TAO3 Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Islander » Sat May 22, 2004 12:54 pm

We're all in awe. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Too shocked to speak.
Islander
Captain
Captain

Postby Robjess » Sat May 22, 2004 1:09 pm

Im interested as to why JSS pulled up those strongpoints in the north.. but then again did he have any choice really?
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Islander » Sat May 22, 2004 1:16 pm

It does seem that having 2 regiments effectively cover 6 hexes at the front is advantageous to the Allies. Maybe supply is an issue in the far north.
Islander
Captain
Captain

Postby Joel137 » Sat May 22, 2004 1:23 pm

The is rather similar to the German offensive I had to face. I didn't release the sp's in the north. I lost big-time.

I also didn't leave the 28th ID regt in Diefeldt. I lost big-time.

I released the SP's in the south, but didn't do as good a job with the divisional integrity for 4th ID. I lost big-time.

I abandoned Diekirch. I lost big-time.

I'll have to play JSS sometime, but imagine that I'll lose big-time. :oops:
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Carl Myers » Sat May 22, 2004 6:30 pm

>> Im interested as to why JSS pulled up those strongpoints in the north.. but then again did he have any choice really? <<

Well, Tempest is committed down south and with mines in place, it would take several tuns to fully exploit an area of Allied replacment points.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Sat May 22, 2004 8:14 pm

I am by no means good at TAO3, in fact I've never won a competitive game from either side, but abandoning those forts is really not all that bad especially given the situation around the rest of the front, I would say it is not JSS's first option but it might be his best option at this point.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Sat May 22, 2004 11:25 pm

Here's a little background to understand:

Have played von Tempestedt twice before as the Allies... record is 0-1-1 against him.

First time I used my no slack in the North and South defense (eng + art behind major river; several times described as super-human). Result due to pace of Axis attack was two (leg infantry) divisions across the Meuse :shock: and overwelming defeat.

Second time saw dangerous push past Manhay and Awylie(sp)....

Northernmost regiment of 78 ID can easily be brought South. Pulling second regiment is highly dangerous and not part of my desired war plan. This was done in response to what I perceived as a successful Axis opening (losing all three regiments of 99 ID by turn 2 really hurt).

After two games with Tempest and my success against Troutie I fully believe a successful Axis attack (played at the highest level) can't be contained or stopped in the TAO3 scenario (the draw against Tempest came in an OTA version where the American infantry regiments have more than one bullet).

What you've seen to this point is an unstoppable Axis opening. I'm extremely uneasy after four turns due to the skill of Tempest and the backbreaking interdiction of 7Ar Div.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Joel137 » Sun May 23, 2004 3:43 am

Tempest's opening moves of turn 1 appear to have gone off flawlessly, or near flawlessly; though I can attest to the fact that his northern attack can still work rather well even with some bad luck, like an opening 1 against the cav unit and non-D1 result against the NE 99th ID regt.

Though I can also attest from some personal experience (against other players) that things can be a lot tighter in the North if you roll two one's in a row against the Cav unit and roll 2-3 non D1 results against that 99th ID regt. While only getting two greif teams for interdiction on turn one.

This resulted in me failing to kill the SP arty unit up there which has the +2 defensive bonus. Not fun for subsequent turns.

The attacks torwards Clerveaux and Deifeldt are essentially bad luck proof. Bad luck only causing step losses, but no loss of advance. You can risk a bad luck die roll against the last SP in the Deifeldt region; if you want to move some artillery on turn one. Which can prevent the Engineer from occupying the St. Vith-Deifeldt road hex. OTOH, if you forgo moving some Arty you can guarrantee occupying that hex.

While not in Tempest or probably JSS's class, I would concur with his comments; Tempest is very good at interdiction placement. In his game against me it felt like he always knew the exact worst place to place those boys.
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Allied Turn 3

Postby Robjess » Sun May 23, 2004 10:16 am

Third Army (Lucky Fwd) War Diary:

17 Dec 44

00:15 Hours: First Army is attempting to put up a defensive barrier.

They’ll need to do something quick if the rollbahnen are to be closed. Getting reports that 78 ID has shifted South leaving 5 Ar Div to screen behind the Huertegan Forest. Analysis of von Tempestedt messages are that he considers the roads to the North of his rollbahnen to be “a dead end.” First Army will put that to the test!

02:00 12th Army Group is sending reports of Sabotage Teams; looks like spies dressed up GI uniforms and equipment. Changing road signs and misdirecting traffic. Sounds like there’s lots of them. Reports are they’re very effective.

06:45 7 AR Div has fallen victim to the misdirection. They’ve reported near Nijmegan! Will be another 24 hours before they arrive. Not sure First Army has enough troops to keep Rollbahnen 3 & 4 closed…

09: 30 First Army reports Rollbahnen 3 & 4 defense is holding for now.

