KP Full Campaign Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Brubaker » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:08 pm

On shortened games - I tend to quit a tournament game if it reaches a point where a favorable result cannot be reached. I do this solely to not waste any time for others. Any other ladder game I would continue to the bitter end because that is the fun of it, but I think it is important to not drag a tournament out for 12 months if possible. Maybe this is a good argument for short (dozen turn) tournaments?

Brubaker
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:24 pm

Hey SteveL, Wacht am Korsun didn't find any good search results :wink:

I don't know about the iron cross though, when I see large pics of it with Oak Leaves, diamonds and swords and "all that stuff" it never tires me because it looks so shiny :D , but enough about that. I'll install my KP now.

Postby Fantassin » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:17 pm

Brubaker wrote:On shortened games - I tend to quit a tournament game if it reaches a point where a favorable result cannot be reached. I do this solely to not waste any time for others. Any other ladder game I would continue to the bitter end because that is the fun of it, but I think it is important to not drag a tournament out for 12 months if possible.

My politic with tournament games (which are also ladder games), is to communicate who is the winner as soon as clearly known. But, at the discretion of both players, eventually continue the game for fun or to determine the level of victory for ladder purpose.

Brubaker wrote:Maybe this is a good argument for short (dozen turn) tournaments

Unfortunately, new released scenarios in recent past tend to be "monster" games.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:44 pm

Ok, here's the latest listing for the KP Full Campaign Tourny (2006-07 if Steve's to be believed :D ):
- Sorceror
- Kilgore trout
- Strax
- Carl Myers
- JVS Fugitive
- Jpalacios35
- Doggie3
- Jeffthewookiee
- Peteau
- Silviomelo
- Brubaker
- Bertram
- Aberdeen
- Falco
- Noakesy

One more place to go and then we're off. :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:09 pm

First stage of mission accomplished, JSS has confirmed he'll pitch in so I'll get the games out tomorrow 8) . I'll make a random draw and then get the games out probably tomorrow (although might be tonight if I get home early enough). Good luck everyone. :wink:
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:03 am

Well, had 30mins spare in my lunch hour so did the 'draw' at work, which is as follows (no bickering now, it's completely random so haven't had a chance to figure out whether this makes for the best tourny or not, hope you agree that's the way it should be):

1. Silvio (axis) vs Falco (russki)
2. Sorceror (axis) vs jpalacios35 (russki)
3. Jeffthewookiee (axis) vs peteau(russki)
4. Noakesy (axis) vs Strax (russki)

5. Carl Myers (axis) vs JVS Fugitive (russki)
6. JSS (axis) vs Brubaker (russki)
7. Bertram (axis) vs Aberdeen (russki)
8. Kilgore Trout (axis) vs Doggie3 (russki)

Usual format applies:
a. Secure game (can someone remind me, sorry, is this one of those games that if you don't complete your turn you end up showing your opponent your entire army?)
b. Winner of 1&2 plays winner of 3&4 etc), with subsequent armies to be drawn by me at random.
c. As peteau said before, we're using v1.12 so please make sure you have the relevant patches and version in place.
d. As tourny master my decision is final......ooh the power the power :wink: .
e. It's been pointed out in the previous notes, this is a long game, so please let's make sure we have a minimum of 3 turns/wk, any exceptionally slow games and I'll have to deem a winner if necessary.
f. I'll ask for regular updates to check on progress. Any problems please let me know (although real IT issues will have to be raised to a higher level)
g. If your PC blows up the game is awarded to the individual with the surviving kit (a variant on survival of the fittest I suppose).

I'll probably issue the games tomorrow a.m. UK time, although if I get home from work quickly tonight I might try and do it then.

Rob, I'll send you the web page once I've issued the games, if you could publish it on the SSG tourny site it would be much appreciated!

Good luck everyone.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby sorcerer » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:06 am

That is a very good draw..although JVS Fugitive will have to issue extra vodka ration to his Russian forces to defeat the German forces under Carl's command.

But oh god... :) the two generals who only the previous summer battled it out across the steppes around Kursk meet once more around Korsun.

This is going to be one hell of a game.. :P
Image Image Image Image Image Image
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

KP tournament

Postby Carl Myers » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:59 am

Noakesy
I'll probably issue the games tomorrow a.m. UK time, although if I get home from work quickly tonight I might try and do it then.

In KP, the first player starts up the game not the tournament master as in BiN or BiI.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby sorcerer » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:07 am

If that is correct it is a problem, because the Russian opening can be very dice dependant, thus making it beneficial for the Russian to re-do the opening turn.

To avoid this problem I have the following suggestion. All games must be conform to a strict name regulation. Individual player names used are the ones given to the list of tournament entries found in the draw list above, so no abbreviations or variations. Player 1 is the Axis player, player 2 the Russian player.

R1player1namevsplayer2name

For example: R1SilviovsFalco

Only games with this name structure are valid.
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:40 am

Thanks for the note guys, I thought that with the later version of KP you could simply enter two players' names on the chart as per BiI and BiN, however, just let me check with Rob tonight/tomorrow and then I'll get back to all tomorrow.

Cheers
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Graf Starhemberg » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:49 am

Hoho gentlemen, never did I see such a quick tournament start before here....three days not visiting this site and a new competition is already running?

Anyway in case of any dropouts I sent an registration l to Noakesy...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Graf Starhemberg
Major
Major

Postby JVSFugitive » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:22 am

sorcerer wrote:That is a very good draw..although JVS Fugitive will have to issue extra vodka ration to his Russian forces to defeat the German forces under Carl's command.

Drink up comrades :shock:
JVSFugitive
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Fantassin » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:15 am

Noakesy wrote:a. Secure game (can someone remind me, sorry, is this one of those games that if you don't complete your turn you end up showing your opponent your entire army?)

No, only BiN suffer from this "feature". :wink: I never experienced it with KP or BiI.

Sorcerer, don't KP have problem handling long names ? I don't remember if this issue was solved in KP v1.12.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby sorcerer » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:20 am

It was solved.
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:58 am

Well, looking at previous KP tournies (even post patch) it seems that the player going first gets the game going, in which case let's use the suggestion that Sorceror has made to keep everything above board (I'll include in my e-mail the suggested name for the file to keep it consistent).

I'll send e-mails with your opponent address and so on probably first thing tomorrow, if you don't mind I'd just like Rob to let me know whether there's another way around this - only a brief delay until the aussies check-in tomorrow (assuming Rob has some time), so you'll have to stay put in your strongpoints for tonight. :wink:
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)