Whiking Whiteout Tournament March 2004

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Graf Starhemberg » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:05 pm

I like every kind of competition, but with with five games going at the moment including two tournaments, I´m afraid I have to let this one pass by without me.
I play my moves rather quickly, so I prefer CA on, although I know it´s a devilish tool that is only there to deviate me from my plans... :wink:
Besides I think having it off tends to handicap the average player while giving the expert an advantage, so I´m not surprised about fewer registrations.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Graf Starhemberg
Major
Major

Postby Flashman » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:00 pm

I like this scenario, but since it is one of the more evenly balanced scenarios I'm curious why you chose it for a mirror tournament. Having the CA off is a nice change of pace and shouldn't be too much of a burden for a small scenario. Since I skipped the last tournament I can do this one. I think RL burdens are keeping the registrations down for this second tournament. I didn't notice this announcement until I came into work Monday morning.
Flashman-

Indecision is the key to flexibility!
ImageImageImage
Flashman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robjess » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:38 am

Yeah you are right, WW is probably the one Tournament that we DONT need to play as a mirror game. Was just planning.. we can drop the mirror aspect of it.. but we will go down that path once we get closer to finalising the draw..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:52 pm

Ok so far these are the Registrants:

pterrok
TnTom
thewolf
Pawlock
hank
DigitalKnight
StormCrow
Matthew Urch
Flashman
Janet Reno
Aberdeen
robjess

If your name isnt there and you registered then send me another email.

I think we should drop the 'mirror' component of this Tournament as its probably the most balanced scenario out there (as previously reported)..

I am also willing to change the Combat Advisor setting to On if that will entice others to registers.. at the moment we have what? 12 players? I can start the Tourn with that many.. but if there are more who wanna play.. then.. please sign up..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Pawlock » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:07 pm

It does surprise me the amount of "hardcore" players missing from that list. My question is, what did people do before KP with other wargames where thier is'nt CA available? its the first game Im aware of with this facility.
Given the normal choice, I would go CA, but its a small scenario and Im just curious of how it plays without it. Will be fun, plus I will use it as another excuse for losing :lol:
Pawlock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Fairfax » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:21 pm

I must admit I'm a lazy player and have never been very facinated with numbers. I tend to play by instinct and "percieved" knowledge of what a unit should be ably to do and what terrain should do. I rarely add things up, check the crt's etc. Its enough to know I have strong or good unit etc and its in favourable terrain. Thats probably one of the reasons why I lose so much, but its how I enjoy to play - I fully realise this will never make me a great player but KP interface gives you the ability to play this style. As I said before, no objections to other styles and opinions, just my own strange preference !!! So to me no combat advisor will mean I cant play so easily the way I like !
ImageImageImageImage
Fairfax
Captain
Captain

Postby Robjess » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:29 pm

Well Pawlock, I am surprised at the lack of 'experianced' players who registered for this one also.. it may be that they have other commitments, but I always considered that a Tournament with the CA off would draw the more experianced players.. looking at this list.. it looks like most of them are newbies.. interesting.. are the experianced players scared? :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Manny » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:31 pm

robjess wrote:Well Pawlock, I am surprised at the lack of 'experianced' players who registered for this one also.. it may be that they have other commitments, but I always considered that a Tournament with the CA off would draw the more experianced players.. looking at this list.. it looks like most of them are newbies.. interesting.. are the experianced players scared? :)

I would have played but I'm playing two games already and with my extremely limited time that's almost one game too-many as it is !

Don't worry though : I'm losing swiftly as the Russians to warspite in the KP tourney so should be available for this one soon :-)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

My BiN Profile
"Modesty is not a virtue; it is useful only as a curb for youthful indescretion" - The Ethics of Aristotle

Games in progress

Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby thewolf » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:41 pm

Hey I like to play with it off :)

I tend to forget to turn it on. Geezs it's useful when you remember, as I have been trying in the latest russian game.

As for dropping the mirror, I am more than happy with that as well... I seem to be agreeeable tonight :)
ImageImage
TheWolf,

Winner of his FIRST Tornament match!

