Last Stand at Korson Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Fantassin » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:10 am

Thanks to you all.

NoTalent, you have at least the talent to encourage me. :)

Joe, I simply use windows XP Paint on the <ctrl-P> captured BMP.
With the good level of zoom, I then manually draw the arrows (and do a lot of ctrl-Z :wink:).
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:05 am

Allied Turn 4 AAR – February 11, 1944 (PM) - Thaw ground and bleak weather.

Around the pocket:
Nothing much to say. Soviet forces attack along each side of the road to Korsun Airfield. With inadequate defensive grounds, we slowly withdraw to Korsun lines of fortification.

South front:
Well, Soviet High Command seems to not really know what to do with the 16th Tank Corps. Deployed in the morning near Lizyanka, they leave again disappearing north of the city. GHQ seems not to be overly concerned as the last preparatives for tomorrow offensives were devised.
In the West, the russian 3rd Tank and 5th Mech Corps executed a brilliant counterattack to disengage two of their brigades. But it is too late, too slow ...
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Maxblaster » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:13 am

Keep up the work, it's a lot of fun.
Because I was thrown out a long time ago from this tournament, I forgot about it... happy now that my day at the office was boring :-)
Image Image Image
Maxblaster
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Fantassin » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:38 am

Before Axis Turn 5 AAR – February 11-12, 1944 (Night) – Freezing weather.

Frozen grounds were anticipated for next morning. Not many were sleeping at GHQ as, during all the night, last-minute modifications of operationnal battleplans for tomorrow offensives were devised and reviewed again and again. Finally, just before dawn, commanders received their orders : Two major pushes will be made in the south. One in the east involving 11th and 13th PzD aimed at Zvenigorodka, the other north of Votilevka destined to strike at the Russian 40th Army HQ and open the roads to Krutiye Gorbi and Medvin. Here are the battleplans :

South front planned east offensive:

South front planned west offensive:

To be continued ... :)
Last edited by Fantassin on Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:05 am

Axis Turn 5 AAR – February 12, 1944 (AM) – Frozen ground and bleak weather (no air interdiction).
Unfortunately frozen ground will not hold and thaw is expected for the afternoon.

In the pocket:
Some units were redeployed to prevent river crossing by soviet forces. A local counterattack near Korsun Airfield repulsed appoaching enemy infantry.

South front east:
11th and 13th Panzer divisions easily overruned the surprised defender by crossing the Gniloi Tikich "en force". They were greatly helped by engineer units which repaired two bridges and allowed the crossing of several divisional armored elements.

South front west:
A major breakout was achieved in the west. Two soviet mech brigades were decimated by the onslaught and the 40th Army HQ couldn't escape our leading troops. A subsequent attack allow us to capture a small town which, while not an objective in itself, was however the key opening the road to Medvin. GHQ sole incertitude is tied to the evading 16th Tank Corps now nicknamed the 16th "Ghost".

Six kills this turn including 2 Mech brigades and one supply HQ.
Score is Axis leading by 575 pts with 719 projected (decisive at 300 VP, overwhelming 500).
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:27 am

Great attacks, really nice read... :)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby taiaha » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:29 pm

yeah, great AAR Fantassin, I can't wait for the next installment.
________
Yamaha Ox99-11
Last edited by taiaha on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taiaha
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Fantassin » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:43 am

Allied Turn 5 AAR – February 12, 1944 (AM) - Frozen ground and bleak weather.

Around the pocket:
Soviets continue to reduce Korsun defensive perimeter and the first attacks were made against the airfield fortifications. The 16th "Ghost" is rumored to have been sighted south of the pocket. Russian command start to withdraw some units like the 138th ID or 5th Gds Abrn and send them south probably to face our breakthrough there.

South front east:
Totally surprised and with only the 84th ID to react to our river crossing, the russian commander had to pull back the 20th Tank Corps and send it to protect Zvenigorodka.

South front west:
Here, the russians had no other choice than abandon the south side of the Gniloi Tikich river to expect survive and prevent us from crossing it. In the west, they establish a new defensive line in front of Stanislavchik. Supported by a very heavy artillery barrage and against all odds, an unexpected and costly attack by a lone brigade of the 3rd Tank corps succeeded in destroying the two batalion remnants of one our 34th ID regiment. They will be avenged ...

First loss for the Axis side :cry:
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:42 am

Axis Turn 6 AAR – February 12, 1944 (PM) – Thaw ground and bleak weather (no air interdiction).
Like today, frozen ground is expected for tomorrow morning.

In the pocket:
Orders have been given to hold Korsun Airfield at all costs and our best units have been deployed to this effect. Meanwhile, operations to reduce the russian 294 ID pocketed near Drabovka started and saw the surrendering of two of its regiments. In the south and to our surprise, Steblev seemed to have been deserted. Ost patrols were able to cross the river and reclaim the town.

