TAO5 Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Battles in Italy?

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Arckon » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:32 am

I'll play, if however you don't get to the 32, I am quite happy not to be included in the 16 so as people like Kilgore Trout may get a guernsey. Although daresay you will base it on the order of sign up anyway.
Arckon
Captain
Captain

Postby Howard7x » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:16 pm

Count me in!

:twisted:
Never, ever.... ever again!

Image ImageImageImageImage
Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby RalphH » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:20 pm

I will play TAO5. One of these days I hope to at least win a first round game :P
Ralph
RalphH
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Joel137 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:03 am

I think I'll wait for the "On to Antwerp" tournament.

On second thought count me in; after my soon to be announced two losses to Fantassin in the Husky testors tournament . . .
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joel137 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:05 am

JSS wrote:
Kingpin wrote:
Assuming isolated units surrender?

Why yes they do. :twisted:

30% US, 10% Brits, 0% German....

Will have to look at how these play out. There are plenty of 2 step US combat units that any of the inexperienced US units should not be a surrender risk (unless cutoff & isolated). The two step German combat units are harder to line up with the inexperienced volksgrenadier divisions... otherwise they would have a surrender isolated at 30% (plus the SS units never surrender, setting Germans to never surrender is only way to model this)...

JSS, could you have made the SS a minor country and assigned them a different surrender probability?
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:34 pm

Thats an interesting approach.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby falco » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:49 pm

Please count me in if possible. Gonna see if I can complete one game in a tourney without computer meltdowns.

- falco.
falco
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby JSS » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:56 pm

Joel137 wrote:
JSS, could you have made the SS a minor country and assigned them a different surrender probability?

That would certainly address the surrender issue.

It would cause some supply issues... nothing impossible, but would require a totally new approach to supply truck management for the TAO game. Not sure if the supply issues would be a negative factor (another layer of complexity) or a really, really good tweak (i.e. you would have to keep the SS Pz Korps units together).
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Kingpin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:51 am

JSS wrote:
Joel137 wrote:

That would certainly address the surrender issue.

It would cause some supply issues... nothing impossible, but would require a totally new approach to supply truck management for the TAO game. Not sure if the supply issues would be a negative factor (another layer of complexity) or a really, really good tweak (i.e. you would have to keep the SS Pz Korps units together).

It might be interesting but I think less realistic really. Would a regular German supply truck not help an SS unit if they were out of supply in real life? Of course they would.

The potential supply issues would have a much greater negative impact on the game than correcting the surrender issue IMO.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:50 pm

Cant you set Supply Trucks to supply a side (Axis) rather then just a country?
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby JSS » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:12 pm

Robjess wrote:Cant you set Supply Trucks to supply a side (Axis) rather then just a country?

No, only supply sources have that option.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Brubaker » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:38 am

Kingpin wrote:It might be interesting but I think less realistic really. Would a regular German supply truck not help an SS unit if they were out of supply in real life? Of course they would.

I am not sure this is true. It is not so much that the wermacht wouldn't help the SS, but more a case of units only being able to draw supply from their own higher level echelons. That is very real. In fact, in the Ardennes battle, there was a LOT of bickering over who should use which road and the traffic priorities etc. So I don't don't think it is unbelievable at all for a unit from X army not being supplied from Y HQ. I like the idea a lot.

This is edging toward a true mulitplayer type game setup as well, though there does remain the need to be able (fr someone) to be able to switch units between armies/groups, with some form of (time?) penalty applied for doing so.

What an interesting approach....

Brubaker

Brubaker
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:53 am

Brubaker wrote:
This is edging toward a true mulitplayer type game setup as well, though there does remain the need to be able (fr someone) to be able to switch units between armies/groups, with some form of (time?) penalty applied for doing so.

What an interesting approach....

Brubaker

Indeed! :twisted:
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Kingpin » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:17 pm

Supply was already a fairly significant problem in TAO4. It was quite easy to use interdiction to blanket a significant number of German units and put them out of supply. Especially in the south.

This change would only enhance this 'issue'. As for regular and SS troops bickering over who should get more resources, who do you think won that argument? Clearly the SS was better supplied and often took priority over regular army troops.

I think its just as likely that SS units would have 'scrounged' supplies from other HQ's. In fact I would be shocked if this did not occur.

I suppose I could get behind this idea but only if the SS HQ supply burst was enhanced.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Talos » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:28 pm

This may sound silly as I do not realy no enough about the editor, but could you actual do the reverse and make the SS the major and the ordinary Wermacht the minor? Would this get round the SS being able to draw supply from Wermacht units while the ordinary Werchmat cound not draw from the SS supply? But sill allow the different surrender possibilities. :?:
"There is only one decisive victory: the last." (Karl von Clausewitz)
3: OTP Axis v JSS
4: Open

ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Italy Play By Email (PBEM)