon was rushed to Nizhna Chirskaya to protect the area until relieved by the 23 Pz, the rest of the 22 Pz division was going to be sent towards the 11 Pz or 23 Pz help depending on russian strategy. In the center 2/NSKK has to prevent river crossings in front of Golubinskaya until relieved by the infantry div coming from the north. To help it strong air interdiction were made on the north road to delay the russian forces. From the east, 24 Pz task was to hold all bridges between Kalatsch and Kamonski then as the north infantry arrives regroup to defend river banks near Kalatsch, 16 Pz was sent to protect Sowotski. The 100 Jaeger and 29 Mot have to defend the east supply and reinforcement area, the motorized div being shifted to the west as more reinforcements coming in. The 16 Pz, 29 Mot and 100 Jgr were to adopt what I call high defense stance, advancing to contact in enemy territory, picking up targets of opportunity and then slowly withdraw.

SteveL40831 rush in the south din't totally take me by surprise even if I must admit that the number of troops he sent was very impressive. Fortunately, the 22 Pz recon was able to entrench in Nizhna Chirskaya before he could overrun the city fort. Since the he wasn' able to pierce the defensive line I established from southeast of the city to Lissinski (16 Mot, 23 Pz, 22 Pz and 2 cav rgts). Further north, as SteveL40831 never succeeded in crossing the Don river, 11 Pz has to face all his unemployed troops (amongst which 1st and 4th Tank Corps) and was forced to abandon Surovikino. With the 385 & 386 Inf and various elements, they now hold a good defensive line running behind the river from Lissinski through Nizhna Kalinovski to a few hexes north of the bridge west of that town. Of course 6th Army is now totally cut from 4th Panzer Army.

East of the Don, SteveL40831 never had a chance to cross the river and doing it now will be very difficult. From the 4 infantry div coming from the north, one is positionned around Peskovatka and the three others hold the Don banks from north of Golubinskaya to nortwest of Kalatsch. The 24 Pz is holding the two Kalatsch bridges while the 16 Pz is chasing russians out of the woods south the city. Sowotski is firmly in the hands of the 29 Mot backed up by the 3 Mot. Eastwards the 3 remaining infantry div (100 Jaeger, 79 and 389) protect the road to the east supply sources, and are positionned in a flat V with the point in the big forest south of Marinowka.

Overall, defensive positions are good, offensive capacity is intact, moral is very good and supply will be available almost until the end for the trapped 6th Army.

Game 2 – Playing Russians against Flashman.
In this game too I made my standart opening. My goal here was to focus on taking the russian alert town to release the 1st Guards Mech Corps as soon as possible and well before the snowstorm. To this effect all north forces were rushed along the road to Kamonski except for the 5 Cav which must liberate Osinovska and Plessistyi before attacking Peskovatka, and the 4 Tank which have to retake Malaya Donshchinka and is delayed accordingly. Heavy interdictions were made both around Kalatsch and Peskovatka to delay german reinforcements. From the south, the 4 Mech, 81 Cav, 36 Gds Inf and all east reinforcing infantry div were rushed to stop german supply and reinforcement coming from Karpovka area. The 5 Tank and 13 Mech were sent to Sowotski to act accordingly to the situation they will find there. Finally, the 61 Cav was sent to establish a bridgehead over the Don east of Nizhna Chirskaya. Its mission was to tie the 23 Pz in the area until relieved by 33 or 34 Gds Inf. Under no circunstances, german alert units are to be released, at least not before russian own alerted units were in battle. So to avoid that, all german alert-tied objectives must be bypassed excepted if both east supply towns and entry hexes can be captured in one turn interval.

As you may know, my rush in the north take Flashman with his pants down. Apparently he was waiting for me in the south having sent there the 2/NSKK, the 22 Pz recon and the 11 Pz. So in the north, all cavalry rgts from the 6 Gds Cav and 32 Cav were able to cross the Don unopposed. The 6 Gds Cav captured Golubinskaya on turn 3 overruning a supply truck in the process and the 32 Cav was able to dig in just between Kamonski and the destroyed bridge with orders to hold at all cost until the bridge can be repaired. This was done on turn 5 and Kamonski fell after being assaulted by the massed 4 tank and and 26 Tank waiting over the river. Further south the 5 tank and 13 Mech bypassed Sowotski and are now threatening Kalatsch Station and especially the bridge near it. The pz recon defending it has already repulsed one attack (half a chance of retreat) but if I can force it to retreat the 1 Tank and 1 Gds Mech are just waiting for the opportunity to visit the city.

