AAR Rommel Master of Battle German

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Battles in Italy?

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Talos » Thu May 14, 2009 5:08 am

SS Hauptsturmfuhrer wrote:It'll be interesting to see if the Soviets can get through the gaps and do some damage.

Hmm hope might be a the right word hear. :roll:
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Thu May 14, 2009 5:54 am

SS Hauptsturmfuhrer wrote:It'll be interesting to see if the Soviets can get through the gaps and do some damage.

without wishing to give away the end of this tragic story... :cry: :wink:

I think the better AAR would have been Slevi against Talos as that would be a more even match, but somehow I got through to the final (even Strax had to express the "how the hell did that happen" line), but there you go :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Sat May 16, 2009 9:01 pm

German Turn 10
This is the last of the bad weather turns for the moment, and so I want to try and be in a position where possible to attack any Soviet units with over run attacks next turn, if Noakesy allows this to happen.

4th Pz Armee
I will again start with the Prajov, Nizhna Kalinski and Nizhna Chirskaya sectors, as all remains quite, apart from forces moving through them. Just east of Nizhna Kalinski is the village of Surovikino which Soviet forces are now getting close to and a place i will have to guard as recon units could do a lightning raid in the future.
Turn 10 End Prajov, Nizhna Kalinski, Nizhna Chirskaya and Surovikino sectors

South of Kalatsch the alert 336th Division closes in on the position of the 15th GRD which will help screen and keep these units in check just before the bad weather ends, in future the 116th Mot Division will also be moving in the direction. These units will also act as a reserve for the main battle further north.
Turn 10 End 336th Division

At the Kalatsch front for the 4th Pz Armee more Soviet forces in the form of Rifle Divisions arrive and extend the front line further west. In response the German forces do the same, though the line does get a bit thinner, but I still manage to maintain some reserves, behind the main battle line. As the arty is not being used for any offensive action this turn i use the two nebelewfer units and the heavy arty to provide some interdiction to movement juts behind the Soviet line. Northing else of significant happens this turn as I wait for better weather.
Turn 10 End Kalatsch

6th Armee
As shown in the above image, Noakesy is concentrating his forces against the southern and northern end of the perimeter, though is not pressing two hard at the moment, this will change next turn with the good weather and i will have to retreat back into Kalatsch proper over the next 4-5 turns. Once this happens I will have to make a decision about keeping open the supply source to the west and if to put any more forces into the area, or accepting a pocket and start fighting a mobile battle against the Soviet hordes. My natural inclination is for the later as it forces Noakesy to make a decision on how much force to commit to taking Kalatsch, and potentially the forces left to the west maybe open to counter attack. But probable the safest thing to do is carry on slugging it out as I am doing at the moment as long the line holds and forces are strong enough to do so.

A quick screen shot of the PZG regiment of the 29th Mot surrounded and out of supply on the steppe, this unit will be finished off next turn by Noakesy's forces, though it may have had a benefit i did not think about when i tried to move this unit to Kalatsch. Its kept a portion of Noakesy's forces occupied away from the battle areas east and west of it for a few turns which is not a bad thing from my perspective.
Turn 10 End 29th Motorised

At the Marinowka front i continue my tactic of attacking the armoured brigade of the 4th Mech, now being reinforced by a rifle regiment, we will see next turn if they are both out of supply and open to a more devastating attack. Further east towards Karpovka the 3rd Mot joins the front line, and i sense another opportunity to pick off at least one and maybe two rifle regiments of the 254th near the edge of the map. It will have to wait until next turn, but if these units do not retreat or are not reinforced they will be in atricky position.
Turn 10 End Marinowka

Nothing much happening in the Peskovatka sector as another unit of the 76th Division arrives at the front, and i still need to make up my mind what to do with the last reimnet of the 384th.
Turn 10 End Peskovatka
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Sun May 17, 2009 10:24 pm

Kalatsch should be a good fight this time rather than just a coralling operation. It looks like the numbers are kinduv the same on each side so Germany might be able to do some toe-to-toe action rather than just hunkering down.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Talos » Tue May 19, 2009 5:11 am

German Turn 11
The good weather returns, and German offensive operations maybe possible before the Soviet forces get there act together. These will be local tactical and spoiling attacks as the German are not strong enough to lauch a co-ordinated attack in any sector.

4th Pz Armee
I will again start with the Prajov, Nizhna Kalinski and Nizhna Chirskaya sectors, as all remains quite, apart from forces moving through them and Surovikino remains garrisoned. Two new infantry divisions (385th and 387th) are starting to arrive in the Kalatsch Battle sector just in time to provide added depth to the defence line.
Turn 11 End Nizhna Kalinovski
Turn 11 End Nizhna Chirskaya

Just south of the main battle line west of Kalatsch the 336th and 116th Motorised attack the 15th GRD forcing one of the regiments to retreat, but to have any major success here i will need more forces and a sustained offensive over at least a couple of turns. It maybe i will have to accept that this will just be a screening operation, potentially until the end of the game, though Wiking may make a difference or if I can pull out enough troops from the front further north to make the necessary impact.
Turn 11 End 336th

Kalatsch west battle, Noaksey is massing his forces for a major push against my defences but where this actual attack will happen is a major unknown. The line is strengthened where possible and certain units are put behind the front line in what i feel will be the most threatened sectors so any retreats have the chance to fall back on prepared defensive positions. I do not launch any attacks, its a question of wait and see at the moment on what Noakesy does. Also of note is the 1st Guard Mech Corps is arriving at the front and it will be interesting to see where Noaksey deploys this force.
Turn 11 End Kalatsch

6th Armee
Kalatsch battle proper, Noakesy is again massing his forces along the north and south points of my perimeter and i expect a major push in his turn to try and breach my defensive line. Where possible i have tried to put some reserve forces behind the main line, but i have a lot less forces at my disposal here to do so. Luckily as the troops retreat into a tighter perimeter, my force density will increase as long as I do not take to many casualties in these units. The priority for the defence will be Kaltsch itself as i do not want this to fall at all, especially as it will release the remaining front reserves once Kalinski is taken as well in the not to distant future.

Further east in the Marinowka sector i launch an attack against the 4th Mech Corp armoured Brigade, the Rifle Regiment and an engineer unit that has also joined them. As i hoped the rifle regiment and armoured brigade are out of supply and Noakesy has stacked their retreat hex with two units so one of the units will not be able to retreat and is likely to be destroyed because of this. The attack goes in and the 4th Mech Armoured Brigade is destroyed and both other units retreat in disarray. Further east the 389th and 3rd Motorised attack a regiment of the 254th and destroy it and manage to get into a position to stop the other unit of the 254th retreating, unless it is relieved, it will be destroyed next turn. Unfortunately this is not the critical area of operations and so although the attacks have been successful it remains a side show to a large extent, Kalatsch is now the key to this battle and game. Unfortunately there is no screen shot for this turn for this area.

At Peskovatka the 76th gets mostly into position and i decide to send the last regiment of the 384th to Vertjatschi, while the X1 Korps supply is sent east towards safety and out of range of Noaksey's recon units. This is being done because forces are now crossing the river south of the 76th position, and its expected that they will be under attack in the near future.
Turn 11 End Peskovatka

Finally a screen shots of the kills so far in this game.
Turn 11 Kills
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Tue May 19, 2009 10:17 am

I use a defense in depth sometimes too to avoid double overruns. I found it is good if the units can be spared but a lot of head scratching is needed to pick units for 2nd line duty and to predict the location of enemy assaults.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Wed May 20, 2009 12:05 am

The question of how to build a defensive line is always tricky, but you should always try to leave hexes/unit slots in a hex open so units can retreat.

If you really don't want to place a unit behind a 4 unit stack, you should try to use a weaker unit to place a detachment in the hex of the 4 unit stack, so that a follow-up attack becomes far less likely to succeed should the stack be bumped a hex to the rear. In this case, the river already has more or less the same effect as a detachment, but normally it's worth the cost of missions a few points on defense due to one unit not being entrenched.

Ideally, you'd move a unit into the stack, place a detachment and move it out, with another unit taking its place again.

Minefields could also be used to protect a retreat, but I prefer to place minefields in a hex where, if the enemy moves in, I can counterattack due to the shift penalty the enemy gets.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Wed May 20, 2009 6:41 pm

German Turn 12
4th Pz Armee

I will again start with the Prajov, Nizhna Kalinski and Nizhna Chirskaya sectors, as all remains quite and Surovikino remains garrisoned. Just south of the main battle the 116th Motorised screens the 15th GRD, while the 336th heads north to the main battle area.
Turn 12 End Prajov, Nizhna Chirskaya, Nizhna Kalinovski and 116th

West of Kalatsch Noakesy is still moving his forces west to outflank the German line and there is now a significant gap between the line garrisoned by the Pz troops and the newly arriving Infantry units entrenched about Surovikino. There is not much I can do about it this turn apart from hope that Noakesy does not push to hard or in any great force here. In preparation for next turn i send the 336th north to join the line here to help close the gap and to help in any counter attack. A major attack here with enough troops and if Noakesy is prepared to run some risks with his troops could cause more than major problems for the defenders.
Turn 12 End Kalatsch

