Rommel - Master of Battle Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Twinkle » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:39 pm

Manny wrote:Did someone say something about a campaign medal ??

I'm in dude !!

*get's his medal cabinet polished and readies a new display case*

I have some space for another one... :)

Rob: and in addition to taking the bridge (bridges?) I guess that both sides have to carefully protect their possibly long and fragile supply routes... :)

This will be a fun tourney!
/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joel137 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:23 pm

robjess wrote:Uggs - dont mention that - thats a sore point down under..

Why are they a sore point down under?

I love my pair, I can slip them on easily walk outside in -30 C weather to take the trash out in 15cm of snow and my feet aren't bothered at all!

I bought them about 12 years ago and they are in relatively good shape still, but I can tell that I'm in need of locating another source for a new pair soon.
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joel137 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:25 pm

Twinkle wrote: . . .
/twinkle

You do? :twisted:
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pterrok » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:26 pm

A small request from us 56K users...could you release the game in the middle of the week so I can use the T1 at work to get it? Don't MAKE me drive in to work on a Saturday or Sunday so I can start the tournament! ;)

(I'm assuming, of course, that with such a huge map it's gonna be a hefty download...)
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:51 pm

An american company has trade marked the name Ugg - which means that the original maker of Ugg boots cant refer to them as Ugg boots in the USA. Thats pretty sad.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Twinkle » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:53 pm

Joel137 wrote:
Twinkle wrote: . . .
/twinkle

You do? :twisted:

of course I DO... :twisted: (actually not but I love to collect those medals...)

btw, I have just started my latest turn in our pbem, doing a bit of retreating and attacking. Looks like the pocket will form up really quick. :(
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joel137 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:22 am

robjess wrote:An american company has trade marked the name Ugg - which means that the original maker of Ugg boots cant refer to them as Ugg boots in the USA. Thats pretty sad.

Rob, I'll take this to the chat section.
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:15 am

Twinkle wrote:

Rob: and in addition to taking the bridge (bridges?) I guess that both sides have to carefully protect their possibly long and fragile supply routes... :)

/twinkle

/twinkle,

Your observations are right on!

There are four bridges across the Don near Kalatsch (there are 6 total Don bridges in the game). Final tweaks will probably have some of the four Kalatsch bridges blown to start the sceario.

The supply lines are very few and very long. Keeping them working is absolutely a key to surviving!

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Quick Notes

Postby JSS » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:35 am

Here's a short run down of forces involved:

Russians
5 x Tank Corps
2 x Mech Corps (+2 more in alert status)
5 x Cav Divs
18 x Inf Divs

Germans
7 x Panzer Divs (+3 more in alert status)
4 x Mot Inf Divs
1 x Cav Div
9 x Inf Divs

Russian side has two inherent advantages:
- number of units
- they will be attacking early in the game

German side has two inherent advantage:
- quality/mobility of units
- they will own all the VP locations on turn 1... if the German can prevent losing the VP locations they will win big time (this is of course much easier said than done... see Russian advantages)

JSS

PS: Think you'll like this one A LOT. Very wide open; each game should play out differently (there is no direct combat for player one on the opening turn so there is no way get a "perfect" opening move).
JSS
Site Admin

Victory conditions

Postby Carl Myers » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:18 am

Will the victory point objectives be reflective of the mission or as in KP be reflective of the concept of operation that occurred?
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Victory conditions

Postby JSS » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:32 am

Carl Myers wrote:Will the victory point objectives be reflective of the mission or as in KP be reflective of the concept of operation that occurred?

Carl,

VPs are set up so you have many options as either player. Russian player pretty much has to take Kalatsch; this alone won't produce victory.

Maneuver, destruction of enemy units, and keeping supply lines open are as important as taking/holding VPs. If you garrison a VP too long and lose a division or two in the process it will not usually be worth it (in fact it will usually prove catastrophic as the German player).

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Twinkle » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:38 am

I noted that this will be played with without using the unknown unit strength option. May I suggest that you use that one to add a little bit to the heartbeats of both players... It doesn't really need to be a unknown unit strength in that sense, as you could make the unknown part really small, but it would add a great lot if both sides have to commit the units to action in order to know their true value... it also removes some of the really funny "move and test the odds play", that I have noted that some players are using.

You might even publish the exact strength for each sides unit if you want to, as all I really want to is to get rid of the last thing mentioned above!

Regards
/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Twinkle » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:39 am

JSS wrote:
Twinkle wrote:

/twinkle

/twinkle,

Your observations are right on!

There are four bridges across the Don near Kalatsch (there are 6 total Don bridges in the game). Final tweaks will probably have some of the four Kalatsch bridges blown to start the sceario.

The supply lines are very few and very long. Keeping them working is absolutely a key to surviving!

JSS

nice... :) I think that I'm going to like this one as much as the Kreta scenario.

/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:05 pm

FYI - Both Roger and Ian from SSG have expressed an interest in playing in this Tournament too :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Jasonbirder » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:57 pm

How spooky - literally before logging on and seeing this thread about the new scenario i`ve just been reading about the Battles on the Chir River and the attempts to break through to Stalingrad in FW Von Mellenthin`s Panzer Battles !!!
Coincidence? I think not - perhaps its a sign.....
Jasonbirder
Private
Private

PreviousNext

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)