Whiking Whiteout Tournament March 2004

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Flashman » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:09 pm

I will send Jason my Turn 8 tonight- he just suffered a significant loss of two mech regiments (sorry to forshadow this to you Jason :twisted: ) so ....
Flashman-

Indecision is the key to flexibility!
ImageImageImage
Flashman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Twinkle » Sat May 01, 2004 4:23 pm

Fantassin and TnTOM in group #1 advance to first elimination round, the tourney ladder is updated...

regards
/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Twinkle » Tue May 04, 2004 1:38 pm

And I seems to be the first one to lose a round 1 game; Thor Eikermann got a marginal german victory as well as giving me an humbling lesson in encircling and killing. Thanks a lot and good fortune!

regards
/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Tue May 04, 2004 2:51 pm

Gee's.. I better start my game against Tempest then.. I have been putting it off as I know what the result will be..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

WW tourney update

Postby Twinkle » Fri May 07, 2004 11:25 am

Pterrok and Islander continue from group 4 for another round of battles.

The new battles to start up are (and I trust you to be able to contact each other):

Pterrok (allied) vs. TnTom (axis)

Fantassin (axis) vs. Islander (allied)

Fantassin has let known to the tourney organisation that he is away/unable to do any turns until the 22nd of this month.

The only remaining group play battle to be completed is the one between Jasonbirder and Flashman (they are on turn 9 as far as I know), and the winner between them will play against StormCrow.

good luck to all of you remaining in this tourney.
/twinkle ;)

P.S. the tourney ladder will be updatet after I get home from RL work... :)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Twinkle » Wed May 12, 2004 12:26 am

Cpt. Feathersword (axis) has continued to round two and will play the winner in the ongoing battle between Manny (allied) and Pawlock (axis). Rumors have it that it was an extremely close fought battle; just a few points separated Cpt. Feathersword from his opponent.

Regards
/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Wed May 12, 2004 1:55 am

True enough Twinkle, it was a 32-30 victory and a strange one at that, we just ended up dancing around each other rarely even launching an attack, my margin of victory came from eliminating a single Russian garrison unit.

My synopsis of the battle is this (I would be interested in MVDH's take);

MVDH went into a total defensive mode not even approaching my objective cities (except for a brief one turn feint with the 3rd Tank when they arrived). I split my forces between offense in the North and defense in the South, when I got to the Northern Russian objective I was outnumbered 3 (5th, 18th Tank and the 136th Inf div.) divisions to 2 (both SS Panzer divisions to be joined by the 10th Panzer Gren when they arrived), meanwhile my defense in the South (the 2nd and and 6th Inf.) was probing and waiting for an offensive that never came (I was worried most of the game about where his 3rd Gd. Div was, I believe he kept it defending the Southern city). I was conservative about pressing my Northern offensive for fear of exposing my outnumbered units to being surrounded and counterattacked and anyway I never had a real shot at evicting him from the city due to his solid defense. There was a lot of manuevering and feints that resulted in the Russian garrison elimination. By turn 6 or 7 it became apparent to me that it was too late for him to take either objective, besides the fact he was making no attempt, so I went over to total defense figuring it was up to him to make up the 2 point lead I now had, on turns 8 and 9 I went back across the river and it was effectively over. On turn 7 or so I think he realized what I was doing and started advancing on me but it was too late.

Overall, I think his plan was to let me attack and then to eliminate whatever units he could in order to score points. When I realized that I changed my plan to one of "keep away".
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Fri May 14, 2004 12:44 am

Just curious as to how the rest of the round 1 games are going. Given the comparatively small nature of the scenario I am surprised most of the games are not finished.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Fri May 14, 2004 12:50 am

Haven’t heard anything for a while. I know that the remaining group play game has just one more turn to do and that it is pretty much finished. But no more reports then it comes to round 1 battle.

Regards
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby pterrok » Fri May 14, 2004 1:15 am

TnTom is probably working on his Axis turn 7 right now.

