Soviet wanted for 2nd Ukrainian

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Soviet wanted for 2nd Ukrainian

Postby jeffthewookiee » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:51 am

Non-secure, ladder match please.
jeffthewookiee
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby sorcerer » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:36 am

How about a game of Last Stand.. :) :?
Image Image Image Image Image Image
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby jeffthewookiee » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:39 am

sorcerer wrote:How about a game of Last Stand.. :) :?

If you're willing to play non-secure, OK.
jeffthewookiee
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby sorcerer » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:24 am

Hmm it really has to be secure...and considering its such a short scenario (only 12 turns) I would not have thought security would be a problem for you?
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby jeffthewookiee » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:28 am

sorcerer wrote:Hmm it really has to be secure...and considering its such a short scenario (only 12 turns) I would not have thought security would be a problem for you?

Playing turns is time consuming, so I alternate between taking turns on my work computer during lunches and my home computer if I end up with any evenings/weekend time. Even at 12 turns, a scenario could take months if I can't play on both machines. If you're really concerned about me cheating, then don't be. It doesn't have to be a ladder match.

But one of the biggest barriers to me enjoying KP is that sheer amount of time it takes to get through a match. Couple that with getting the tar beaten out of me almost every time by people have been playing for years, and the frustration gets unbearable. I believe KP and the Decisive Battles series are great games, but I feel that these are the kinds of things that keep more people from playing them.
jeffthewookiee
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Noakesy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:43 am

I sent a note to Falco on this the other day. To my mind it would be really useful to:
1. Play secure
2. be able to go in and out of games
3. not show your opponent your position.

Similar to jtw, I sometimes have to stop at very short notice (child yelling at me) and go off to do other things, but if I leave the PC on then I get back to find my 11yr old taking my turn (aha, so that's why I won a game or two recently). :wink: Just my personal opinion on what would be a really neat development if at all possible.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby sorcerer » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:46 am

jeffthewookiee wrote:Even at 12 turns, a scenario could take months if I can't play on both machines. Couple that with getting the tar beaten out of me almost every time by people have been playing for years, and the frustration gets unbearable. I believe KP and the Decisive Battles series are great games, but I feel that these are the kinds of things that keep more people from playing them.

Firstly taking months to play a 12 turn game of the size of Last Stand is really a bit excessive, even if it is double time as you can only play on one PC. Surely just one or the other and a month maxiumum. Thats like one turn every two or three days and Last Stand is very small. Do you know this scenario?

There are and always will be differing skill levels, it up to each individual to find his style of play and learn each scenario. If you enjoy the series enough you will persevere after defeats and come back stronger.. :wink:
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby jeffthewookiee » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:11 am

sorcerer wrote:
jeffthewookiee wrote:Even at 12 turns, a scenario could take months if I can't play on both machines. Couple that with getting the tar beaten out of me almost every time by people have been playing for years, and the frustration gets unbearable. I believe KP and the Decisive Battles series are great games, but I feel that these are the kinds of things that keep more people from playing them.

Firstly taking months to play a 12 turn game of the size of Last Stand is really a bit excessive, even if it is double time as you can only play on one PC. Surely just one or the other and a month maxiumum. Thats like one turn every two or three days and Last Stand is very small. Do you know this scenario?

There are and always will be differing skill levels, it up to each individual to find his style of play and learn each scenario. If you enjoy the series enough you will persevere after defeats and come back stronger.. :wink:

Months may be excessive, but I don't think it's uncommon. It's definitely not uncommon to only play a turn every 2 or 3 days. People are busy. Email gets lost. It's not the easiest thing in the world to find an hour every day to sit down and play through a turn. Therefore, it makes sense to do things to make it easier for the players involved. If you make the experience rewarding, fun, and manageable in terms of time, then more people will play. If more people play, then you have more games whenever you want them, the publishers will make more money and put out better versions of the games you love.

As for differing levels of skill, this is a given. And I enjoy the depth and complexity of wargames or else I wouldn't play them. But I often here rumors of strategy and war games dying in the modern market of shooters and fast click real time strategy. I think it's a shame that this is happening, but there are reasons it is so. It's much easier for me to boot up Call of Duty and shoot other players for 1/2 an hour than to spend 2 months playing through a 40 turn campaign. And it doesn't take 6 months to learn the game system.

We are in a very real way a community devoted to supporting the kinds of games we love to play. It's not enough to just let people come and spend months of their life learning the game system and getting trashed by the old pros. Most people aren't going to want to stick around, sales are going to decline, and pretty soon there will be no new Decisive Battles games and no one to play the old ones. We need to work to get more people involved in the game by making it as easy to get into playing as possible. We should be teaching them to play, not throwing them to the wolves and trusting that if they survive enough good scraps they'll end up winning every now and then. We need to be flexible in playing matches with people so that matches will get played. And most of all, we need to realize that we are just as much a part of the game's success as the people who make it. People are what make games happen; and we don't keep people coming back if our attitude is "deal with it".
jeffthewookiee
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Brubaker » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:53 am

Noakesy wrote:
but if I leave the PC on then I get back to find my 11yr old taking my turn (aha, so that's why I won a game or two recently). :wink:

LOL

JeffTW I hear you about the differing levels of skill. It can be very frsutrating consistently being beaten this way.

I do wonder though why we don't use the in built handicap system more often. Is it a matter of pride? I would much rather be handicapped (or play against a handicap) than play a one sided game.

Maybe we should look at "weighting" the ladder, whereby a player of certain score or skill level automatically has to play a game with a -1 disadvanatge in combat and supply or similar? I have found that games against people using these advanatges certainly even it up somewhat.

In similar vein I am playing a game of "On to Paris" against an Allied AI at present where I gave the AI a full (+2) advantage. I can tell you it has made the thing more aggressive than funnel web spider. This doesn't mean its better (logic wise) of course but a hell of a more difficult opponent.

brubaker
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby sorcerer » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:25 pm

lol..the AI..haha it can always be destroyed because it doesnt protect its flanks or cover breakthroughs in the line. Making in +2, just means more step losses on the road to a crushing victory.

The ladder is already weighted. :wink:
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)