TAO3 Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Korsun Pocket?

Moderators: AlexS, Joss, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

German Turn 7

Postby Robjess » Sun May 30, 2004 10:11 pm

The Monschau counterattack was well executed but General Dice ruled otherwise and the Axis still holds; this releases the reserve Mountain division which is sent towards the gathering storm which is Bastogne.

Axis units hop the river west of Houfallise and, in conjunction with the kill of an armored regiment and thrust northwest, completes the zoc ring around Houfallise.

Allied units in the pocket are attacked at low odds to take away their bullet and most will be isolated next turn. Some well placed Allied air interdiction has created a supply bottleneck up the center but the capture of Manhay should help next turn.

The Axis advances north and west of Webremount and Larouche, although the lack of supply ruled out extended movement for most. Elsenborn is abandoned and occupied by the Axis while Monschau is now securely in Axis hands.

Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Sun May 30, 2004 10:18 pm

Is there no stopping Tempest? Gents, 7 turns and JSS resigns and has handed Tempest the TAO3 crown. Congrats to both of you - for you to both reach the Final shows just how good each of you are at this game.

I remember back in Round 1 when the Tournament started (all those months ago), and I was trying to predict who would be crowned TAO3 champ. I didnt know. Although if pressed I would have written 3 names on a bit of paper to be sealed in an envelope until this time. Those 3 names would have been Troutie, JSS and Tempest - in no particular order.

Well done Tempest - you have shown what many who lay in your wake already know.. we all await the Roger v Tempest show down now :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Sun May 30, 2004 10:22 pm

The winner has been decided! Congrats to both players..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby pterrok » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:31 am

Welease Woger!

(And maybe jigger the random roll to give Tempest Allies so we can see it from both sides! :lol: )
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Score?

Postby Vampire » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:10 am

Just curious,

what was the score after these seven turns and what would it be at the end?

Greetz, Vampire.
Shiny Objects of Honour:
Image Image Image Image
Vampire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby JSS » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:53 pm

Score was +518 Axis projecting to a deceptive +513 Allied. After Houffalize and Martelange would have fallen this would have projected out to about even.

Really telling statistic is losses: 106 ID, 99 ID, 28 ID destroyed plus 2/3 of 9 AR Div was cut off by last fancy manuever (which destroyed a combat command of 10 AR Div and a supply HQ in the process)... add a pair of tank battalions & a pair of tank destroyer battalions gone and there simply weren't enough units left to prosecute a successful campaign.
JSS
Site Admin

Score

Postby Vampire » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:36 am

Thanx JSS, that's clear. TAO seems to get finished long before the end, because most of the time it's clear before turn 10 who's going to win. Sometimes though I wonder if the allies are in a position to make it up in the last ten turns.
TAO4 seems to do a better job: The germans have an easier job to make a 'bulge', but face fuel shortage after that, making it harder to go much further than they originally did...

Greetz, Vampire
Shiny Objects of Honour:
Image Image Image Image
Vampire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Score

Postby Joel137 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:10 am

Vampire wrote:. . . Sometimes though I wonder if the allies are in a position to make it up in the last ten turns.
. . .Greetz, Vampire

I wonder that as well, which is why I like the 32 turn scenario and even the 40 some odd turns in the original TAO. I think the extra length puts an important check on how ambitious and risky the German player can be in the early moves. And gives the allied player a "fun" part of the game as well.

I hope TAO4 will reflect this.
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Korsun Pocket Play By Email (PBEM)