Timed steps?

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Timed steps?

Postby Abwehr » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:58 am

I'm currently playtesting my revisions to the Kharkov 1943/Last Victory in Russia scenario, and it seems the timed steps are not working correctly.

When I start a game vs the AI the number of KIA's a unit has at the start of the scenario/upon arrival of the unit is automatically subtracted from the amount of timed steps, as it should be.

However, as soon as the unit regains a step (after the step delay reaches 0 turns), the unit also regains its timed step, unless the timed step value is 1 and the unit refits in 1 turn. In that case the timed step is lost.

In the current Secure PBEM, the units get a "free" refit which doesn't cost any timed steps, and keep all timed steps until they lose a step in action, after which a step is substracted as usual.

In both cases, the timed steps behave in a way that they're not supposed to.

I have three questions:

-What is causing this problem?
-How do I solve it?
-How is it possible that the timed step system functions in one way in session 1, and in a completely different way in session 2 of the same scenario?
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Carl Myers » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:07 am

Sounds like you have run into a bug. Only those units that do not have timed replacements should have the ability to repair refit.
A unit that you want to be able to repair refit needs the Auto Repair field set to Permanent KIA and the Auto Pool field set to Inexhaustable.
A unit that you want to have timed replacements needs the Auto Repair field set to a specific turn delay and the Auto Pool set to a specific number of replacements.

In the original version of this scenario, many units had an Auto Pool fiedl of a specified number of replacements but had the Auto Repair field set to Permanent KIA, this preventing the unit for utilizing the time replacements.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:00 am

All timed steps are set correctly, with a number and a turn delay. The intention is that units that start the game with KIA's will use the timed steps to patch themselves up, and end with (usually) 1 remaining timed step. Sadly, it doesn't seem to work.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:18 am

The timed steps also don't seem to work correctly in Fall Gelb for units with KIA's at the start, so either I'm doing something wrong, or it's the engine.

SSG?
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion