AAR Rommel Master of Battle German

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Battles in Italy?

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Abwehr » Thu May 07, 2009 5:29 am

I'm always surprised at how people play this scenario like it's a true meeting engagement, not like it is part of an encirclement.

Although I've only played the BiI version against the AI, I usually advance on the sides of the map at first and close in afterwards. With 22 turns, there's usually enough time.

Prajov is a fairly ideal target, regardless of the German reinforcements: there are rivers to the west, east and south, so you can easily halt any German counterattacks whilst you bring more troops in. Likewise, the Germans can try to lock you in, but you'll be heading east mostly, so you can travel across the Steppe. You'll cut off one of the roads to the central part of the map. If you can get a division across the north-south river and have them entrench next to or on top of the road there, you'll cut off that one.

An advance across the minor river in the east, towards the VH, with most of your troops in the south is likely to yield a good result, and a moderate advance from the north will cut the last road to the central part of the map, leaving the Germans defending the central objectives struggling for supplies.

In doing so, the Soviet supply situation isn't all that much worse than it normally is if you go straight to the center: there's a road going to Prajov, and you can keep the supply unit south of the river in the east for a few turns.

You can advance some minor forces towards the central part of the map so the Germans get the impression that troops are coming their way. With the way the recon works, a Rifle Division can be just as scary from a distance as a mechanized corps, as long as the Germans can't see it's a Rifle Division.

With all the places you can attack the Germans at, I'm surprised many games seem to tend to focus over a brawl in the center, which means the Soviet troops in the southern part of the map are likely to get stuck on their side of the river without really getting anywhere, and the attack from the north would have trouble crossing the river in their area too.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Sun May 10, 2009 2:54 am

Please continue the story. :)
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Talos » Sun May 10, 2009 2:56 am

Sorry for the delay, both of us got side tracked by football this week supporting our respective teams in the champions league and now only starting the turns again.

German Turn 6
4th Pz Armee

Soviet attacks have forced a PZG regiment of the 11th Pz Div to retreat, but otherwise no other major attacks happen in this sector. What did happen was the repositioning of Soviet units and a deep penetration raid by a recon unit. Luckily the 22nd Pz Div had recombined into mutual supporting range and with elements of the 23rd Pz Div destroy the probe. Other units are brought up to secure the defensive line, and the Germans now have force superiority in this region, which may allow for a local counter attack next turn against a Soviet Tank Corps, as the 26th Tank Corps has been spotted further north.
4th Pz Armee Kalatsch Sector

In the Nizhna Kalinovski sector, nothing much happens at all apart from supporting units move into position.
4th Pz Armee Nizhna Kalinovski Sector

In the Prajov sector support units are used to push out the German line and head east to support the main area of operations near Kalatsch.
4th Pz Armee Prajov Sector

In the Nizhna Chirskaya sector the 22nd Pz Div recon is replaced by a KG of cavalry, otherwise all remains quiet in this sector of the front.
4th Pz Armee Nizhna Chirskaya Sector

The above three quiet sectors (with most of the Soviet forces accounted for) means they can be garrisoned with minimal forces and the majority sent to help out in the Kalatsch sector. This is a downside of not committing any forces to these sectors from a Soviet perspective, it allows the German forces to combine in the critical area of operations, which will seriously slow up the Soviet advance.

6th Armee

The Sowetski sector, which i had some concerns about last turn, proves to be unfounded in one respect but in another because I overlooked something else last turn, which means i was lucky to get away with what could have potentially proved to be a disaster. The 24th Pz Div manages to disengage and Sowetski is abandoned to Noakesy's Soviet hordes, a new defensive line is formed with the 100 Jager and the 376th Divisions. To the west of the main action a Soviet recon unit charges into Kalatsch Station next to the German supply dump. This is something i missed in my last turns defensive dispositions and could have proved to be a disaster, luckily i can get enough combat units into the vicinity to destroy the recon unit with over run attacks. If this had happened a turn later the supply dump would have not be able to rebuilt, because of the bad weather and being out of the German supply net, a disaster is averted by luck rather than any great skill on my part.
6th Armee Sowestki Sector

In the Golubinskaya sector, the 44th Division continues to hold the line, but will be attacked in the near future by elements of the Soviet 26th Tank Corps, further south the 16th Pz Div slides south to hold the river line. I expect Noakesy to use his final turn 6 bombing run here to try and force my troops to leave the village and so activate the 1st Guards Mech Corps.
6th Armee Golubinskaya Sector