Current Matches
1: Burma as allies Vs Trojan
thewolf
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Flashman » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:28 pm

Definitely a newbie here - I am only on my third pbem game. Glad you dropped the mirror game. CA on or off is ok by me. Having it off definitely changes the way you play- I for one would find it impossible to calculate odds as well as the puter even if I was willing to put in the effort.
(there is no way to tell if an enemy unit has its integrity bonus intact is there ? So how would you know what the defensive strength of a stack is unless you had a unit next to it and could fake an attack? :? ) So with it off I tend to play by educated guess. The lack of veterans is in this tournament is great (gives me a chance). :P - Flashman looks at the list again -sees a few heavy hitters and promptly cowers back in his bunker.
Flashman-

ImageImageImage
Flashman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Pawlock » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:50 pm

thewolf wrote:Hey I like to play with it off :)

I tend to forget to turn it on. Geezs it's useful when you remember, as I have been trying in the latest russian game.

As for dropping the mirror, I am more than happy with that as well... I seem to be agreeeable tonight :)

If your used to playing with CA off, then that makes you one hella a formidable opponent and I pray I dont draw you in this one :wink:
Pawlock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby pterrok » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:05 am

This scenario is really like a mini-AtD. The Russians are set-up to defend, have some river lines and can drop some detachments to negate shifts. The Germans have one flank where they have Elite units vs Regulars and HAVE to take advantage of that AND break river lines just like in AtD.

Surprisingly, both my second and third games of this took a fairly long time for each turn simply because you HAVE so few units, have so MANY options to attack but NEED to preserve your defense afterwards. (i.e. your supply lines!)

This was with CA on, and what it DID show was that you could get overruns on units far, far away. With CA off, players who have NOT played before will not even see these as possibilities at all whereas I know to look for them. But with CA off, it would have taken even longer to do my turns since I would have had to sit there and calculate all the factors...so I'm glad CA is back on.

Flashman, a fake attack IS the way to go! Because when I calculate the defense in my head, there are always some rounding errors that go differently then I think and they can make a big difference! For example, the Wiking are 100%, but I don't think they get doubled--they're doubled minus 1 for some reason.

IF there are no hidden units around that you expose, you can actually move forward, launch the attack to get the data and then undo which moves you back! But DO watch out for exposing units and getting stuck where you can't undo!

You can also, of course, count the hexes between known division elements if you rec units have done their job. But the rec units are the ones which are easily overrun and killed--losing one can cost you the draw. The OOB comes in handy, too, to make sure you know you ARE seeing all the enemy units or to remember how many units are in a division.

If we stayed at 12 players this would almost be the one to divide into three pools of 4 and we played THREE games in the first round--one against each other player in our pool--with the three best win/loss players advancing (tie-breaker would be their head-to-head game) and the fourth advancer would be the best total points amongst the rest. Second round would be one game sudden-death and the finals could be mirror point total.

Since we would NOT be playing the mirror games simultaneously it's only one game at a time of one of the quickest games and fastest time per turn game. Not a big load and still not too long to complete.

But all we need is four more players to get to 16 and a nice easy bracket--come y'all, sign-up!
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Flashman » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:00 pm

Rob- You may want to amend your announcement for the Wiking Whiteout tourney to reflect that it is no longer an mirror tourney and the CA will be on.
Flashman-

ImageImageImage
Flashman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby thewolf » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:09 pm

Pawlock wrote:
thewolf wrote:Hey I like to play with it off :)

If your used to playing with CA off, then that makes you one hella a formidable opponent and I pray I dont draw you in this one :wink:

*looks at loosing record...*

Hey don't worry to much, I MAY win my first match up in the other tornament, maybe...
ImageImage
TheWolf,

Winner of his FIRST Tornament match!

Current Matches
1: Burma as allies Vs Trojan
thewolf
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Tempest » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:41 pm

OK, sign me up. It looks like a long wait until my next game in the TAO tourney.
I've never played anything in earnest but TAO (I'm a one trick pony) but Wiking Whiteout looks pretty straightforward and short and sweet.
My 2 cents on the CA; leave it on. I like it for identifying potential overruns (although executing them will not usually fit in with the overall game plan) and for a reminder that a set up attack needs to be done before ending the turn (I've achieved graybeard status and the mind is always the second thing to go). I look at it as a simulation of staff suggestions; using it as a basis of game strategy is a losing proposition.

Tempest
Tempest
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)