Last Stand at Korson Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Manny » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:38 pm

On the topic of supplies/dumps etc etc

In my tournament game I find it very strange that I'm having real problems with my Russian units that are surrounding the pocket constantly going out of supply and into the red : so much so that I have to retreat back into supplied hexes just to continue my so-called offensive.

Am I doing something wrong or is this historically accurate ? (no, I've not read my copy of Hell's Gate yet, before you ask !)

Just seems odd that the Germans I have supposedly cut-off are in a better state of supply than my besieging units *sulk* :cry:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

My BiN Profile
"Modesty is not a virtue; it is useful only as a curb for youthful indescretion" - The Ethics of Aristotle

Games in progress

Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:45 pm

Manny,

If you're running into the red constantly it sounds like your supply trucks aren't placed correctly. Not sure if this is one of the scenario challenges or not (haven't played the scenario in quite awhile).

Recommendation is to place the supply units so that you get a projected supply region right up to where you are attacking.

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Manny » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:01 am

I am aware of the basics of supply but it just doesn't seem to me that there are enough trucks/roads to keep my units well-suplied.

Could just be a bad workman I guess :wink:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

My BiN Profile
"Modesty is not a virtue; it is useful only as a curb for youthful indescretion" - The Ethics of Aristotle

Games in progress

Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Pawlock » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:46 am

Manny,

Join the club, it seems in this scenario with thaw and an opponent with knowledge of how to cut the tap you will be buggered in certain area's. I have many of my supply trucks as near front as possible on road but a thaw turn hurts like hell. More trucks wont nessasarily solve the problem either. Just have to work round it as best you can.

As for the Germans getting better deal, well I would summise it only seems that way to us, and we must remember most Gweman units have 3 or 4 bullits. If you have a few turns of interdiction/partisan, put it on or near the airfield. Consecutive turns of this will cause them problems.
Pawlock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby hank » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:29 am

In my battle the first 5 or 6 moves where in the mud. I'm toast. My capable opponent has slammed me down in the mud and I'm the Germans. The first frozen turn just occurred but I'm not sure its going to help. My supply situation has been horrible and I think I know a little about where to put supply trucks ... not everything but a little. ... and movement has been the pits. Oh well, General Mud is having his way.
hank
Major
Major

Postby Fantassin » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:41 am

Manny wrote:I am aware of the basics of supply but it just doesn't seem to me that there are enough trucks/roads to keep my units well-suplied.

Don't forget that russian supply efficiency is at 50% in this scenario. This somewhat limit the distance between supply trucks and supply sources, partcularly in thaw weather. See manual page 35.

However the russians best units have often two or three bullets which give them some autonomy. So use it for the best.

Please pawlock don't read this last advice :)
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:04 pm

Janet Reno has replaced Jeebus in the Tournament.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Fantassin » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:42 am

Pawlock wrote:I never installed the fix, Im playing soviets,but fortunatly my opponent must have had fix. That said, if I lost due to this it would have been solely my fault. Mind you Im probably a couple turns from losing anyway, and you know whose fault it is? those dammed dice again :lol:

:roll: You mean my damned dice!
Last die rolls average statistics were 4.35 :shock: for your russians to 3.44 to my germans.

BTW I installed the fix as soon as it was avalaible.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:30 pm

Looks like I get the dubious distinction of being the first to report my exit from the tournament. Congrats to Carrington on a decisive Soviet win.

Unfortunately I can't blame my dice as they averaged 3.6, but IIRC we had 7 turns of mud. Yeah that's it, the mud did me in. OK, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

I think this scenario, while tough for the Germans, can go either way with a few breaks. A tip of the hat to whoever designed it.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Pawlock » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:38 pm

Lee Elmendorf wrote:Looks like I get the dubious distinction of being the first to report my exit from the tournament. Congrats to Carrington on a decisive Soviet win.

Unfortunately I can't blame my dice as they averaged 3.6, but IIRC we had 7 turns of mud. Yeah that's it, the mud did me in. OK, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

I think this scenario, while tough for the Germans, can go either way with a few breaks. A tip of the hat to whoever designed it.

Dont worry, I conceded as Russians to Fantassin yesterday. My excuse, well it was my first time on that scenario :)
Pawlock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:56 pm

Ok, I missed that. What a relief!

It was also my first time playing Last Stand so that is another good excuse. Thanks. :D
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Carrington » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:07 am

Lee Elmendorf wrote:Ok, I missed that. What a relief!

It was also my first time playing Last Stand so that is another good excuse. Thanks. :D

8) I, of course, have played last stand at Korsun many, many times. I admit it was an ambush.

A game well played, Lee, and I agree, a good scenario.

Looking forward to my second game... Anybody got a scout report on Carl Myers or Vampire?

Cary
Carrington
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby thewolf » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:25 am

Well Rob had promised to send out a reminder with the emails, but I will again be running a 2nd chance tornament for this scenario.

I'm hoping though this time NOT to have to play in it... So send me a email to thewolf@pacific.net.au so I can put you on the list.

First round will be random, everything else as per normal for this tornament.

The Wolf
ImageImage
TheWolf,

Winner of his FIRST Tornament match!

Current Matches
1: Burma as allies Vs Trojan
thewolf
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby hank » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:28 am

I too bowed out yesterday. The mud?! The first frozen turn occured on move 6 or 7. The Pocket was totally red by then. And my relief forces in the south were in a supply line quagmire. I had never played it PBEM but I had played it against the AI and did fairly well but I never played it with random weather.

Admiral mud, I congratulate you.

And to my competent opponent, I congratule you too. I hope you win it all.

hank
hank
Major
Major

Postby thewolf » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:05 am

And here I am now, waiting for Corporal Mud to make his appearance to try and save the tattered remains of MY forces...

ANyway with WAY too many one's rolled on both our sides I think, we're going to give our result up eitehr way to General Luck...
ImageImage
TheWolf,

Winner of his FIRST Tornament match!

Current Matches
1: Burma as allies Vs Trojan
thewolf
Sergeant
Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)