South front east:
A great victory was achieved, the 11th and 13th Panzer divisions succeeded in their assault against Zvenigorodka and captured the city. This success gives us a good opportunity to pocket russian forces south of the Gniloi Tikich river between Zvenigorodka and Lizyanka. All available forces from the 198th ID and 16th PzD were send towards Lizyanka to try to hinder or cut enemy supply to Olkovets. Soviet command will have to withdraw its troops if he want to save them.

South front west:
The withdrawal of all russian forces across the river, excepted for a lone Katyusha rgt which was quickly dispatched, leave us with no target. The afternoon was used to redeploy and refit our forces in prevision of tomorrow morning attempt to cross the river.

Three more kills among which the first artillery …
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:12 pm

What a great AAR this has been.. it is at this point though that Aberdeen decided that the challenge ahead was too much in too little time and he gracefully resigned the game to Fantassin.

Fantassin takes the crown as the winner of the First Last Stand at Korson Tournament!! Congrats - and well done to both him and Aberdeen as runner up - not to mention all of those who took part in the Tournament!
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby sorcerer » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:01 am

Playing a game of this currently..some extremely wierd and may I say inept tactics used in the final.

Quite surprising considering it was the final... :roll: Would have prefered to seen more of a normal final.. :wink:
Image Image Image Image Image Image
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby stevel40831 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:07 am

sorcerer wrote:Playing a game of this currently..some extremely wierd and may I say inept tactics used in the final.

Quite surprising considering it was the final... :roll: Would have prefered to seen more of a normal final.. :wink:

Fantassin has a way of making his opponents appear "inept" -- Take it from me!

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out."

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:51 am

sorcerer wrote:Playing a game of this currently..some extremely wierd and may I say inept tactics used in the final.

Quite surprising considering it was the final... Would have prefered to seen more of a normal final..

Sorcerer, I don't really understand what you mean. Could you please lighten me about what you find weird or inept in this final, and what is a normal final ? or are you just taunting Aberdeen and me to get a reaction ?
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby sorcerer » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:10 pm

or are you just taunting Aberdeen and me to get a reaction ? :lol:

There is no need to raise your defensive shield so quickly, I would never consider wasting my time undertaking such actions.

I am very surprised that you cannot see how the final was not a "normal final", that is to say one that is played out using strategy refined by the two best players throughout the tournament. In all the Last Stand games I've played or heard of, whether PBEM or even AI, not one of them has thrown up the strategic peculiarities that occured in this final.

Russian Side.

1. What was the reason behind the dissapearance of the 16th tank?
2. Why were units not dug in north of Votylevka.
3. Why were units no opposing the river crossing, all it needs are weak units.
4. Why so many units blocking the central thrust? Just use the river lines and good defensive terrain.
5. Why leave the town of Steblev open?

German Side.

Never had it so good in the scenario..didnt even need to drive up the centre, just break through north of Votylevka. Not the most challenging game.. :wink:
Image Image Image Image Image Image
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:10 pm

sorcerer wrote:I am very surprised that you cannot see how the final was not a "normal final", that is to say one that is played out using strategy refined by the two best players throughout the tournament. In all the Last Stand games I've played or heard of, whether PBEM or even AI, not one of them has thrown up the strategic peculiarities that occured in this final.

Oh! that kind of 'normal' game. I assure you I played my best refined strategy in this game ... as I always do in fact. :) Of course part of this best strategy is to ensure that my opponent have no other choice than to conform to my plans. :wink:

sorcerer wrote:Russian Side.

1. What was the reason behind the dissapearance of the 16th tank?
2. Why were units not dug in north of Votylevka.
3. Why were units no opposing the river crossing, all it needs are weak units.
4. Why so many units blocking the central thrust? Just use the river lines and good defensive terrain.
5. Why leave the town of Steblev open?

1. Counter my thrust towards Lysianka, I presume, at least initially.
2. At start to try to take Votylevka (major russian objective), then because he had to counterattack to disengage his forces.
3. He has none at his disposal without lessening other parts of his frontlines.
4. Because my feint succeeded. He apparently believed the central thrust was my main effort. I remind you that the central thrust is the 'normal' german strategy.
5. A small mistake with no consequence. He will have easily reoccupy the town during his turn. My AAR comment was just for the story.

sorcerer wrote:German Side.

Never had it so good in the scenario..didnt even need to drive up the centre, just break through north of Votylevka. Not the most challenging game.. :wink:

Re-read my initial analysis. I remind you that Votylevka is normally the main south objective of the russian side. As german player, you normally have a hard time just not losing it, so breaking north of it is all but impossible without softening or diverting the russian 3 full armored divisions confronting your initial meager forces (ask Stevel40831 about it :wink: ).

Don't forget the battle around Korsun too. To me, this game was as challenging as any other.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)