Supply questions

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Supply questions

Postby jjdenver » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:06 pm

Hi,

If there is a supply tutorial or supply thread I'd appreciate being pointed to it - I don't want to ask for answers to questions that are already consolidated somewhere. Thanks.

Here are my questions:

1) If a unit belongs to let's say 16th Army, can it be supplied by a supply truck/unit that belongs to another army - say 3 Pz Army?

2) There is a sort of "fuel gauge" on units that is a horizontal bar on unit display that has a marker that move from right to left over time. I guess this is unit OP points saved up. I guess that it goes down as the unit uses OPs and falls even further if extended movement is used.
How can I get this bar filled back up?
When I see that some supply dumps or trucks burst X OPs - does this mean that's how many points go back into the units bar/fuel pool each turn at start of my turn?
I know that extended movement uses up this bar - does attacking use up the bar also? Digging in also?

Thanks for clarifications.
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Carl Myers » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:11 am

1) If a unit belongs to let's say 16th Army, can it be supplied by a supply truck/unit that belongs to another army - say 3 Pz Army?

Yes

2) There is a sort of "fuel gauge" on units that is a horizontal bar on unit display that has a marker that move from right to left over time. I guess this is unit OP points saved up. I guess that it goes down as the unit uses OPs and falls even further if extended movement is used.
How can I get this bar filled back up?

By moving less that the OP's that the unit gets every turn. Right click the the movement bar below the 'fuel' gauage to see the amount of basic OP's and the amount of delivered OP's. An unit not in contact with the enemy this turn or the previous turn nor did any action this turn or the last turn will receive bonus OP's.

When I see that some supply dumps or trucks burst X OPs - does this mean that's how many points go back into the units bar/fuel pool each turn at start of my turn?

No, determines how far the supply point will supply units.

I know that extended movement uses up this bar - does attacking use up the bar also? Digging in also?

No, no.

Suggest that you read the game manual.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby jjdenver » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:14 am

Thanks for the response.

Another thing that I'm not quite clear on is why/if it matters that a unit is attached to an overall formation. So it's clear that if there are 4 units in an infantry division and they receive an attk/def bonus for staying w/in say 5 hexes of each other that they should be deployed together.

However if a unit is part of an army formation, is there any reason for that unit to deploy in the region where the rest of the army's units are deployed? For example in the Europe scenario - would there be any drawback to sending an infantry division from Kiev MD up north to defend Leningrad? At first I thought it might be supply but based on your response any supply source or truck can resupply the infantry division from Kiev MD. Anything I'm not thinking of?

Thx
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:52 am

There are no Areas of Operation or actual formation tied supply units in Battles in Italy, so you can use any supply unit to supply any friendly unit of the same country.

The supply units are named after the formation they belong to in the OOB, but if you want to relocate your supply assets to areas not associated with their parent formation, you can. Supply units are usually quite slow however, so I would suggest moving divisions around rather than the supply units.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion