Fall Weiss Tournament.

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Battles in Italy?

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Kingpin » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:19 am

I just found out that the German units can cross the Russian border and then sneak south completely out of sight.

Was this intended? If so, what was the rationale behind the decision?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby pete AU » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:18 am

Kingpin wrote:I just found out that the German units can cross the Russian border and then sneak south completely out of sight.

I never tried to push the germans that way(you don't really need to).

Do you think doing this has a major effect on the game? Is it actually better to have the Germans over there?

Since they were allies - could the Germans have moved this way durng fass weiss?

Also - noaksey - i got your email, will stary the new games with you over the weekend

cheers all.
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Kingpin » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:05 am

pete AU wrote:
Kingpin wrote:I just found out that the German units can cross the Russian border and then sneak south completely out of sight.

I never tried to push the germans that way(you don't really need to).

Do you think doing this has a major effect on the game? Is it actually better to have the Germans over there?

Since they were allies - could the Germans have moved this way durng fass weiss?

Also - noaksey - i got your email, will stary the new games with you over the weekend

cheers all.

I don't think it will have a major effect but it could be the deciding factor in a close game. It would be fairly easy to sneak a division south and pop up on the Poles flank. Supplies would be an issue though.

"Is it actually better to have the Germans over there?" Do you mean from the Polish perspective? It probably wouldn't be that difficult to bog down any German forces that try it but I was caught off guard when my opponent sent a lone 1 step unit across the border to capture Pinsk on turn 9. It is now surrounded and will be dispatched on turn 10. The scores aren't close enough for the VP's to matter and once the unit is killed the VP's for this move will likely be equal.

From a historical perspective I doubt very strongly that the Russians would have allowed the Germans passage through their territory. They were "allies" at this point but they remained highly suspicious of each other.

So, its probably not a big deal that this route is available I was just curious if you intended it to be.
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:15 pm

pete AU wrote:Also - noaksey - i got your email, will stary the new games with you over the weekend

:shock: but the World Cup starts this weekend, even for you socceroos I reckon :wink: :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:48 am

Well my games against Kingpin are just about to draw to a close, with just the final Allied turn for Kingpin to be played.

A couple of realy good games and realy close which I have enjoyed emensley :D .

Though I managed to leave the Polish government hanging in the wind after a brief expolation behind enemy lines after getting side tracked by my better half mid way through and turn and promptly forgot them. :oops:

Both games will end a draw with not much in it, but Kingpin's superior skill and/or probable a better strategy gives him the day in both games.

Good luck for the final.

Once again Pete a very good scenario which is very well balanced. :)
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Kingpin » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:06 am

Talos wrote:Well my games against Kingpin are just about to draw to a close, with just the final Allied turn for Kingpin to be played.

A couple of realy good games and realy close which I have enjoyed emensley :D .

Though I managed to leave the Polish government hanging in the wind after a brief expolation behind enemy lines after getting side tracked by my better half mid way through and turn and promptly forgot them. :oops:

Both games will end a draw with not much in it, but Kingpin's superior skill and/or probable a better strategy gives him the day in both games.

Good luck for the final.

Once again Pete a very good scenario which is very well balanced. :)

A couple close games. I was able to hang on for a points advantage as the Allies and Axis. Combined pts were 596.

I was very suprised to see the Polish government lounging in my backfield and I was happy to accomdate them with a first class ticket to Berlin.

Luckily the game didn't come down to that unit alone.

This game is very balanced. I can't really see one player running away with it. The scenario isn't really set up to allow that.

It is very enjoyable and I love the element that mirror games add.
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby pete AU » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:29 am

I think my games against noaksey will be close.

As the Germans he is doing a better job than I in the opening stages. However, I may have suprised him with an early Polish counter attack, In my game as the Poles.
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Kingpin » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:55 am

pete AU wrote:I think my games against noaksey will be close.

As the Germans he is doing a better job than I in the opening stages. However, I may have suprised him with an early Polish counter attack, In my game as the Poles.

How are these games going?
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby pete AU » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:05 am

a break in the action while noaksey is on holidays.

However, looks to be a close set of games - noaksey slightly ahead.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Kingpin » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:29 am

Interesting. Unexpected.

What turn?
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby pete AU » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:54 pm

Turn 10 is

Unfortunateley I decided I'd be rather agressive as the poles in the north and its backfired.

I started off playing 'casual' as it seemed unfair on noaksey that i designed the scenario - however, after a few turns noaksey showed what a class act he is and now i'm having to give the old grey matter a work out to catch up - no more mr nice guy.

Noaksey is playing both sides as I intended when i designed the scenario and its paying off. I'm playing too many smartass moves and I'm regretting it.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:35 pm

pete AU wrote:...I started off playing 'casual' as it seemed unfair on noaksey that i designed the scenario...

...I'm playing too many smartass moves and I'm regretting it.

I find all too often that being a scenario's designer has it's painful drawbacks when the unexpected happens :oops:

Of course it always helps if you put in a special feature to defeat Noaskey :wink: ...highly recommended technique since the best post by any member on the forum :twisted:
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Noakesy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:45 pm

Back from hols and will hopefully get these turns back tonight Pete - don't worry, there's still a good opportunity for me to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory :wink: :roll:
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:59 am

Hi all

I have become a little snowed under with personal commitments and will have to resign my games against noaksey. He was going to win - played an excellent game.

So the final is kingpin vs noaksey - may the best german win.

I'll jump in to observe occasionally

Remember - rob promised medals for 1st and second - though you may need to chase this up with JSS.

catch you all later on.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:03 pm

Sorry to hear that Pete, although I was up in both games I don't think that was definitely going to be the final result. Good luck with whatever it is you are moving on to.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Italy Play By Email (PBEM)