In the Peskovatka sector two regiments of the 384th Div are sent south to help out in the defence of Kalatsch, the remaining Regiment will be sent to join its colleagues once the 76th Div arrives to replace it in its defensive duties.
6th Armee Vertjatschi Sector
6th Armee Peskovatka Sector

Osinovska sector, the fusilier Bn of the 384th is surrounded by elements of a Guards Cav Div, though not attack occurs. This has proved to be a useful diversion, as its forced a Soviet formation to move way from the main area of operations just before the bad weather arrives.
6th Armee Osinovska Sector

In the Marinowka sector troops are positioned to stop the Soviet penetrations where possible and further troops join the defensive line. Its now unlikely that i will be able to disengage the 29th Mot div before it gets pinned by Soviet troops.
6th Armee Marinowka Sector

Overall i happy with the position of the German forces and am in pretty good shape.

Turn 6 Kills
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sun May 10, 2009 3:10 am

Keep in mind that as long as the surrounded Fusilier unit is alive, you don't get a divisional integrity bonus. A few cavalry units detached to encircle the unit could be worth making the other regiments in the division weaker.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Sun May 10, 2009 12:03 pm

I looks like Golubinskaya will soon become a place of glory for the brave Germans trying to hold the line there. The place name sure is fitting for something dreadful to occur. If I told my mother I was being assigned to defend a place called 'Golubinskaya', I think she'd experiencing some doom.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Noakesy » Sun May 10, 2009 8:28 pm

Abwehr wrote:Keep in mind that as long as the surrounded Fusilier unit is alive, you don't get a divisional integrity bonus. A few cavalry units detached to encircle the unit could be worth making the other regiments in the division weaker.

I was going to do this (and hence didn't attack immediately), but then thought it would take the cavalry out of the offensive for too long and decided against it.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Mon May 11, 2009 5:52 am

Noakesy wrote:
Abwehr wrote:Keep in mind that as long as the surrounded Fusilier unit is alive, you don't get a divisional integrity bonus. A few cavalry units detached to encircle the unit could be worth making the other regiments in the division weaker.

I was going to do this (and hence didn't attack immediately), but then thought it would take the cavalry out of the offensive for too long and decided against it.

Will make a quick comment about this before posting the next turn, and its maybe its something i should of put in the commentary buts its only come to light because of the comments above

Generally when playing the DB series generally you should adhere to certain basic philosiphies. One of which is keeping all units of the same division in their divisional integrity radius, unless their is a very good reason not to. In this particular case there was no reason i had to do this and split the units of the 384th up. But I chose to do this for the following reasons:

1) It forced my opponent to react to me (allowing your opponent the initiative all the time is generally a bad idea in any war game).
2) It forced Noakesy to make a choice on if i could keep the town and the VP's it would generate for me.
3) If the decision was retake it is made, when and what forces should be dispatched to do so?
4) The timing was also an important consideration in doing this as just before the bad weather meant that any forces that were dispatched immediately to retake the town or screen it would be away from the main theatre of operations for a number of turns.
5) Finally it could have been left for a few turns and the 16th Tank Corps could have been dispatched this way when they arrive in a few turns time.
6) Finally if left all game it would generate a substantial amount of VP's and for five turns (16th Tank Corps) there would be a net swing of 50 VP's in my favour, which is not insubstantial in this game.

All in all i would say Noakesy made the right decision in taking the town back as soon as possible. The downside does not make a great benefit of the other units being of of divisional integrity for the next few turns because of the bad weather. Later on it maybe more of a benefit, but then a lot more would also be lost.

Now on to turn 7.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Talos » Mon May 11, 2009 5:56 am

German Turn 7
4th Pz Armee

Along the Kalatsch west front the 4th Pz Armee is now in some strength with 3½ Pz Divisions, other non divisional units and a mass of arty based in and around Kalatsch proper. As this this is the last good weather turn and a number of Noaksey's forces are open to overruns attacks i decide to launch a number of spoiling attacks to damage the opposing Tank Corps where possible. In all 3 such attacks are launched with strong arty support forcing retreats and more importantly damaging several tank brigades and a GR reg. After the attack the majority of forces go back into defensive dispositions rather than trying to destroy the opposing damaged forces which would have been possible in a couple of cases (an important point, don't over stretch your self as the Germans, its to easy to get carried away with attacks and leave yourself open to counter attacks, force preservation is the key at the moment).
Turn 7 End West Kalatsch

Elsewhere in the 4th Pz Armee area of operations all is quite for the moment as forces are gradually re-distributed as more reinforcements arrive.
Turn 7 End Nizhna Chirskaya
Turn 7 End Prajov

6th Armee
Now the bad news for the turn. As expected Noakesy launches a full scale attack on Golubinskaya with Guards Rifle Divisions and the 26th Tank Corps supported by the Carpet Bombing attack forcing the regiment of the 44th Division to retreat, Golubinskaya is then occupied by elements of the 26th Tank Corps. As there is no way I can recapture the village units settle into new defensive dispositions on its outskirts, though one regiment of the 44th Divisions is stuck in situ due to a lack of supply and is likely to be left behind at the next retreat. The 44th division is joined by two regiments of the 384th as defending Kalatsch is more important than the villages to the north. The loss of Golubinskaya means that the 1st Guards Mech Corps has been released to Noakesy's command though the bad weather should slow downs its appearance at at any point along the front.
Turn 7 End Golubinskaya

Further north at Osinovska the 5th Guards Cav Division attack the fusilier Bn of the 384th But it holds out for another turn.
Turn 7 End Osinovska

West at Peskovatka the last regiment of the 384th remains in situ in the village waiting for the 76th division to arrive.
Turn 7 End Positions Pestovatka and Vertjatsch

At Marinowka i try to free up elements of the 29th Mot Div and send them west towards Kalatsch, which is a bit of a gamble as some of these units might get cut off by Noakesys forces, otherwise units here wait for the arrival of more German reinforcements.
Turn 7 End Positions Marinowka

Finally Kalatsch south where a defensive line has been put in place to stop the Soviet offensive, though one overrun attack is carried out before units get into their defensive dispositions.
Turn 7 End Kalatsch South
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Talos » Wed May 13, 2009 7:39 am

German Turn 8
With the arrival of bad weather its mostly a case of digging in for the German forces, as they are more affected by the bad weather than their Soviet opponents, as overrun attacks
are unlikely to be possible, while Soviet forces can launch low odds attacks to cause casualties as they have forces/reserves to do this.

4th Pz Armee
I will start with the Prajov, Nizhna Kalinski and Nizhna Chirskaya sectors, as all remain quite. The only things of real note are forces moving through these sectors to the main battle area west of Kalatsch, the release of the Alert 336th Division in the south and to the south of the man battle Soviet forces trying to sneak across the river.
Turn 8 End Nizhna Chirskaya
Turn 8 End Nizhna Kalinski
Turn 8 End Prajov

The main battle west of Kalatsch quietens down with the arrival of the bad weather. I launch one attack to keep the Soviet forces honest and then pull back into defensive dispositions. To keep an eye on the the Soviet forces further south i dispatch a Cavalry KG and an engineer unit into blocking positions, but will not expect to do a great deal here offensively until the 336th and 116th Mot arrive.
Turn 8 End Kalatsch West

As an added note i now have most of my artillery within range of the center of the map including the the two nebelewfer units which gives me a lot of tactical flexibility both on the offence and defence.

6th Armee
At Osinovska the 5th Guards Cavalry Division launches another attack and the valiant fusilier Bn of the 384th finally succumbs.

The 76th Division starts arriving in Peskatovaka and replaces the remaining regiment of the 384th, which will either head to Vertjatschi or as another lone unit to head towards Osinovska if Noakesys troop dispositions allow.
Turn 8 End Peskatovaka

Further South as expected at Golubinskaya i have to leave a regiment of the 44th Division behind as German forces retreat to new defensive dispositions on the outskirts of Kalinski and the woods to the east.
Turn 8 End Golubinskaya

East and south of Kalatsch a new German defensive line is in place with the recon of the 29th Mot, unfortunately the PZG regiment that followed along is likely to be surrounded and retrospect this was probable a bad decision on my part to try and move this division towards Kalatsch. The most unusual thing about this turn is the use of an air interdiction which i use on the roads east of Kalatsch, as its very unusual for one to appear in bad weather for German forces.
Turn 8 End Kalatsch South

Finally the forces about the Marinowka front dig in for most part to stop further Soviet penetrations of the German line and one attack is launched against the exposed armoured brigade of the 4th Mech Corps, which is probable out of supply, with the bad weather it maybe possible to attack this and other Soviet units to get them out of supply and so make them easier to destroy.
Turn 8 End Marinowka

