TAO3 Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Robjess » Tue May 11, 2004 7:16 pm

I am in negotiations with the Generals concerned and we are working out the details of a possible AAR.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Twinkle » Tue May 11, 2004 7:26 pm

please, please, we want screenies and comments to go with them :)

that would be really nice, regards
/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Manny » Tue May 11, 2004 7:29 pm

You'll never make cheerleader like that Twinkle !
Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Flashman » Tue May 11, 2004 9:09 pm

now there is an image- Manny and Twinkle with Pom Poms!
Flashman-

Indecision is the key to flexibility!
ImageImageImage
Flashman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Pom Poms

Postby Carl Myers » Tue May 11, 2004 9:44 pm

>> now there is an image- Manny and Twinkle with Pom Poms! <<

20mm or 30mm Pom Poms?
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Tue May 11, 2004 9:58 pm

as long as it is made by Bofors, I'm happy ...
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby JSS » Sat May 15, 2004 2:55 pm

Twinkle wrote:please, please, we want screenies and comments to go with them :)

that would be really nice, regards
/twinkle

Alright, finally produced first two turns of review. Will see if this is going to be useful as something bad has happened to start turn 3.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Robjess » Sat May 15, 2004 3:16 pm

Are we ready to start the AAR then? :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

TAO3 Tournament Final AAR

Postby Robjess » Sat May 15, 2004 3:18 pm

The Following is an AAR of the TAO3 Tournament Final between Tempest (Axis) and JSS (Allies). Feel free to add comments as you go along.. but remember its easy to be critical of someones 'moves' in hindsight and without doubt these two are two of the best TAO players out there - otherwise they wouldnt be meeting in the Tournament Final.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Germans Turn 1

Postby Robjess » Sat May 15, 2004 3:50 pm

As reported from the German Commander - Tesmpest:

An average first turn for the Axis; a little bloodier than usual but not bad. The Axis objectives for the turn is to destroy the NE 9th regiment and put the SE 99th regiment out of supply and isolated; advance as far west as possible in the center, and swing units from south towards map center. I'm an advocate of moving the 2nd PZ NW towards Vielsam instead of W towards Clerveaux. The immediate Axis objective(as JSS already knows) is to lunge west in the center and ,appropriately enough, "bulge" the Allied line. Now to wait for JSS to make a mistake (I'll have to be patient, I'm afraid).

Note that some units have been edited and removed from this image. Also note that the game is actually several turns ahead of this post, so the opponent will not gain that much from viewing this image :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Allied Turn 1

Postby Robjess » Thu May 20, 2004 7:02 pm

The Allied army is shocked and in disarray.. reports coming from the front are scarce..
Last edited by Robjess on Thu May 20, 2004 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

German Turn 2

Postby Robjess » Thu May 20, 2004 7:15 pm

The German Commander, Tempest reports:

"It felt like I was playing myself that turn; with only a couple exceptions, JSS moved about like I would.

The Axis strategy is to use that delectable Axis +4 shift on arty use in as many attacks on combat units as possible and continue lunging west.

Killed the remaining unit of the 99th inf with multiple attacks and chipped a couple steps off other units. Attacked the 116th units at low odds (1 to
1.5) attacks to take away their supply (didn't have to attack the 116th that dug in next to St Vith since he used his bullet doing it).

Don't know if I agree with putting the 28th inf into Dietrick. It does cost the Axis a hex of movement westward and restricted other movement somewhat but at the price of the certain loss of the unit (it was attacked at low odds after overrunning the strongpoint to make it isolated next turn).

Was very fortunate in getting 3 Grief teams this turn; one went to Malmedy are and the other 2 in the south near Wiltz. Can't keep the mechanized units JSS moved near Spa last turn out of the central region but they'll make defending the road to Bastogne tough (I hope)."

Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Allied Response (Turns 1 and 2)

Postby Robjess » Thu May 20, 2004 8:07 pm

Third Army (Lucky Fwd) War Diary:

16 Dec 44

14:15 Hours: Hearing rumors of the German counter offensive I’ve been expecting. Expect this is the von Tempestedt assault that will be so dangerous thru First Army’s extended positions.

18:45 Brad has ordered 10 AR Div to VIII Corps at Lux City. Will have to postpone the planned offensive in the Saar region. Protested most strongly but Brad would hear nothing of it. He’s right anyway. Will also get III Corps with three divisions moving toward Lux City in the morning. Brad also ordered 7 AR Div from Ninth Army to report to VIII Corps.

21: 30 Have obtained a copy of the von Tempestedt war plan:

“Armee Grupen von Tempestedt conducts aggressive, no holds barred, offensive operations to breakthrough American Gangster defenses not later than 18 Dec (turn 5).

5 Pz Armee attacks along Rollbahnen 3, 4, & 5 to clear Vielsalm, Houffalize, and Bastogne. Secondary objectives will be Manhay and La Roche. Ultimate objective is to seize Meuse River crossings between Namur and Huy to enable future operations aimed at seizing Antwerp.

6 Pz Armee attacks along Rollbahnen 1 & 2 to seize Malmedy, Stavelot, and Trois Ponts. Stoumont and Aywaile are the secondary objectives. Ultimate objective is to seize Meuse River crossings between Engis and Liege to enable future operations aimed at seizing Antwerp.

7 Armee will support 5 Pz Armee and secure their Southern flank while interdicting Third US Army arriving units.

G2 Countermeasures Analysis

A defense shield wall must be in place by midnight on 17 Dec (turn 4) and where it is systematically upgraded from a barbed wire fence (turn 2)...

... to solid granite NLT 1800 on 18 Dec 44 (turn 6).

If any of the five rollbahnen..

.. open up then holding a coherent defense will be very difficult.”

Sixth Panzer Armee..

.. has two rollbahnen in the Northern section and Fifth Panzer Armee..

.. has three rollbahnen in the center section. Looks like von Tempestedt will look for a couple of these to open up and surge five panzer divisions down them. Southern sector looks poorly resourced; will likely get a chance to strike the soft underbelly of Seventh Armee when it extends itself. III Corps will be ready to attack NLT 21 Dec (turn 11) with 5 ID, 26 ID, and 80ID; will tell Ike this when I see him.

23:00 Reports from First Army aren’t good.

Two regiments of 99 ID are cut off and out of contact. All of 106 ID is now cut off. Two new divisions set up for failure; nothing to be done given the pace of von Tempestedt’s offensive.

Seems 112 Inf Regiment of 28 ID is not falling back into better defensive positions… hope Middleton knows what he’s doing with that regiment.

Several artillery bns also are out of communications. If they do become lost in the maelstrom hopefully they will impede 6 Pz Armee’s advance.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

German Turn 3

Postby Robjess » Thu May 20, 2004 9:29 pm

From our German Commander:

JSS did a magnificent job of creating a zoc net to limit the Axis westward advance. I overran a few support units and chipped a few armor steps off units but didn't kill anything other than a isolated 116th unit and the 28th inf in Dietrik.

JSS has opted to call in 2 of the 3 Allied disbursements in the north, so some Axis units are headed that way. While its tempting to get the extra infantry regiments in play, I believe it will ultimately lead to the fall of Monschau.

Killed one 116th unit and will mop up the other 2 next turn. Have a force down the center road to Hoffalise and pushed up against his Bastogne area defenders.

The German para went north near Eupen to delay the northern reinforcements.

The next few turns are arguably the most critical in the game. The Axis has 3 more turns of advancement before the arrival of the Allied airborne and other reinforcements allow the Allies to start building a defensible line.

Last edited by Robjess on Sun May 23, 2004 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Sat May 22, 2004 9:06 am

No one is commenting on this..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)