Fall Weiss Tournament.

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Battles in Italy?

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Talos » Fri May 12, 2006 3:49 am

Well my games against Arckon have just finished, very instructive and enjoyable as well in a very balanced scenario, won both games with a total point score for both of 4976.

Looking forward to the next round. 8)
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby pete AU » Fri May 12, 2006 7:20 pm

Impressive to win BOTH games - what was your polish strategy, or is that a secret?
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Fri May 12, 2006 10:50 pm

Impressive to win BOTH games - what was your polish strategy, or is that a secret?

Hmm, I think that will have to remain a secret for the moment :twisted: , though it did change part way through the scenario (i got caught on some indecision for a couple of turns before I implmented it fully and I am still unsure if it is an actual viable strategy).

Also I think I was bit lucky to be allowed to implement it as I did though the following may be enlightening or maybe disinformation :wink: (Part of East Prussia did end up under Polish Control when the game finished).
"There is only one decisive victory: the last." (Karl von Clausewitz)
3: OTP Axis v JSS
4: Open

ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Kingpin » Sat May 13, 2006 9:29 am

Playing against Tntom.

Both of our games are entering turn 9. I am really enjoying this scenario. These are my first 2 games so its been a learning experience.

I am at the gates of Warsaw with one carpet bomb left. Outside shot at capturing the most Westernly hex on turn 9.

My opponent is 1 hex removed from Warsaw and will not be able to capture it on turn 9.

If I had to compare forces at this point, I would say my Allies are more intact than Tntom's. I've killed 50 plus units as the Germans and have lost in the high 30's/low 40's as the Allies.

In my game as the Axis I have a 1500 point lead. As the Allies I am down 900. Currently a net 600 point lead approximately.

Overall I am feeling reasonably comfortable with each game.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby pete AU » Sat May 13, 2006 10:06 am

Its interesting to note - the Polish actually did have the troops to make some major counter attacks - indeed, their high command thought they had enuf troops to get to Berlin.

Of course, german tactics put paid to that as did polish sit and hold doctrine. Its interesting to see what can be achieved if you don't just sit their.

I'm sure all the winners going to the next round will be wary of the germans weak points.
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Kingpin » Sat May 13, 2006 11:04 am

pete AU wrote:Its interesting to note - the Polish actually did have the troops to make some major counter attacks - indeed, their high command thought they had enuf troops to get to Berlin.

Of course, german tactics put paid to that as did polish sit and hold doctrine. Its interesting to see what can be achieved if you don't just sit their.

I'm sure all the winners going to the next round will be wary of the germans weak points.

I've killed 11 Axis units but mostly minor 1 or 2 steppers.

I could have killed a 4 step unit earlier but it would have put too many units out of place and decided to attack it only once removing 3 steps.

The north is a problem area for the Germans.

There have been many other attack opp's but unless the German player gets careless I can't see a successful counterattack that gains steam. Taking out a few 4 steppers over the course of the game while delaying the advance seems more realistic.
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby pete AU » Sat May 13, 2006 11:10 pm

Progress report

Pete AU -vs - Howard7x --->Pete AU wins
Noaksey-vs-jhdeerslayer --->in progress
Kingpin-vs-tntom --->in progress
Talos-vs-Arakon --->Talos wins

I enjoyed my games against howard - admittedly I was odds on to win having designed the scenario - having said that - both games did not go the way I thought when i playtested against myself - so I was thinking things thru on the go.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Howard7x » Sun May 14, 2006 1:38 am

Yes, was a good game Pete. I was a little dissapointed to draw you in the tournament as i knew i was gonna take a beating but having watched your turns play through as i played the game i must say i learned alot.

Not having played the map before put me on the backfoot almost instantly as the large movement areas can catch an unsuspecting player off guard real quick... as i found out :lol:

It would be rather obvious for Pete to win this tournament but if someone has been playing the FW battle alot then they might give him a run for his money :)

Good luck chaps!
Never, ever.... ever again!

Image ImageImageImageImage
Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Sun May 14, 2006 2:53 am

Deerslayer and I are up to around turns 11/12. I'm about 2,000 up as axis, stuck at the gates of Warsaw (captured one hex but then ran out of carpet bombs, so really struggling to get the second hex - I wish all the arty could take out strongpoints with bombardment).

Deerslayer is 350pts up as axis against my Poles, but I still hold both hexes of warsaw (at the moment). It's tough as Poles, although they are pretty good units.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Kingpin » Thu May 18, 2006 4:00 am

Looks like I'll be playing Talos in Round 2 as Tntom conceeded today.
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby pete AU » Thu May 18, 2006 9:53 am

Progress report

Pete AU -vs - Howard7x --->Pete AU wins
Noaksey-vs-jhdeerslayer --->in progress
Kingpin-vs-tntom --->Kingpin wins
Talos-vs-Arakon --->Talos wins

Round 2 will be

Pete AU vs - Noaksey or jhdeerslayer
Kingpin vs Talos

Kingpin and Talos, you can start your games now, your gamestart file names are

Talos -- FWR2a
Kingpin-- FWR2b

well done and good luck.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Thu May 18, 2006 5:11 pm

Sounds good, Deerslayer and I have about 2-3 turns left to play, but I'm going "awol" this weekend and I think Deerslayer is away on business, so won't be complete until early next week. Game situation is pretty much as previously stated, if a couple of turns further on.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Fri May 19, 2006 12:32 am

Hi Pete

I have just asked Kingpin if he minds holding off on the start of our games until next week as I have just got out of hospital and am recovering from a knee op and still feeling a little bit drowsy at the moment.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Howard7x » Fri May 19, 2006 12:39 am

Thats no excuse!!! I play this game drowsy all the time!!!!! But thats cos im just bad at it :lol:
Never, ever.... ever again!

Image ImageImageImageImage
Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Sun May 21, 2006 11:33 pm

Deerslayer and I have finished our games, which were both draws, although I won by 2,900pts overall. I guess it's you and me to play the next one Pete?

Well played Deerslayer, good games!
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Italy Play By Email (PBEM)