Finally the kills so far
Turn 8 Kills
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Wed May 13, 2009 5:00 pm

At Osinovska the 5th Guards Cavalry Division launches another attack and the valiant fusilier Bn of the 384th finally succumbs

Valiant??? Valiant??? Blinking nuisance is more what I would call it. I too was also surprised (not necessarily pleasantly) when the blinking luftwaffe turned out for a sortie in the blinding snow, very disappointing :roll: :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Wed May 13, 2009 11:09 pm

Nice to see the Germans holding out okay so far, especially in Nizhna Chirskaya where you got a whole division and security parked off while Noakesy only used a pillbox to defend the city. And there sure is a ton of arty in Kalatsch. It'll be interesting to see if the Soviets can get through the gaps and do some damage.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Thu May 14, 2009 4:08 am

Talos: regarding the Fusiliere unit, I was thinking more along the line of:

-Noakesy kicks the unit out of the VH.
-Noakesy places a spare non-combat unit in the hex, say, 1st Anti-tank.
-The Fusiliere unit is out of supply, won't be going anywhere soon and can't retake the VH.
-Your division still doesn't get an integrity bonus, but Noakesy doesn't need combat units around your Fusiliere.
-Noakesy later kills the unit with some follow-up forces.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Thu May 14, 2009 4:59 am

German Turn 9
The bad weather continues, hampering movement and combat

4th Pz Armee
I will again start with the Prajov, Nizhna Kalinski and Nizhna Chirskaya sectors, as all remains quite. The only things of real note are forces moving through these sectors to the main battle area west of Kalatsch and the 336th Division moving towards the Soviet river crossing which is currently constrained by a Cavalry KG and an engineer Bn.
Turn 9 End Prajov
Turn 9 End Nizhna Chirskaya

Along the Kalatsch West front one Soviet attack forces some the Germans to give up some ground, but nothing significant. The Soviet forces slide west trying to get around the German line, but i just reposition the German defensive line west also. I also have some units sitting behind the main line in reserve which is a rarity for the German forces and don't really expect this to last as the Soviet forces continue to probe west.
Turn 9 End Kalatsch West

6th Armee
This is mostly a turn of respite for the 6th Army as Noakesy concentrates on surrounded units, which is probable a mistake, it would probable have been better to hit the main German lines again where possible as any surrounded unit can be taken out relatively easily at leisure.

Along the Kamenski front German units form a new defensive line with units being repositioned to their most advantageous placing possible.
Turn 9 End Kamenski

East and south of Kalatsch there is one main attack which forces me to give up a hex, but again nothing major, and because Noakesy did not push forward after into the vacated hex it remains in my control with a minefield. The defensive line is tightened up and several units are put into reserve for the moment, again i do not expect this to last but its useful to do if you can especially in bad weather turns as they are not constrained by enemy zoc's. To the east the lone regiment of the 29th Mot is surrounded and will die a heroic death fighting the Soviet hordes.
Turn 9 End Kalatsch South

Further north at Peskatovaka nothing much happens as more units of the 76th Division arrive at the front.
Turn 9 End Peskatovaka

Marinowka front, another attack is launched on the armoured Brigade of the 4th Mech Corps and the 3Mot is sent towards Karpovka.
Unfortunately no screen shot as I seemed to have missed it for this turn.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Thu May 14, 2009 5:00 am

Abwehr wrote:Talos: regarding the Fusiliere unit, I was thinking more along the line of:

-The Fusiliere unit is out of supply, won't be going anywhere soon and can't retake the VH.
-Your division still doesn't get an integrity bonus, but Noakesy doesn't need combat units around your Fusiliere.

...at the risk of getting various people writing in and saying "that's the first time I've heard that", I would say that I don't tend to go for gamey tactics. This is of course the only reason I keep getting thrashed :wink: :lol:
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Thu May 14, 2009 5:06 am

Abwehr wrote:Talos: regarding the Fusiliere unit, I was thinking more along the line of:

Not a bad idea the problem is getting the fusilier Bn to retreat with out killing it, not an easy thing to do, though it does depend on the force composition. It also presumes you have a non combat unit on its way to hold the Town, by the time this happened the bad weather would have hit so it would take time to get there. Should add its the first time i have done this and as I originally noted it was a useful diversion but no more than that.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Italy Play By Email (PBEM)