Vielsalm was given up without a struggle (This isn’t good). 1 ID (-) and a 7 Ar Div Combat Command have passed thru a traffic jam at Liege en route to defend Manhay-Houffalize corridor. Other two 7 Ar Div Combat Commands are still many hours away.

Diary note: Defense is holding but line is thin. von Tempestedt will surely press these hard in the afternoon. First Army really needs 7ArDiv this evening.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

German Turn 4

Postby Robjess » Sun May 23, 2004 10:21 am

Not a lot of comments. JSS continues putting up a fine zoc net.

Pushed NW of Malmedy, swung a VG division towards the north of Monschau in response to the withdrawal of the dispersements, killed a TD next to Vielsam and chipped some steps off 2 more units. I've heard reports that the paradrop W of Eupen is causing consternation with Allied reinforcements.

Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Allied Turn 4

Postby Robjess » Sun May 23, 2004 10:31 am

13:00 First Army reports are not reassuring. As expected defense is holding by gaps are being probed hard. A tank destroyer task force has not reported in more than six hours.

Fear they have been overwhelmed…. Rollbahn 3 will open up wide if this is the case.

17:20 Tank destroyer battalion destroyed. 1st ID has been sent to close Rollbahn 3. Still by the estimate now is that Rollbahn 4 will open. Worst of all positions taken by Big Red One are now too far from shield position needed. When 7 Ar Div arrives tomorrow it will be too little, too late.

23:10 Receiving reports from Manhay of 3 Panzer Divsions closing on the town. 1st ID still has not arrived. Situation looks bad.

Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

German Turn 5

Postby Robjess » Sun May 30, 2004 9:48 pm

JSS has decided to try holding onto Houfallise and has built a line down and to the west of the clear terrain at Bastogne. This was unexpected as there are Axis units circling to the northwest. Killed a 4th inf unit near Bastogne with multiple attacks; the Axis arty has advanced into range for support. Continued advancing northwest of Monschau with the VG divison and moved the FB reinforcement to the southeast; the hexes south of Monschau are being held by arty units so these two moves should force JSS to divert units there in defense. Otherwise, some more "chipping" attacks and the westward push continues to hex north of Manhay.

Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Allied Turn 5

Postby Robjess » Sun May 30, 2004 9:55 pm

18 Dec 44

00:45 Hours: Strong attacks reported by 109 Reg 28 ID. Regiment was given tough mission to delay road into Bastogne.

03:00 109 Reg 28 ID reports strong patrols by passing regimental HQs. Expect resistance in this area to break. Still they must delay until around noon when all of 10 AR Div will be in place.

07:35 Panzers sighted at Bastogne. No more reports from 109 Reg. Must have been overrun.

10:45 Still no 7 AR Div. First Army reports situation looks bleak.

Rollbahn 4 (above) is being used to pour armored vehicles into First Army’s rear areas. Reports are Rollbahn 3 (below) will only be closed through tonight…

tomorrow morning will see the breakout.. Monty brought up falling back to the Meuse at this morning’s commanders conference. Brad dismisses this out of hand but First Army may not have any choice.

Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

German Turn 6

Postby Robjess » Sun May 30, 2004 9:59 pm

JSS didn't reinforce the arty south of Monschau, they were overrun, the Monschau strongpoint was destroyed and Axis fusalier units streaked in to take the town!

They likely won't survive the inevitable counterattack, though. The Allied tank battalion left in defense of Manhay is surrounded and attacked to take away its remaining bullet (it used one on the Allied last turn digging in; always watch the replay!). It will be isolated and "evicted" next turn.

Pounded at the Houfallise-to-Bastogne line of defenders but didn't kill any; the Axis high command is increasingly hoping the units moving west to the north of Houfallise will persuade him to leave peaceably. No Axis air interdiction this turn so the 101st will come on unhindered.

Getting a little nervous as the Axis has taken high step losses and has no reserve divisions released. The 1st SS is diverted towards Bastogne in response to the stiffening defense.

Last edited by Robjess on Sun May 30, 2004 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Allied Turn 6

Postby Robjess » Sun May 30, 2004 10:06 pm

13:00 7AD finally nears the main battle area. They should be fully engaged by nightfall.

15:20 Multiple armor columns streaming past Manhay garrison. Organized resistance along Rollbahn 3 is failing fast.

Looks like nothing will stop them before the Meuse.

20:10 Strong armored columns driving toward Monschau! Picket position could not be reinforced in time. Unexpected battalion of Tigers simply crushing resistance. An all out attempt to restore defense of city is underway. 2ID is forced to abandon Elsenborn to save Monschau.

21:30 First attempt to clear Monschau fails. A final effort must succeed!

22:45 Manhay is isolated and tank crews have fired their last round.

Resistance will be gone by sunrise.

23:00 A critical situation is deloping between Houffalize and Bastogne. 9 AR Div is given orders to hold at all costs.

23:30 Bitter news. A small Kampfgruppe of green troops..

..has thrown off three regimental size attacks and Monschau goes to von Tempestedt.

Monty is already picking out defensive positions in Huy.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)