TAO3 Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

cannon fodder

Postby hank » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:44 am

Yes, its me, the first victim (mr. cannon fodder). On weekends if I don't have visitors, my wargaming takes high precedence. I had Germans and failed to get my westward expansion going before my very worthy opponent blocked it off. We got up to around move 8 or 9 and I had not even reached Manhay ... in fact I was several hexes east of it and Bastogne. I tried some half baked southern excursions to disrupt his supply lines with no success.

Against a good TAO player who has Allies, if you don't get that westward expansion early to stretch their lines out, the odds are against you and you might as well resign. Which is what I did on move 10 (I think). The Allied resupply, reinforcement, and replacement situation is too much for the Axis. The window of opportunity is small for the Germans and if you don't get through it early it will close on you.

My opponent was gracious in victory and the game was a definite learning and positive experience. I predict there will be several others who should resign mid game as I did. Holding out in a hopeless situation is a waste of men and material. hehe ... and will hold up the tournament.
hank
Major
Major

Postby Joel137 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:06 am

You may wish to declare winner for purposes of the tournament, but continue the game for purposes of posting on the ladder if the level of victory is in doubt.

Tournament question: will the side you are playing in the 2nd and subsequent rounds be determined randomly? I hope the answer is yes.
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Von Snapphanen » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:03 am

yes the game is up and running(turn 10)

and I'm in the learning process :wink:

this is clearly the way to play wargames, even if you are new to it, a few go against the AI then of to figth with the human foe in pbem :D
Von Snapphanen
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Robjess » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:25 am

Yes - the side you play in subsequent Rounds will be determined randomly.. I have my trusty coin sitting here ;)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby thewolf » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:59 am

As a suggestion perhaps, those of us who are likely to go down fighting (or not) perhaps it would be good for a 'loosers pool' to be organised, just to give us something to do until the next tournament...

The Wolf (Not feeling very confident at the moment :(
ImageImage
TheWolf,

Winner of his FIRST Tornament match!

Current Matches
1: Burma as allies Vs Trojan
thewolf
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:18 am

hehehe the way its going for me at the moment I could be one of those losers very shortly :(
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby hank » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:39 pm

A 32 bracket consolation tournament crossed my mind also.

that would be nice for us who got stomped and those who didn't make it to the big show. count me in if there is a consolation tournament.
hank
Major
Major

Postby Robjess » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:53 pm

There is no reason why anyone else cant start up a Tournament.. I plan on starting another Tournament in a month or so.. but I dont have any plans for a special tournament for the losers of TAO.. I just dont have the time..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby thewolf » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:08 pm

OK, Gods help me, but I hearby will help with organising the 'consolation' tournament. Now stop laughing you lot... :D

Not that I have a clue, I'm guessing a moderate amount of email, and perhaps a new topic here would be what is needed.
ImageImage
TheWolf,

Current Matches
thewolf
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Twinkle » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:12 pm

thewolf wrote:OK, Gods help me, but I hearby will help with organising the 'consolation' tournament. Now stop laughing you lot... :D

:) :) :D :D 8) ...

/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby thewolf » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:14 pm

Well I'm out of it now...

First match and got my ass handed to me *sigh*
ImageImage
TheWolf,

Current Matches
thewolf
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Twinkle » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:38 pm

Hi theWolf!,

can you really quote yourself as being a brand new player anymore... :wink:
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:19 pm

Well if you do wanna run a Tournament.. I would probably suggest waiting a week or two and then getting one going.. probably not TAO3, maybe Wiking Whiteout or one of the smaller ones.. maybe Race to the Meuse.. and I wouldnt put any restrictions on who can enter it.. there is no reason why people cant play in 2 tournaments at once.

Although I would give priority to people who didnt get a seat for the TAO at all.. but its your call..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby thewolf » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:33 pm

Ahh but the point behind the losers tornament is for all the bunnies like me who have lost, get to see if they have learnt any lessons from their loss...

What I will do is keep the same structure of the tornament, except take the loosers and pair them up.

Ie Looser of Match 1 Vs Looser of match 2, etc, etc, etc.

If anyone wants to drop out I can steal some of those reserves to fill the holes...
ImageImage
TheWolf,

Current Matches
thewolf
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby pterrok » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:04 am

The German High Command is pleased to announce that against all expectations, the von der Hyte Paratroopers have taken and HELD Stavelot! They faced down a 10-1+ attack and are frantically waving at the advancing Panzers to come and relieve them...

My question to more experienced players: How often does this unit survive and/or do anything useful?

(Hoping I can keep up the pressure and leverage this gain; but I'm slightly bottled-up elsewhere.)
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)