So far, absolutely NO kills or captures! I've been trying my hardest as Russians to DEFEND! After barely avoiding a possible gamekiller exploit I've presented him with little opportunity to get me--and of course, the reverse is true.

If it ends in an absolute draw, we switch sides and try again, right? I guarantee there'll be kills if I'm Axis! :D

(And no, I'm not going to explain what I meant by 'possible gamekiller exploit' yet--I have to see if it's something the Russian can reasonbly be expected to defend against in the normal course of play once he knows it's there. However, if anyone else has a clue what I'm talking about, feel free to say if you think it's an exploit or not. :shock: )
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Fri May 14, 2004 1:27 am

Hmm Pterrok...you've got me intrigued, I have no idea what it is.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pterrok » Fri May 14, 2004 2:04 am

Hint: It came up in The Last Stand at Korsun tournament, too! I guess if you want to, you can try to do it in ANY of the scenarios--it just happens to be particularly devastating in WW due to size and parameters of the scenario.

Maybe we'll need a v2.0 to address this and ALSO fix the AT units? :D
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pterrok » Fri May 14, 2004 4:08 am

About my hint above...it came UP in the Last Stand tournament but it was POSTED about somewhere else--bug reports or suggestions or general, maybe even the Matrix site???

I can't find it now myself, but I KNOW I read it! :roll:

Also, I did not mean to imply that TnTom was deliberately exploiting it--it CAN happen without your meaning to do it!
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Fri May 14, 2004 5:30 am

Pterrok, stop teasing me like my 12th grade Prom date, out with it :evil: .

I got a feeling this is going to be a "Huh?!? That's what he's talking about? Who cares" moment but I have to know.

Aha!!! Thru the help of a little birdie I figured out what Pterrok is talking about and I take back my above comment.

That's interesting because I almost did the same thing to MVDH in our game although I had no idea about it, I was just trying to distract/scare him by moving near the reinforcement hex (And what the heck could a lone recon unit do to the 3rd armor?). It seems like an exploit to me if done intentionally and it really needs to be patched, although the frequency of it occurring must be very low.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pterrok » Fri May 14, 2004 9:21 am

Well, since Cpt. Feathersword figured it out or got a tip, and he hinted at it...what it is, is that if the Axis moves over and takes the southern reinforcement hexes on the west map edge, fine, no problem--the Russians come on in the hexes to the north.

It's when the Axis dances around and doesn't actually TAKE them that a problem arises--the Russians units come in on those hexes but they are out of supply and RED! It happened to me and I got north to a supplied hex by the skin of by teeth!

I spotted the Axis moving that way--but it didn't seem like he was just going to take the hexes like had been done to me before--so I smacked my head and said Doh! and moved just barely enough stuff to prevent him from feeling comfortable about closing the west board edge completely. (Although it still might have been a good thing to do, what with the easy kills you'd get vs the hard ones later on!)

So I'm not sure if it's just my setting-up defenses behind the rivers that's at fault or if it's really just asking too much of the Russian force on the board to protect not just one objective or two objectives, but in essence THREE objectives with only three divisions--two of which are Regulars up against Elites.

If anyone else thinks this may be a bit of a problem, two thoughts came to mind:

1) Simply make those reinforcements come in on the northern west edge instead of the southern--but then the Russian may lose some of his counterattacking capabilities if he wants to try for a German objective,

2) Have the units come in a turn EARLIER! They should then be able to get away from any German hanky-panky AND it would tend to even out the initial German advantage of grabbing the center of the board by reinforcing the Russian first. (And would also tend to crimp the attack I use as the German!)

While in theory the German reinforcement hexes are subject to the same thing, usually that NE Russian objective is being attacked so they can't play games with the NE German reinforcement hexes.

(And I wasn't trying to tease you, Cpt. Feathersword, but you ARE in the next round and now I had to make sure your opponent knows about it too! ;))
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)