6th Armee
At Kalatch I am forced to conceded more ground to Noakesy's troops and to get an all round defensive perimeter in place, though it is weak in a number of places and Noakesy seems to be making the attack here is main effort. I am forced out of Kalinski so there is now not to much point in holding the northern perimeter so far north and this will retreat over the next few turns even without Noakesy's attacks. Also note that I am now positioning forces behind the main line and in the near future will be wanting to have a second line of entrenched troops behind the first line of defence as the battle has reached the outskirts of Kalatsch Village.

In the Marinowka sector the the 389th and elements of the 3rd Motorised finish off another regiment of the 254th and then redeploy into new positions. The 3rd Mot is sent north and west to safeguard the unsecured flank as Noakesy is now starting to send forces this in this general direction.
Turn 12 End Marinowka

At Peskovatka the 76th fully recombines into mutual supporting range and entrenches around the village, further west the lone regiment of the 384th entrenches in Vertjatschi and the IX Corps supply is sent further east out of harms way.
Turn 12 End Peskovatka
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Fri May 22, 2009 7:29 pm

Sorry folks, off on hols until 29th May, so sadly no more action for a while (although in my case it could also be called a 'blessed relief' :wink: :D )
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Mon May 25, 2009 9:47 pm

That Nizhna Chirskaya is not a very popular place to fight at apparently. It's like a ghost town in both games. I hope a good fight gets cooking around Kalatsch when Noakesy finishes resting his war weary brain over the holiday.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Talos » Wed May 27, 2009 2:44 am

SS Hauptsturmfuhrer wrote:That Nizhna Chirskaya is not a very popular place to fight at apparently. It's like a ghost town in both games. I hope a good fight gets cooking around Kalatsch when Noakesy finishes resting his war weary brain over the holiday.

That will change in at least one game. But in general its hard place for Soviet forces to make an impact because of the poor terrain.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Talos » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:14 am

German Turn 13
4th Pz Armee

I will again start with the Prajov, Nizhna Kalinski and Nizhna Chirskaya sectors, all remains quite in the first two, but new Soviet forces are spotted out on the steppe heading towards the front at Nizhna Chirskaya. This will probable mean a re-deployment of some troops if possible from further north (the current thinking is one or both of the damaged cavalry KG's).
Turn 13 End Prajov, Nizhna Kalinski and Nizhna Chirskaya

The 116th continues to screen the 15th GRD and is waiting on support from Wiking before any offensive action is taken here.
Turn 13 End 116th

As expected west of Kalatsch Noakesy has launched one minor attack and a major attack trying to split the German forces, badly damaging two KG's of cavalry in the process, but luckily not much else. The minor attack is dealt with and Soviet troops are forced to retreat with casualties after an over run attack. The hex is then reoccupied by elements of the 11th Pz Division to try and stop any further attempted break through here, but no entrenchment is possible due to it being an enemy hex so this is a bit of a gamble as it may get hit by an over run attack. Further along the the 1st Guards Mech Corps plus supporting units have tried to drive a wedge between the Pz Divisions and the supporting infantry divisions that have just arrived as their was a small gap in the line. After some debate i decide to launch a counter attack to close the gap, this is spear headed by elements of the 336th with an over run attack, though no casualties are caused Soviet forces are forced to retreat and the gap is temporarily closed, but not in any great strength at he moment and it is still a weakness that Noakesy may exploit in his next turn.
Turn 13 End Kalatsch

6th Armee
At Kalatsch proper I am again forced to shorten the defensive perimeter as Noakesy's forces are pressing hard to try and find a way through and i lose the fusilier regiment of the 100th Jager. The perimeter now stretches in an arc about Kalatsch with both flanks anchored on the Don and a continuous line of troops.

At Marinowka nothing much happens and troops entrench where possible, though i have dispatched an engineer unit to guard Dmitryiovka from any sudden raids by recon troops, again there is no screen shot for the end of this turn.

At Peskovatka the remaining elements of the 32nd Cavalry Division now start to surround the 76th division in a slow and methodical process, i presume these forces will be joined by the 16th Tank Corps.

