Whiking Whiteout Tournament March 2004

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Force Pool changes

Postby StormCrow » Fri May 14, 2004 11:25 am

There seems to be a consensus that the Germans will dictate the flow of the game, having the better units and a superior defensive position which gives them a bit more latitude. While the Soviet position is far from hopeless, against even opponents they do start out just reacting to German probes.

So my suggestion would be to beef the Soviets up. Say, the 5th Mech instead of the 18th Tank, and the 20th Guards Tank in place of the 3rd Tank.

If the changes are accepted we could use the semi-finals and the final to do the playtesting. The opponent skill levels would be very close and if it does shift things in favor of the Soviet it would not be much more, if any, than the advantage the Germans have today.

Comments?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
StormCrow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robjess » Fri May 14, 2004 6:22 pm

Clearly it would not be very sportsman like if anyone used and exploited that tactic.. it is 'gamey' and I would not be caught dead doing it and Im sure it would be looked down upon most unfavourably.

Btw, Tempest has resigned from my game with him. Whilst I would love to be able to say he did this because I had him on the ropes and was squeezing the life out of his troops - he actually did it on turn 2 due to other committments. Eitherway Im taking the the win :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Twinkle » Fri May 14, 2004 6:56 pm

:shock:
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Game Result

Postby Manny » Sun May 16, 2004 4:06 am

Our match is now complete : Allies (Manny) beat Axis (Pawlock) by 77pts.
Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Sun May 16, 2004 8:44 pm

Congrats Manny, once Twinkle assigns us teams we can start the first 2nd round match.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Sun May 16, 2004 11:09 pm

Flashman vs. Jasonbirder ... :?

any news :?:

/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby pterrok » Mon May 17, 2004 12:07 pm

The FIRST game between TnTom and I is finished: a 30-30 absolute draw with no kills or captures!

I started a replay game with me as Germans instead of Russians this time--that IS the right procedure, correct?

Since it's a complete tie, NEITHER one of us can claim the game on the ladder! Unless there's a way around this that I don't know about, Rob?
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Mon May 17, 2004 12:24 pm

pterrok wrote:The FIRST game between TnTom and I is finished: a 30-30 absolute draw with no kills or captures!

I started a replay game with me as Germans instead of Russians this time--that IS the right procedure, correct?

Since it's a complete tie, NEITHER one of us can claim the game on the ladder! Unless there's a way around this that I don't know about, Rob?

It's a little bit up to Rob to decide, but I think that your suggestion is the right decision. So start a replay with changed sides ... :)

the ladder reporting seems problematic as the current ladder doesn't allow for draws.

/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Flashman » Wed May 19, 2004 1:17 am

Twinkle- I sent my turn 10 off about a week ago- I have been waiting to hear back from the Russians. As of my last turn I was up by about 300 points so this game is essentially over. When can I make it official?
Flashman-

Indecision is the key to flexibility!
ImageImageImage
Flashman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Twinkle » Wed May 19, 2004 1:33 am

soon, but I always prefer to get a mail from the loosing part, just as I myself always sends a mail as soon as I have been defeated in a tourney, which seems to happen all the time.

Regards
/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Wed May 19, 2004 1:47 am

I wonder if Jasonbirder is on vacation or something, I sent him off a turn in the Rommel tourney on May 8th and have heard nothing from him since he sent me the previous turn on May 6th.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joel137 » Wed May 19, 2004 2:03 am

Twinkle wrote:soon, but I always prefer to get a mail from the loosing part, just as I myself always sends a mail as soon as I have been defeated in a tourney, which seems to happen all the time.

Regards
/twinkle

But no more than once per tournament (the round-robin ones excepted, of course) :wink:
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Wed May 19, 2004 10:26 am

Joel137 wrote:
Twinkle wrote:soon, but I always prefer to get a mail from the loosing part, just as I myself always sends a mail as soon as I have been defeated in a tourney, which seems to happen all the time.

Regards
/twinkle

But no more than once per tournament (the round-robin ones excepted, of course) :wink:

Actually, I'm still in the LS tourney and haven’t given up in the RMoB tourney (oh, well I guess I have, just don’t want to admit it for myself).

Comment about round-robin games in tourneys. That is something I like to see a lot more of, as it gives all players at least two games, as well as letting them play both sides in the scenario. And matching round-robin winners against runner up's in the first round of direct elimination is a pretty fair system.

/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joel137 » Wed May 19, 2004 3:10 pm

I agree that it is probably a fairer and more interesting way to do things. I suppose the only down side is the lengthening of the tournament.

OTOH, its fun that there are different styles of tournament being offered!
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Thu May 20, 2004 9:14 am

I have noticed that Jasonbirder seems to be absent! JASONBIRDER!, please report in and finish that last turn in your tourney battle!!! :)

Any other who has trouble contacting their opponent?

I also like to clarify that a two week absence without telling your opponent (it's also good to tell the tourney organization) before going into the world of not contacting anyone is equal to forfeiting ones battle. The show must go on. And this is, if I recall correctly, the official run5 tourney rule in this regard.

Best regards
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)