Tactical advice for Kharkov/ Fall Gelb

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Tactical advice for Kharkov/ Fall Gelb

Postby flick » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:24 am

I am currently playing the Axis forces and wondering if you guys had any tips for me, specially for Kharkov.

My strategy is too let the russians push through my center, untill about halfway through the map, and then when they are hopefully over extended, cut off the head with the strong flank forces I will have (hopefully) built up.

Is that what pretty much happend historically?

As for france, I will be following the germans historical plan, does the AI ever throw any nasty suprises in this scenario? Mabe later, I will try out some of the earlier plans the germans discarded.

Cheers guys.
flick
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:38 am

Which versions are you playing? If you're playing the original Kharkov 1943 scenario, the game will probably crash vs the AI.

The main trick as the Axis in Kharkov is to give ground GRADUALLY, don't run away instantly. There are some high VP targets between the starting location and the first major river, including a rather nasty one in the centre/south that doesn't give much to the Axis but gives a boatload of points to the Soviets.

Your infantry also can't retreat quickly in the original version and quickly become stuck in the snow when there are Soviet units next to them because they have a pretty low OP total. However, if stuff has to die, try to let the regular infantry take the beating. If you can keep most of your armoured strength intact, you can really hurt the Soviets when the SS arrives.

In the real battle, the Soviets overextended themselves and basically ran out of momentum near Kharkov, at which point SS units hit their flanks and retook Kharkov in a rather ugly brawl. However, by that point Soviet forces had already been badly mauled by a stubborn Axis defense and by a curious lack of replacements. Incoming Luftwaffe reinforcements also quickly blew the VVS out of the sky at the time of the German counteroffensive.

As for Fall Gelb: if you follow the actual war plan against the AI, you basically can't fail. The AI will garrison the Dyle Line, but the interdiction in the stock scenario is so brutal that they're not going to get out alive if you use interdiction to keep them away from your armour.

The main thing to keep in mind is that you don't necessarily have to break through the Dyle line as soon as you reach it. The important thing is reaching the Channel.

One thing you could do is send most of your Panzer and Motorized Infantrydivisions through the Ardennes. I'd suggest including the SS division in the Netherlands, just send it south with extended movement, it will take a while but it'll be worth it. Race a regular Panzer division to the coast, with a Motorized Infantry division trailing behind it to keep the supplyline open. Wheel two elite Panzer divisions to the left (south) to keep French reinforcements busy. Wheel the rest to the right (north) and outflank the Allies. The result will be a giant bag of Allied troops that can't go anywhere but take time to kill.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby flick » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:32 am

Hey, thanks for the advice. The Kharkov scenario I've downloaded is the one for BII (obviously) from this site. You say it will crash? Can I get a patched version?
Thanks.
flick
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:51 pm

I'm still working on an edited version, but playing against the AI probably won't ever be stable in that scenario.

There are some problems with the BiI engine that can cause the AI to crash the game at certain points, and as I'm not a coder I have no idea what causes the specific problem in Kharkov 1943. My edited version is more stable than the original, but it especially against the German AI, it will still crash, sadly.

A new version of the edit will be released soon, I'm currently working on it.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Great news

Postby Amicofritz » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:12 am

That's great news, Abwehr. It's a great scenario, with many strategic options, but THE most annoying and critical error is the lack of German Rail cap. I look forward to that being fixed. I have played two games (email) without crash problems.
Amicofritz
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Abwehr » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:31 am

The rail problem for Kharkov 1943 you mean? That was actually very simple to fix. After I checked the railroad grid to see if anything was flawed, and after I checked some other functions of the editor to see if there was some sort of error with the allocation of the rail transport, it turned out that the Axis simply had rail movement set to 0 in their country data...

The stock scenario has many odd errors like that, such as infantry units having a "naval only" transport movement setting defined in the editor. Very useful...

PBEM games rarely crash, it's mostly the AI games that cause the engine to crash, especially if there are strongpoints that touch the edge of the map.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion