indirect fire for battles in italy?

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Battles in Italy?

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

indirect fire for battles in italy?

Postby jjdenver » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:32 pm

Hi,

Is indirect fire possible for battles in italy? The manual doesn't mention it however this sentence from the Europe scenario notes online:
"Air units can therefore provide combat support in terms of attacking and defensive shifts, interdiction individual hexes and also barrage individual hexes and strongpoints. "
indicates it is possible to use indirect fire?

Also when I click on an air unit in this scenario or an artillery unit in other scenarios and then hover my mouse over an enemy unit I get an icon that looks like a hex with a green artillery unit in the middle. I asked a PBEM opponent what this icon means and he thinks it is for artillery interdiction. Is this correct?

Thanks for any help/explanation.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: indirect fire for battles in italy?

Postby Carl Myers » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:45 am

Is indirect fire possible for battles in italy?

Fortifications can be bombarded by designated artillery or naval gunfire. Artillery and air bombardment against enemy units is in conjunction with an attack by your combat units on the enemy units.

I asked a PBEM opponent what this icon means and he thinks it is for artillery interdiction. Is this correct?

Yes.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:33 am

Hi,

Thx for the reply. I hope you don't mind if I ask a different question. I'm having trouble figuring out how to start a pbem game. My opponent sent me a .dbi file and mentioned that I should open and send back to him.

1) Can you tell me which folder to save the .dbi file in?
2) Once I save it I'm unclear what to do next to open a pbem game.
I'm able to choose:
- start a new game
then
- setup email game
then I have a choice to "accept email game" and I see 3 file boxes to left. 2 of them are for profiles and one is for the game but there seems no way to browse for game file?

If I "choose accept email game" then I get 2 more buttons "accept email game" or "start email game". "start email game" seems to start the game (which I don't want because I haven't yet been able to specify the file or game name my opponent sent to me, and because I'm the 2nd player), "accept email game" takes me back to the screen I mentioned above where I see 3 file boxes again.

I tried to research this in SSG documentation that I have and also browsed various message boards here at SSG and at Matrix for a tutorial. It seems to me that I saw a PBEM tutorial once but I can't relocate it. Is there some helpful post or tutorial available or am I possibly just missing it in the SSG docs? Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thx
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby jjdenver » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:53 am

I think that I can partially answer my own question so am posting here in the hope that it will help the next new guy.

1) Save the .dbi file in the /SaveEmail/Play folder
2) Start up BiI game. There will now be a button for "Load Email Game" on the first screen that wasn't there before. Click that button.
3) Pick the file you just put in "Play" folder
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Carl Myers » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:12 am

1) Can you tell me which folder to save the .dbi file in?
2) Once I save it I'm unclear what to do next to open a pbem game.

1. Save it to the Battles in Italy/SaveEmail/Play folder.
2. Either double click the saved file in the Play folder
or start the program, choose Load Email Game, click on the turn to highlight it and click Load It.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Return to Battles in Italy Play By Email (PBEM)