Kharkov: Last Victory in Russia (BII) Crashing problem.

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Kharkov: Last Victory in Russia (BII) Crashing problem.

Postby wmpryor » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:14 am

I bought BII several months ago, and later downloaded the Kharkov scenario. I have not played it in awhile and I removed the scenario. I recently re-installed BII and the Kharkov scenario. I played as the Germans and made it to turn 28 - next when the Russian AI moves as couple units, the game crashes. Next I a started a new game - this time as the Russians. I made it to turn 6 and then the game crashed. I uninstalled and re-downloaded the files from SSG's site. I re-installed again, started one game as a German and one as a Russian - now they both crash on turn 2, no matter which side. What is confusing is the fact it let me get so far initially, and now can't get past turn 2! I have seen an earlier post about map problems with fortifications and mines. What is strange is that the first time I played as the Russians several months ago - it let me play all the way through. I really like this scenario. Anyone have any suggestions?
wmpryor
New Recruit

Postby Noakesy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:38 pm

Are you playing Abwehr's final version?

http://rapidshare.com/files/362862610/Kharkov.7z.html

his note does say that it crashes occasionally playing against the AI. He's normally very good at responding so will hopefully get back to you (if he sees this note, assuming he's not still celebtrating at Dutch progress in the world cup.........to play brazil).
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:42 pm

The scenario seems to be heavy on the engine, although I haven't figured out why yet. A scenario like Fall Gelb has more units but hasn't ever crashed when I played it. Other scenarios also suffer from crashes at some points. I've had numerous crashes with the On to Moscow scenario too.

I'll check the AI routines again for the next minor update, maybe the problem is that the AI's behaviour isn't properly coded.

-

Noakesy: I have the feeling Brazil will crush the wimpy Dutch defence, I've postponed celebrations over yesterday's match until the game with Brazil. If the Dutch win that, thus winning the first game against an opponent on their skill level they've had to play thus far, I'll celebrate.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Kharkov: Last Victory in Russia (BII) Crashing problem.Reply

Postby wmpryor » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:26 pm

I am playing Kharkov scenario ver. 2.0.0.26 Is this the latest version? I downloaded it from Matrix games. The link (Noasky) you provided from Rapidshare has exceeded its maximum of ten downloads. Operation Typhoon/On to Moscow has never crashed for me, but I have only played it twice.
wmpryor
New Recruit

Postby Abwehr » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:02 pm

If you downloaded the scenario from elsewhere, you're playing the "official" release version which is littered with problems.

I'll check the AI routines, make a change or two and upload a new version.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

File taken down

Postby Amicofritz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:03 am

Abwehr wrote:If you downloaded the scenario from elsewhere, you're playing the "official" release version which is littered with problems.

I'll check the AI routines, make a change or two and upload a new version.

Hey Abwehr, the updated Kharkov file is not available anymore on rapidshare. I played the earlier version, and would like to try your fixed version of this great scenario. How do I get it?

Amicofritz/Jon H.
Amicofritz
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Abwehr » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:55 am

The last month went by before I knew it, so I haven't checked the AI routines yet, but I'll do that this weekend. I'll upload a new version after that.

I am also preparing to convert the scenario to the Kharkov/ATD2 engine, as there are some problems with the BiI engine than can cripple this scenario.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Kharkov

Postby Amicofritz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Great, Abwehr. Mind you, I didn't run into any crashing problems when playing by e-mail. That's most important, in my opinion.

When/if you also convert it to ATD2 standard, I may buy that game too ... Keep up the great work!

Regards Jon H.
Amicofritz
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Abwehr » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:13 pm

PBEM games rarely crash, the AI just gets really confused in some scenarios which crashes games between the player and the AI.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:08 am

One of the AI groups didn't have any regions assigned to it, which probably caused the scenario to crash. I created an AI vs AI game and that got to turn 13 without a problem, at which point I stopped it.

I've changed the VP's a bit, mostly setting Soviet points to "from turn 1 to the last turn the Axis get points for the objective".

The scenario is still very tricky for the Soviet player, but that's something I can't really fix until I port this to the Kharkov/ATD2 engine.

http://rapidshare.com/files/411940933/Kharkov.7z
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

any news?

Postby carl11 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:27 am

I have very much enjoyed playing this scenario as the germans. However I can never get the AI AS the germans past turn 1, I get the following crash error;

C:\DOCUME~1\CARLET~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\a78_appcompat.txt

whatever that means. the rapid share file is gone.....so if it had an update, I cannot access it.

any suggestions?
carl11
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Abwehr » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:16 pm

I'll see if I can get the Axis AI in shape somewhere in the future.

I can't access the files on the PC that has BiI on it now, because my mother was smart enough to install Linux on it without a start-up sequencer (which means Windows is there, but can't be accessed).
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

thank you

Postby carl11 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:06 am

I would be most appreciative. :D
carl11
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby carl11 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:51 am

any word?
carl11
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Abwehr » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:58 pm

I'll work on it this week. I'll just change the AI and some minor things to prevent crashes (no edge of the map strongpoints or minefields and more spread out reinforcement hexes). The version I have now is a heavily modified version with OOB changes as well, but I'll work on a simplified version.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion