New and Have a Couple Questions

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

New and Have a Couple Questions

Postby howtobox » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:31 am

Hi, I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of questions I have regarding the BiI and DB games in general. I'm completely new to these types of games.

I'm military and was looking for a fun and interactive way for a group of officers to do some professional development on the Italian Campaign (Canadian involvement). I'm intrigued by the idea of putting us all in a room, breaking into groups, coming up with plans and possibly running through the battles. I'm wondering:

1. How long does it take to play a scenario from beginning to end? I have about a two hour window - would it even be worthwhile trying to get them to come up with a plan and implement it - or is this a game that has to stretch over days/weeks.

2. Can the scenarios be played as they happened historically? Does a guide exist that could help us play it out?

Thanks for your help in advance to see if this might be a good fit for our PD session.
howtobox
New Recruit

Postby JSS » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:44 pm

The BII scenarios allow you to play brigade and separate regimental units. What the game allows is to wargame the efforts of Canadian divisions as part of their historical Corps.

Historical Husky, Avalanche, and Shingle campaigns are included. There are two long campaigns (one based on Husky landings, the other is a free landing, fight your own invasion plan campaign).

The scenarios put you in the role of Corps and Army Commanders. You can do exactly as you asked about with teams... it will be a division command effort.

In Husky and Avalanche you get 1 CAN Div (3 infantry brigade units and the recon regiment) plus 1 CAN Armoured Brigade... as formations in XIII BC Corps.

In Shingle there is 1 CAN Div and 5 CAN Armoured Div as part of V BC Corps.

Time to play a scenario varies but in general it can be 30 minutes to an hour per turn (1 day of game time)... this includes wargaming all the US and BC forces in the scenario.

Options exist with the editor to change the game to fighting the role of the division commander (i.e. units displayed in the game as battalion size formations). A person would need Order of Battles... obviously for the Canadian forces but also some modification of German/Italian forces would be needed to allow the combat engine to work properly. The Husky scenario and perhaps the Avalanche scenarios could be easily modified to support this (i.e. current map and Canadian sectors would support a scenario like this).

Let me know if this helps!

JSS
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby JSS » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Here's a look at the starting situation for Avalanche:

Initial positions overview. Task of XIII BC Corps is to capture all of Calabria. You have the choice to play the campaign with linkup to Salerno Beachhead or Taranto Beachhead... or to split XIII BR Corps and linkup with both!

Here's XIII BC Corps starting position (early in game). You can see 29th Pz Gd Div, 26th Pz Div, and a regiment of 1 FJ Div as the opposing forces. Note: this view is from a game set to exposed enemy. With tactical sighting rules in effect, only the units you're in contact with will be visible.

Here's a look at an early Salerno situation (~day 5 of campaign).

Here's a similar look at Taranto around day 5.

Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby nikdav » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:42 pm

very good post JSS, i like the screenshots !!
Many years after Korsun Pocket, I buy some weeks ago BII and i start playing the russian scenarios (moskow and Kharkov) but after this post i must start soon the italian campaign (after all i am italian).
thanks!!!

nikdav
nikdav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thanks

Postby howtobox » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:06 am

Thanks for the info - at 30 min to an hour per turn for 1 day time, it's probably not going to be doable in the time I have allotted. Is there a playback feature that would let me play the scenario in advance, record it, and play it back during the presentation?

Thanks again.
howtobox
New Recruit

Re: Thanks

Postby JSS » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:31 am

howtobox wrote:Thanks for the info - at 30 min to an hour per turn for 1 day time, it's probably not going to be doable in the time I have allotted. Is there a playback feature that would let me play the scenario in advance, record it, and play it back during the presentation?

Thanks again.

The PBEM turn files all have a replay of the opponents turn. So you could set up a non-secure PBEM game and play out the scenario prior to your meeting.

Takes ~20 seconds to load each turn and then the replay can be advanced one move at a time, to the next combat action (shows results of combat), or all the way thru without stopping. Actual replay typically takes less than a minute (without stops).

Using this method you could select specific days to review... it would also let your group discuss the day, plan their own action, and try the turn based on what was learned/discussed.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby jjdenver » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:25 am

I'd suggest using the Kharkov engine and downloading the user-made Husky scenario. I think it plays a little quicker and using the updated engine to call in direct air and artillery is a lot of fun. Also armor is extremely effective in that scenario so the Germans can get in some really fun counterattacks with HG division and some other pzg divisions while the allies need to rely on fire superiority over the long term using naval gunfire and artillery.

However with 2 hours to play you won't get very far in any scenario unfortunately. You might be able to plan and execute the landing turn in Husky only which iirc includes a paradrop - in 2 hours.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion