Whiking Whiteout Tournament March 2004

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Manny » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:56 pm

I sure did ! Sounds like you have something weird going on with your email as I'm getting a lot of bounced mail and now it seems it's actually eating mail!

Check your mail server is ok (do you have access to the logs ?)

Maybe it's been hacked or you have a worm kicking the s**t out of it ?!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

My BiN Profile
"Modesty is not a virtue; it is useful only as a curb for youthful indescretion" - The Ethics of Aristotle

Games in progress

Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:30 am

Im using MailWasher Pro which is spam detection and elimination software.. I may have accidently added your email address to my blacklist database :)

Also.. what email address are you using that is causing the bounce back? The webmaster one?
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Manny » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:10 am

The error I get when the mail is bounced is "user not known" or somesuch. Guess that could be MailWasher's way of trying to fool a spam-master eh ?

I'm getting this error on you at the large frog mating region and sometimes I've appended the country code relating to the place we Brits sent all our convicts too when we didn't know what to do with them :D

My BiN Profile
"Modesty is not a virtue; it is useful only as a curb for youthful indescretion" - The Ethics of Aristotle

Games in progress

Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:20 am

Hehehe the large frog mating region.. that account should be ok! The large frog mating region does not need to be associated with that large land mass down south known as the Great Southern Land.

I wonder how many posts we will get asking what the heck we are talking about..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Fairfax » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:33 am

Great Southern land - that island off the coast of New Zealand the Kiwi's own ? :D
ImageImageImageImage
Fairfax
Captain
Captain

Postby Robjess » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:51 am

No I meant Fiji :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Manny » Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:23 pm

Fairfax wrote:Great Southern land - that island off the coast of New Zealand the Kiwi's own ? :D

:twisted:

My BiN Profile

Games in progress

Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:03 pm

Right we now have 24 players..

pterrok
TnTom
thewolf
Pawlock
hank
DigitalKnight
StormCrow
Matthew Urch
Flashman
Janet Reno
Aberdeen
robjess
Tempest
Thor Eikermann
Winterfox
Fairfax
Islander
Twinkle
Graf Starhemberg
Szarik
Fantassin
Jasonbirder
Manny
MVDH

If someone wants to sit down and work out the maths around some brackets etc for 24 players maybe we can get started :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Islander » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:04 pm

Oh boy. First post and I'm giving advice. Newbies should be more like plebes, seen and not heard..... Following the comments about there being many new players in this tournament. The top 8 players on the ladder get byes to the second round. The bottom 16 play the first round, then the second round is a normal 16 player bracket.
Islander
Captain
Captain

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:05 pm

I'm not in it but I'd suggest 8 groups of 3. Each player plays the other two in his brakcet. Best win-loss score moves on. Win-loss ties decided on total points. You end up with 8 winners and use the normal format after that.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:30 pm

Hey Islander.. welcome :) We always value newbies posting and expressing their points of view - otherwise you never cease being a newbie.. :)

Valid suggestion.. but the problem is that someone like Tempest (who is a champ!) doesnt play on the ladder, so for all accounts he is a newbie.. let me tell you he isnt! So whilst its a good idea.. sometimes its hard to determine who the newbies are..

Lee.. sounds like its a plan.. what do others thing?
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Islander » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:44 pm

To Register, send an email to the Run5 Webmaster (webmaster@war.robjess.com) and provide the following information:
Put "Whiking Whiteout Tournament" in the subject field of the email.
Your Real Name
Your Run5 Forum Name
Your Run5 Combat Leagues Ladder Name
Your Email address that you want the tournament PBEM files sent to.

'scuse me, but I took it to be a requirement that one must be on the ladder to enter the tournament?
Dropping the argumentative strain, I kind of like the previous suggestion of a round robin. For a short scenario, RR format would work, but longer ones would take forever to finish. Two games and the boot is better than one.
Last edited by Islander on Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Islander
Captain
Captain

Postby Robjess » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:01 pm

Valid point. But you can also be registered on the ladder and not be an active player :)

Tempest is registered on the ladder as "Tempest". Though you will note that he hasnt reported any games.. so at face value it would appear that Tempest may not be a very good KP player.. thats far from the truth.. in TAO he will rip your heart out and stomp on it and then present it back to you tied in a bow :)

So yes, you are meant to be registered on the ladder - but that doesnt mean that your account has to be active.

The reason we say that you have to be registered on the ladder is so that all Tournament games are able to be reported to the ladder - this is at the discretion of the winner. I guess no one has beat Tempest yet :)

And if I won against someone who was not an active ladder player - I would be well within my rights to report the game, but I probably wouldnt.. thats not to say that if you or anyone else wins against a non active player that you cant report the game.. you can.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Islander » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:42 pm

Agreed. (on record as supporting round robin) Not to beat a dead horse, but for discussion. A round robin is a great idea, but how many scenarios would it work for? What would work for Whiking Whiteout wouldn't work so well for LSAK, because of time needed for the turns. When between 16 and 32 players register, either someone sits out, or someone gets a bye. Ladder leaders, and tourney quarter-finalists? and up get a bye. Or do it the other way. Least deserving. (ahem) First time tourney entrants, new recruits, etc, get to play first. Sure, once in a while a Tempest will get thru, but that doesn't make the whole idea wrong. I could certainly come up with a list of players whom I don't want to meet in the first round :shock: , um, I mean should advance without opposition.

As far as the heart goes, it was ripped out a long time ago by an Indonesian girl in Singapore. Or was it a ewe on a sheepship in Fremantle?
Islander
Captain
Captain

Postby Robjess » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:59 pm

Islander wrote:As far as the heart goes, it was ripped out a long time ago by an Indonesian girl in Singapore. Or was it a ewe on a sheepship in Fremantle?

Eek!! Thats probably too much info :)

Yep agree that there are many ways to run the Tournaments.. and some of them will adapt better to others.. I dont have the mental capacity to wrap me head around which one is best suited to this one at the moment.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)