Finally the kills so far in this game.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:55 pm

That fight around Kalatsch is gonna be a good one. Quite an unusual defensive 'ring'. The shape is like a turnip.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Talos » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:10 pm

German Turn 14
4th Pz Armee

I will again start with the Prajov, Nizhna Kalinski and Nizhna Chirskaya sectors, all remains quite in the first two, but the Soviet 169th Rifle Division is now spotted across the river at Nizhna Chirskaya. The two damaged cavalry KG's from the battle further north are repositioned to hold the river line against this new threat, one at the river line guarding the bridge with the security BN as a temporary measure while the Cavalry KG recovers strength, the second unit is held in reserve near Nizhna Chirskaya.
Turn 14 End Nizhna Chirskaya

Further north the 116th Mot and Wiking keep the 15th GRD under scrutiny, it may be possible over the next couple of turns to attack this unit if Noakesy does not concentrate it and the forces are not needed further north.
Turn 14 End 116th

West of the main defensive line Surovikino remains secured and German troops push forward slightly.
Turn 14 End Surovikino

West of Kalatsch the the Panzer and Infantry Divisions link up and form a solid line with one counter attack, but mostly forces just dig in, with some reserves positioned behind the main line in case of emergencies. Also note the way i have been placing minefields in a chequered board fashion, as if i have to retreat the line or individual units it will help in the defence and cut out tactical shifts from one or two sides.
Turn 14 End Kalatsch West

In the Kalatsch battle i have been forced to concede more ground and have lost another fusilier BN. My main concern now is that with all these heavy attacks coming in against the defenders I have may to cycle in another fresh division from the west as most units are now out of timed replacements, though defending in the village and town will help.
Turn 14 End Kalatsch

6th Armee
In the Marinowka sector nothing much happens apart from some repositioning of units and waiting for Noakesy's next move, the majority of his the forces are still tied up at Kalatsch.
Turn 14 End Marinowka

At Peskovatka Noakesy continues his methodical and slow encirclement of the 76th Division, but with out and reinforcements to the 32nd Cavalry Division this position will remain secure as the 16th Tank Corps has been spotted at the Kalatsch sector.
Turn 14 End Peskovatka

Further west at Vertjatschi all is quite.
Turn 14 End Vertjatschi

Turn 14 New Kills Kalatsch
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Talos » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:22 pm

German Turn 15
A quick note about turn 15 as bad weather has hit which will cause problems for all forces and slow movement to a crawl.
4th Pz Armee
The Prajov and Nizhna Kalinovski sectors remain quite, though the 17th Pz Div can be seen moving towards the front at Kalatsch. This unit will provide flank security and recon capability to the west end of the defensive line and possibly help in a counter attack to the rear if Noakey leaves some support forces without any defenders.
Turn 15 End Prajov
Turn 15 End Nizhna Kalinovski

Further south along the Nizhna Chirskaya front the Cavlary KG's entrench while the reserve KG is used to regain some lost territory.
Turn 15 End Nizhna Chirskaya

To the north as Noakesy has not moved the 15th GRD in any way and there is no need for the 116th or Wiking further north at Kalatsch i launch an attack though the it will only come to fruition next turn or the turn after. I use Wiking and elements of the 116th to get behind the 15th GRD and launch an attack causing a step loss, and with the bad weather they should not be able to retreat so leaving them open to attack in the good weather.
Turn 15 End 15th GRD

Along the defensive line west of Kalatsch Noakesy launches one major attack attempting to breach the German defences. The Soviet attack causes the German defenders to retreat, but not with any major casualties i stabilise the line and place new forces to stop any further exploitation. In addition I have also moved all the arty into a central position to help the defenders here, in Kalatsch proper and to help in the attack further south by Wiking.
Turn 15 End Kalatsch West

In Kalatsch I am again forced to give up some more ground, but only the odd hex and i now have a sufficient force density for this turn to stop any major penetrations by Soviet forces. But a number of the units are now getting low in terms of steps and I will have to seriously consider moving some fresh forces in next turn to replace some of the current troops.
Turn 15 End Kalatsch

6th Armee
At Peskovatka the 32nd Cavalry Division finally encircles the 76th Division but does not launch any attack, at Vertjatschi all remains quite.
Turn 15 End Peskovatka

At Marinowka Noakesy is trying to slip some forces around the German flank to the North (4th Mech Corps) and move through the gaps in the south defensive line. The priority will be to keep the southern defensive line intact and maybe try and pick off some of the forces to the north if Noakesy allows, but generally I am quite happy to sit around and do nothing as their not really a major threat at the moment because of all the forces at the Kalatch sector. Later i expect the 7th Tank Corps to show up here which will be more of a problem to hold the river line and this where i may to move to a hedgehog defence about the towns and villages near the end of the game to keep the victory locations.
Turn 15 End Marinowka
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Italy Play By Email (PBEM)