game must be played on a registered machine

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

game must be played on a registered machine

Postby jjdenver » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi,

A friend and I are having trouble getting a scenario going using BII. He sent me the first turn PBEM file but when I try to load it to start German turn I get "game must be played on a registered machine".

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Roger Keating » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:01 am

If the game recognizes that this is the first players turn then it will register that game on that machine.

It will give the error message on turns 2 through to the end of the scenario. I do not understand this happening with the current facts.

I can only suggest that you have your friend create a couple of quick games and send them to you to make sure that it does happen correctly and that this is a one off event. When you have proof that the files can get passed this point then try the scenario again. There is a problem with debugging these as I am now working in VS2010 on a Windows 7 machine and without a major rewrite this code will not operate.

I am still considering the major rewrite options as it would take me several months of programming involved.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby jjdenver » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:53 pm

Thanks for the reply. Of course selfishly I'd like to see the rewrite for all of the old games because I still play BII, Battlefront, and the new Kharkov/ATD2 engine and there are so many nice user-made scenarios for them.

But, it would be even better to see a new game come out with a more generic/user-friendly scenario editor because I think in the long run that would lead to even ore user-made scenarios.

For this issue, we simply re-tried (he sent me another start file) and voila(!) it worked this time.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion