Its cold out there..

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Battles in Italy?

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:59 am

or just f this aar also..
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Abwehr » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:54 am

The problem isn't the Katyusha's.

None of the Soviet rocket artillery regiments give a +3 shift bonus. In fact, many of them only give +1, and all of them have a very small range compared to non-rocket artillery.

The +3 shift bonus comes from regular artillery units, who seem to have massed lots of artillery or the like. The Soviets have 6 of them.

2 are motorised mortar units with a range of only 3 hexes. Two are motorised regular artillery regiments with a range of 9 hexes. 2 are horsedrawn, one with a range of 6 and one with a range of 8 hexes.

The Soviets have about 63 artillery units (I did a quick count, room for error is about 2 units). The Germans about 66 (see previous).

All German artillery is equal or superior to their Soviet counterparts. German motorised Harko's (noted as arko's, but judging by their icon they're harko's) have a range of 12. Regular arko+ units have a range of 10. Horsedrawn Arko units a range of 9 mostly. The SS also has several longer range self-propelled artillery units.

Taking all of the above into consideration, the Germans have the better artillery park. The problem is that most of it is not at the frontline at the start, whilst the Soviets have concentrated their artillery units near the attack sectors.

As to railroad transport: after checking it, the problem is almost too simple to solve.

The problem isn't that there are no proper railroad hexes, the problem is that the Soviets and Germans have a railroad movement rate of 0 in their country data. That's all. Input any number above zero and it works like a charm.

As to the timed replacement: there are several ways to fix the current situation.

1: Give the units timed replacements, without reducing their reserve steps.

Gamey 2: Remove steps from the units reserve to make the unit full strength at the start of the game, if possible with its steps.

3: Give the units timed replacement, reducing their reserve steps to fill in the gaps.

Which one has your preference?
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:58 am

xx
Last edited by Guest on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby jjdenver » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:51 am

Abwehr wrote:I'll see what I can do with the scenario to make it more stable against the AI and/or more stable in general and will leave you to your AAR as this is not the place to discuss the specific scenario, as you say.

Hey I enjoyed the AAR although the poster has a lot of anger ~:(

Abwehr - any chance you'd post a version of the scenario that's "fixed" for PBEM and AI play?

Thx
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:15 am

I'm still waiting on what SSG has to say about the timed step problem, but they're not replying to my post.

As long as that problem isn't fixed, I can't finish a functional build of the scenario.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Haplo_Patryn » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:33 am

Nice AAR, enjoying it a lot.

Abwehr, any news from SSG? Any solution about timed step problem? :(
Haplo_Patryn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:49 am

Not yet, and I'm actually quite puzzled because I didn't do anything all that special.

I just gave timed steps to units that start with KIA's, so they could refit using those timed steps, but somehow it doesn't work as intended and the unit refits for free and ends up with all timed steps I gave it.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Haplo_Patryn » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:05 am

It sounds weird. We can only wait to SSG give you and answer but they're on vacation, or what? :cry:

Have you send them a private message or an email? :?:
Last edited by Haplo_Patryn on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haplo_Patryn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:02 am

Although there's little activity on the forums usually, SSG does seem to miss posts adressed to them from time to time. I doubt they're on vacation, as it's winter in Australia now.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Treale » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:15 am

Haplo_Patryn wrote:Nice AAR, enjoying it a lot.

Abwehr, any news from SSG? Any solution about timed step problem? :(

Is SSG still in business? They have pretty much disapeared !!!!
Treale
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Roger Keating » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:09 am

Gregor, who answers most of the posts on this forum, is currently on an extended break in Europe but he will be back soon.

I do read all these posts and post occasionally where I think it will help. I can certainly answer any questions on the programming aspects of the game but have to take a back seat when OOB's and scenario design questions appear.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Abwehr » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:22 pm

That explains why Gregor hasn't posted in a while.

The issue I'm having is a technical matter it seems, I guess it should cover the programming side as it's about timed steps. There's a topic in the Battles in Italy Public Discussion forum, and I'd appreciate it if you could see if you understand what the problem is about and possibly give a solution to the problem, Roger, as it's currently giving me more than a few problems with my scenario edits (and it should be a problem for new scenarios too).
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Battles in Italy Play By Email (PBEM)