In the east, my sudden attack on turn 2 took Flashman by surprise, but his forces here were able to react and delay my attacking forces. He must have realized the threat and completely abandoned Marinowka and Karpovka to concentrate on the north supply road defense. With the turn 3 snowstorm and infantry missing I wasn't able to break through the 29 Mot Inf, engineers and AA units defense. Our forces are pretty matched in this area and I can't take the risk to release an alert Pz div so Marinowka and Karpovka are still under his control.

In the south, the 61 Cav established the expected bidgeghead over the Don but I forgot to leave some troops on the east side of the river. Flashman, seeing the opportunity slipped a PzGr rgt across the river to block up the bridge and my retreat route. Fortunately my trapped troops were entrenched in forest and woods. He attacked me with 3 Pz div (11, 22 and 23) but all his assaults were bloodily repulsed and not a single 32 cav units gave one inch of terrain. After 3 days of attacks, all units were out of ammo except for the tank rgt, when the 33 and 34 Gds Inf relief force was able to reopen access to the bridge. Evacuation of the survivors is underway. For their heroic defense in face of overwhelming odds the 61 Cav is now the next candidate to Guards status upgrade.

Overall, the situation while contested in the east seems hopeless for the german in Kalatsch. Two PzGr rgts have already fallen and the remaining one and half Pz div and 3 Inf div are no match against the four Tank, two Mech and 3 Gds Inf divisions pouring across the Don.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Flashman » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:57 pm

Gestapo officers arrested Field Marshall Flashman in the early morning hours of March 9. Officers report that he had been totally incapacitated by three fat Russian hordes who had knoted his pants around his ankles. Liberal use of alcohol was in evidence throuhout the headquaters compound.

The Furher has expressed extreme disgust at the downfall of this once proud officer of the Reich. :cry:

Major General Huesyordadee has been appointed to command until a suitible replacement can arrive from the Hitler Youth Acadamy.
Flashman-

ImageImageImage
Flashman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby stevel40831 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:03 am

Thankfully it is finally over....

It was the the worst beating of my career. :oops: I feel that Fantassin played this game with one eye closed and was yawning every time he received on of my turns!

Officially, it was an overwhelming victory -- 1,1?? pts. :shock: I would ask that SSG create a new level of victory as the "overwhelming" in this game topped out at 850 I think. There should be a new catagory called "Laughable" if you beat someone by 25% higher than the overwhelming high figure!

The reason Fantassin is undefeated is because he gives you nothing... absolutely nothing. :( There was not a single time in our game where I had an opportunity to do anything interesting.... no gaps in the line... no interesting VP cities captured... no, and I mean NO turns where I had more than one or two overrun opportunities. He played a near perfect game.

HOWEVER! ... he did screw up very badly near the end :D (on turn 20) as I finally managed to storm across the Don in the far north (with an engineer unit)... He destroyed it right away of course :( , but, that is NOT the point here! This was a major political victory for Mother Russia :D because, what Mr. Fantassin did NOT know, was that the river crossing was a symbolic gift for Mr. Stalins birthday! :D What a tremendous coup on my part! :D The "game" may say that the Russians lost today in an "overwhelming/laughable" defeat, lost 16 units and destroyed none (oh, did I forget to mention that?), but, because of the brilliant river crossing on my part :D , future generations of Russian children will be able to live under an iron fist :D , suffer through their miserable daily lives :D and fight for scraps of food on a daily basis :D ... I am happy that I was able to do my part to make Russia what it was meant to be!

Ahhh, the doctors are here now... I must be going back to the hospital. :cry:

Fantassin, great play on your part. I don't know who's going to give you your first loss, but it won't be me! I'm 0-3 against you and it gets worse every time! It was a fun game, I am sorry that you lost in the little known "political" catagory! :wink:

stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:08 am

Congrats Fantassin!

Don't feel bad Steve there is no doubt that he plays on a different level than the rest of us.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby stevel40831 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:12 am

Cpt. Feathersword wrote:Congrats Fantassin!

Don't feel bad Steve there is no doubt that he plays on a different level than the rest of us.

Oh, I don't feel bad... I just can't get out of this damned straight jacket that he put me in! :)

stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)