TAO3 Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Robjess » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:03 am

pterrok wrote:The German High Command is pleased to announce that against all expectations, the von der Hyte Paratroopers have taken and HELD Stavelot! They faced down a 10-1+ attack and are frantically waving at the advancing Panzers to come and relieve them...

omg! That is one of the funniest things I have read.. :) I must say Im very impressed for these guys to survive for longer then a few hours is pretty good.. but for them to hold an objective and fend off ANY one at all with their pop guns and capsicum spray is, well, just incredible.

I that that answers your question... the most I have ever been able to do with them is for them to drop next to a supply truck or an ART unit and kill that.. they generally then throw down their guns and apologise :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Chris Merchant » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:01 am

They faced down a 10-1+ attack and are frantically waving at the advancing Panzers to come and relieve them...

LOL! Well done those men - Panzers Marsch!

The unit usually doesn't survive more than one turn but you were lucky to get it into a town hex where the chance of a no-effect result on the CRT is possible (this might be a heads-up to allied players in this situation to try multiple, smaller attacks rather than one big attack to spread the luck a bit).

As Rob has said, the unit is best used to disrupt supply lines, blow up supply trucks or ART units.

Cheers Chris
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:32 am

Well I went down fighting.. but.. i erm.. went down :) I bow out of the Tournament.. well done RKDuke!
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby RKDuke » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:49 am

Thanks Robjess. I have to say I was helped by a good measure of unfortunate (fortunate for me) dice rolls on your part. Anyways, I enjoyed our match and look forward to whatever Round 2 will bring.
RKDuke
RKDuke
Private
Private

Postby pterrok » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:20 am

Right now I predict that the winner of the tournament will be the Allied player in the final game. At that pairing both players will be extremely competent, and between evenly matched players it looks like the Axis needs to be perfect AND have lots of luck to MAYBE get ahead in points in a Draw...

Not to change rules in mid-stream or anything, but maybe the finals could have them play as each side with the total points determining the winner?
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RKDuke » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:30 am

Yes, that is a good idea pterrok. Having the finalist (or maybe also the semi-finalist play two games alternating sides would remove what I believe to be the bias favoring the allied player).
RKDuke
RKDuke
Private
Private

Postby Twinkle » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:59 am

RKDuke wrote:(... the bias favoring the allied player).

not really sure that it is so (but I have little practice of this scenario, started playing just before the tournament*), nevertheless I like the idea of mirror game for all levels of any tournament. But it might be best not to change any setting during the tournament unless all next round players agree to it.

/twinkle

* not counting TAO/TAO2 or that time when I got crushed as a newbie-KP player
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joel137 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:14 am

I understand the sentiment of the proposal, and wouldn't cry if things were changed. But I think there is some merit to only one game and suffering the luck of the draw.

This way the losers self-esteem can remain intact, as they can say they lost because they were given the wrong side. :lol:
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Maxblaster » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:02 am

Joel137,
In despite of the fact that you currently have the "best" side, I don't see a lot of progress from the allies, or is it your men are having some days off? :lol:

PS: Where can I find a list of VP's per casualty? (I want to know which units I can trade in for Germany's run for cover when the allied ARM units arrive.)
Maxblaster
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:29 am

RKDuke wrote:Yes, that is a good idea pterrok. Having the finalist (or maybe also the semi-finalist play two games alternating sides would remove what I believe to be the bias favoring the allied player).
RKDuke

What you mean it wasnt your skill that beat me!
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:31 am

Maxblaster wrote:Joel137,
In despite of the fact that you currently have the "best" side, I don't see a lot of progress from the allies, or is it your men are having some days off? :lol:

PS: Where can I find a list of VP's per casualty? (I want to know which units I can trade in for Germany's run for cover when the allied ARM units arrive.)

Right clicking on each of your units should tell you what the VPs for them are..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joel137 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:02 am

Maxblaster wrote:Joel137,

At the moment they are busy consulting German/English dictionaries to try to figure out how to translate "nuts". :lol:

Right click on a unit and pop-up appears that has all the hex info, but also lists the VP's for the unit.

BTW, I think I'm waiting for a move in both the tournament game and the "Race to the Meuse". Perhaps, you've already sent them and when I go home tonight I'll see it.
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Pustov » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:30 pm

Joel137 wrote: At the moment they are busy consulting German/English dictionaries to try to figure out how to translate "nuts".

Translate:Nuts: German; A plant substance with a hard coated shell
Translate:Nuts: American; someone who lost all touch with reality.

:D
Pustov
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Robjess » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:06 am

Fairfax waves good bye..

Here are the standings so far..

http://run5.wargamer.com/Tournieladder.htm

How is everyone else going in their games?
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Chris Merchant » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:16 am

Me and Bru will be up to turn 8 in the next day or so. Difficult game to call just yet - Americans have managed to form some lines but there are still some holes.

Cheers Chris
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)