Sealion 1940

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Sealion 1940

Postby Abwehr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:28 pm

I've edited the scenario, the changes are as follows:

-The Allies can now put 4 units in each hex, like the Germans.

-Allied units defending the beachheads are now entrenched at the start of the scenario. The invasion would hardly have been a surprise to the defenders.

-Allied regular units (any non-territorial units) now have the same combat strength as German formations. The Germans are still stronger due to their divisional integrity bonus.

The strengths are now:

2-5-7-9
5-7-9-10

-German infantry units are now 4 step. The Germans would add as many reinforcements to their infantry divisions participating in the invasion as possible, and thus their regiments are 4 step.

-The Fallschirmjaeger and Luftlande divisions are still made up of 3 step units, as losses suffered in North Holland in manpower and transport capacity would not be even close to being replaced in under two months. The Fallschirmjaeger Sturmpioniere unit is a 2 step battalion.

-The Fallschirmjaeger now don't land in the mess of strongpoints and units near RAF Lympne, but now land in the woods south of it, where they should suffer no attrition damage upon landing. Even though the attrition roll requires a 6, units could still take quite a punch from landing further to the north.

-The entire coastline is now mined, as are the hexes with 1 step strongpoints.

-All Homeguard units have been removed and abstracted into more ground interdiction and more obstacles (mines/strongpoints). These units would've been a delaying force, not an actual fighting force.

-Territorial Army strength has been improved slightly to:

1-3-4-6
1-3-4-6

-Panzer divisions only get a 50% bonus now and Panzer regiment strength has in some cases been tuned down slightly. Three step 40 attack strength regular regiments are just plain silly.

-About all Allied infantry units now refit with a 2 turn delay, and have enough timed steps to replace initial KIA's at their arrival.

-Global infantry replacements for the British have been cut for the first week, to represent forces going directly to the units that need them.

-Regular British fullstrength units now have only 1 timed step, to represent the regular understrength divisions being prioritized as far as replacements are concerned.

-German formations now mostly only get 1 timed step. The last stages of the French campaign were difficult for the Wehrmacht in terms of attrition, and not enough shipping was available to move large quantities of units across the Channel/North Sea. The Panzer I/II regiments still get 2 steps, as those tank types would be readily available.

-Landing near larger settlements/cities with a garrison is now fairly deadly. Even though the attrition roll is only a 6, the invaders will likely be trapped on the Coastal hexes which have a horrible CRT for the defenders, and they will be sitting on a minefield. There are still plenty of coastal hexes the Germans can land on without any (significant) enemy concentrations near them.

-German and Allied regular infantry formations now get a -1 variable anti-tank defense. Both sides would still be using fairly weak AT weapons, so the -2 variable given to them by the original designer is way too high.

-Elite and motorized formations get a -2 anti-tank variable mostly, to represent experience in dealing with armour and/or greater mobility and support assets.

-Elite infantry unit strength tuned down. Generally, elite infantry units will have:

2-5-9-10
5-7-10-11

-The Allies now get 1 air combat strike and 1 barrage strike at the least in every turn. It's unlikely that the Germans would establish air superiority soon, or that they would be able to neutralize British artillery assets quickly.

-Amount of carpetbombing strikes for the Germans have been reduced. Dive bomber and medium bomber squadrons would be busy enough with trying to keep the Royal Navy from bulldozing through the transports of the invasion fleet, and with providing regular air support. Large concentrations of air support would be fairly rare.

-The Calais coastal guns now basically don't do anything except barrage, they would not be suitable for offensive or defensive artillery support.

-Allied artillery units have three attack and three defensive shifts now.

-Most/all Allied formations that were not able to take replacements before, are now capable of taking replacements. There would be quite a lot of foreign troops in the UK at the time to bring foreign formations up to strength if needed.

-RAF interdiction is now more likely to appear.

-Allied refit rate increased slightly.

-Anti-tank strengths for most AA and AT units has been reduced.

The initial invasion is now going to be more difficult, as it takes a while to get through the coastal defenses, but it isn't impossible. As long as the Germans concentrate their forces, they should be able to break through.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:48 pm

I played this a few times last year, and it was good fun but very difficult for the allies. Equally, for fritz it was quite tough when ashore. If you want to play test your new version I'm happy to give it a go with you (either as allies or fritz)?
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:48 pm

Happy to do so as well, or perhaps me and Noaksey could have ago if he is up for the challenge. :D
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:32 pm

Talos wrote:Happy to do so as well, or perhaps me and Noaksey could have ago if he is up for the challenge. :D

I'm game if Abwehr is happy to let us have his files to play with.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:28 pm

I don't have a lot of time for tweaking today, so I'll send you guys the file tomorrow.

The original scenario looked like a fun scenario, but in my opinion there were some oddities that could be ironed out. My edited version will play very differently than the original in any case, due to the changed strengths and fewer timed steps for the Germans.

As an additional change, I'm going to give infantry formations 3 attack bullets. Both the Allied and German infantry units would be fighting with fairly simple weaponry which would be very easy to find ammo or spare parts for.

I'd again like to stress that it is crucial for the Germans not to land near urban centers with a garrison, as they need to get out of the minefields near the coast ASAP. Even though they land on minefields, overrunning 1 step strongpoints doesn't take a lot of effort, so as long as the Germans land in a place without a garrison, they should be able to consolidate their initial position.

I think it would be a good idea to have two experienced players like you two test the scenario. If I take part in all the playtesting, I might miss some things that people not involved in the editing would notice. I would appreciate it if you would be the Germans, Talos. Noakesy on the defense should give you both time to get a good "feel" for the scenario, as it seems to me that Talos usually has interesting tactics for an offense and Noakesy can plan a decent defense.

I'll playtest with jjdenver myself, so I'll also be testing the changes. As usual, unless jjdenver objects, I'll be the defender as that will give me the best "feel" for the scenario.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:14 am

The landings might be too difficult, but we'll see.

Here's the Rapidshare link for the 7zip file: http://rapidshare.com/files/262907995/S ... 40.7z.html

Additional change:

-All German infantry units involved in the first wave get 2 timed steps.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

I'm in

Postby critter » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:27 am

Hey Talos if you got an MT space. I'll give you a go.
We can mirror if you want. send me a set up and I'll comply when I get yours..
Might have a chance to wup up on you b4 you learn the game :roll:
critter
Major
Major

Re: I'm in

Postby Talos » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:52 am

critter wrote:Hey Talos if you got an MT space. I'll give you a go.
We can mirror if you want. send me a set up and I'll comply when I get yours..
Might have a chance to wup up on you b4 you learn the game :roll:

Well drop a turn off to you 2morrow. Though the games will fit round the tourny game(s).
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:35 am

Hi Abwehr, I'm having trouble with this download as per the Kharkov one and I can't recall how to get around it. I've downloaded it to my desk top, but then can't open or copy it at all. Can you remind me how to do this (and then presumably I copy all files and download into the Sealion folder saying 'yes' to replace all?)

Actually, stop press, I think I may have done it ok and did 'extract files to sealion 1940' is that right?
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:12 pm

It should be a regular 7zip archive, so you should be able to extract it with 7zip. If you put the files in the Sealion folder, overwriting when prompted, it should work.

I suggest going to the editor and checking some of the changes prior to starting a game. Specifically, the German player should check where a landing is a good idea. and where he'll probably be stopped and/or butchered.

As long as you don't change anything in the editor, it should be no problem (if you do change something, the file version will no longer match that of your opponent).
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:17 pm

Abwehr wrote:It should be a regular 7zip archive, so you should be able to extract it with 7zip. If you put the files in the Sealion folder, overwriting when prompted, it should work.

I suggest going to the editor and checking some of the changes prior to starting a game. Specifically, the German player should check where a landing is a good idea. and where he'll probably be stopped and/or butchered.

As long as you don't change anything in the editor, it should be no problem (if you do change something, the file version will no longer match that of your opponent).

All working fine now, 1st Turn went off last night.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:30 am

How is your game going Talos and Noakesy?
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:58 am

Abwehr wrote:How is your game going Talos and Noakesy?

Slowly, Noakesy had family so expecting the first turn back tonight. Landing went Ok, though i tool a fairly conservative approach. Getting one of the major ports looks like the first major problem, as its not possible to land near Brighton without suffering horendous losses.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:27 am

Eastbourne will be the primary supply area for the Germans in the early stages of the game. It's essential to link Eastbourne up with the German forces to the north.

There's only a territorial division around Hastings, which will probably retreat as Hastings isn't worth anything.

The game between jjdenver has started with a fairly secure, conservative opening by the Germans, although some of the Fallschirmjaeger were still blown too far to the north and took some hits. Most of the landings were not brutal, but jjdenver's infantry took some hits.

The next few turns should be mostly about cleaning up the landing areas for jjdenver. I'm not sure how much of an impact British reinforcements will have on the landing sites, it might be easy to throw the invader back into the sea if concentrated, I'm not sure. There are marshes and other difficult CRT's around, though, and some major rivers to hide behind for both sides.

The Allies have (parts of) an Australian division, two Canadian divisions, a territorial division in London and the Lowland division as a reserve initially, as well as a few armour and engineer units and some elite foreign forces. Most of those forces are either not at division strength, or start understrength.

I'll also have to fix some of the errors and typo's in the unit names, as the original author seems to have typed them in a hurry in some cases.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:48 am

Will get first turn back tomorrow am, looks like Talos has already gone miles inland... :cry: :roll:

Doesn't appear to have been a problem for fritz storming into eastborne and taking out all the pensioners. In fact, they appear to be all over the south coast like a rash.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion