Sealion 1940

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Abwehr » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:43 am

The supply zones might not function properly.

I didn't look at them as people stated it was a functional scenario, but Eastbourne doesn't function as a supply hex even though there are no British units within the 1 hex radius, and the Germans occupy a roughly 3 hex perimeter.

I'll change the supply sources to keep functioning as long as the Germans occupy the hex.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but the scenario might not be playable currently. That is, however, weird as noted earlier as people could play this scenario normally before and I haven't touched the supply except for the airborne drop.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Ointment anyone?

Postby critter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:54 am

Like a rash :lol: :lol:

"We shall fight them in the air!!!
We shall fight them on the beaches!!!
We shall pop them like a pimple!!!"
critter
Major
Major

It worked b4

Postby critter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:57 am

I've played the original 6 times. Only faults I found was it always came up a draw.
Still waiting for someone to test it with...Talos?
critter
Major
Major

Postby Noakesy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:59 am

Abwehr wrote:I didn't look at them as people stated it was a functional scenario, but Eastbourne doesn't function as a supply hex...

Sounds good :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:54 am

Eastbourne is a functional supply hex for the Germans just takes a couple of turns to become active after captured.

Critter sent you a turn, but will send another off a bit later tonight as its obviously got lost.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Talos » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:22 am

OK critter sent you the setup file, let me know if it does not arrive.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Got it.

Postby critter » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:35 am

May not have got lost. Alott of my stuff coming thru is going straight to my spam folder. Not quite sure how to reroute them straight to my inbox.
Anyway I check my spam b4 I empty it.
critter
Major
Major

Postby Talos » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:45 pm

Have got games going now against Noakesy and Critter.

Some initial impressions are that if you get the landing wrong as the Germans, you will be heading back across the channel very quickly. Getting the entry hex for the 22 Air Landing Division is tough, i eventually took it on turn 5 in the game against Noakesy, after he vacated the premises. Something you might consider is the air interdiction for the Germans, as it seems very hit and miss. I don't know if its possible to apply some kind of bonus for every RAF airfield captured and also once you have captured a major port. But the interdiction can have big say on how quickly you can advance and it seems to be very variable. In the game against Noakesy its been nothing and i think one per turn turn for the first 5 turns. Against critter i have just ended up with three on turn 2-3, two lots of this amount of interdiction on the trot will cause the allies major problems in the east.

In the game against Noakesy i have just started to push seriously inland and made some quite good progress by the end of turn 5, slow but steady. In the games against Critter the Axis game is following a similar path to the Noakesy game. In the allied game Critter's Axis landing to the east is starting to look rather forlorn (turn 2-3) and I expect to push it back into the sea, further west the Germans are ashore but the beachead is going to be on the small side, will have to see how this bit of it goes.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:12 am

In my playtest with jjdenver, I think I'm fairly close to containing the Axis landings, and I have noticed several areas that could use more work. I think I'll make the German parachute landing easier by removing some of the strongpoints, and moving others a bit to the west. I'll also remove the minefields under every strongpoint, only mining those one or two hexes removed from the sea. I'll give the UK two minefields to place each turn to compensate.

I might need to allow German reinforcements to also come into Eastbourne, as the Panzers can't possibly land in a lane 4 hex currently in my playtest with jjdenver.

I also need to change VP's for especially the German units, as I've made all units of the same class the same in terms of strengths, whilst originally, some units had poorer strengths than others and this was reflected in lower VP gains. I'll also boost the VP's gained for beating British regular units a bit.

German air interdiction was hit or miss in the original scenario too, the reason for it, as explained in the documentation, is that the Luftwaffe would be busy with interdicting Allied shipping. Personally, I feel interdiction is currently too random, so I think I'll give the Germans 3 in the first few turns and 2 after that interdictions each turn with an 80% appearance rate, like the RAF. This still models more or less the same effect as the original designer intended.

Another constant annoyance in every scenario I've edited thus far is that AA values are set on a national level, so I can't give light AA a decreased radius.

After a bit of thought about ground interdiction, I am now of the opinion that ground interdiction should be more, not less, powerful in bad weather and the more I think about, the more it strikes me as odd that ground interdiction is basically treated as air interdiction with a reduced (placement) radius in most scenarios.

The German pocket (in the scenario) west of Portsmouth is also something of a deathtrap currently, as the British can move units into that area fairly easily.

I think I'll also decrease British truck movement allowances in the first few turns, as the Luftwaffe will be bombing the hell out of the areas beyond the landing sites, making road travel there fairly risky.

Talos, I'd be more than happy to place event based triggers in the scenario, but it's impossible. You might recall that I suggested it to SSG a while ago and with their current manpower and priorities, it's impossible to add, sadly.

As a side note: I'll be editing Fall Gelb too, as critter could not break through my defensive line in the first playtest and suggested we started over, which we will.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:37 am

I have just finished turn 4 as the Axis against critter and am making very good progress inland, (better than the game with Noakesy, though that is going Ok as well). Critter has decided to go after the troops west of Portsmouth and they are probable not going to survive. In the east significant ground is being gained and the allied line is looking a bit weak.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:51 am

Where did you land your tanks? Did you concentrate your force on taking Brighton?

I'm surprised your result is currently very different from the result jjdenver is likely to achieve.

Even if the rest of the landings are fairly balanced, I'll still tweak the airborne drops.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:34 am

Abwehr wrote:Where did you land your tanks? Did you concentrate your force on taking Brighton?

I'm surprised your result is currently very different from the result jjdenver is likely to achieve.

Even if the rest of the landings are fairly balanced, I'll still tweak the airborne drops.

No everything landed east of Brighton so that the Brighton forces did not activate on turn 1. Just pushing inland, though the focus is more in the est by Hythe and Canterbury.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:11 pm

But doesn't that mean your tank reinforcements can't land, as they're in sealane 4 and presumably need Brighton or Portsmouth?
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Abwehr wrote:But doesn't that mean your tank reinforcements can't land, as they're in sealane 4 and presumably need Brighton or Portsmouth?

For the moment
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:13 pm

So you're currently making good progress with what comes down to only the infantry you start with and an additional division or two from the second wave? That's fairly surprising.

In your opinion, should I allow armoured reinforcements to land in any reasonably sized port/are with suitable facilities and a halfway decent beach?

Eastbourne doesn't and didn't have much resembling port facilities, as in: it currently seems to have a (wooden) pier, a marina and that's about it, but its beach is fairly ideal to land on. The Germans would probably have been able to beach some vessels there, unload the cargo, and move away, especially considering the size and weight of the average German tank of the time.

On the other hand, Brighton wasn't and isn't in a much better shape if you want to invade England using its beachside facilities, with 2 piers that had been sabotaged by the British prior to Sealion and the same lack of any larger harbour facilities as Eastbourne.

At the least, I could make it possible to divert infantry alert/reinforcement units to Eastbourne.

The Germans only had a few specialized landing craft, nothing like the Allied armada that invaded Normandy, but there should be some historically accurate way of getting some tanks on English soil.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion