Last Victory in Russia

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby flick » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:38 am

Wow, that's a lot to take in, I'll print out your comments. Cheers!

Have the crash problems been sorted out?
flick
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:25 pm

The AI will probably still crash the game from time to time, although I've also added AI desireability to various terrain tiles which seems to make it more intelligent and thus less likely to mass everything against Voroshilovgrad on the border of the map and crash the game.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby flick » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:34 pm

So it's best to make multiple saves you reckon? Cheers.
flick
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:15 pm

The AI will usually do about the same thing no matter how often you end a turn, so a save at the start of your turn, halfway through your turn and at the end of your turn might prevent crashes if you load one of those saves and do some things differently.

The Axis AI probably won't give you much of a challenge due to the size of the map and its limited initial forces. However, the Axis AI is less likely to crash. The Soviet AI will give you more of a challenge, but will also crash more often.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby flick » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:29 am

Thanks for the advice, have the actual programmers of the official games ever given their theories on why it sometimes crashes?
flick
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:37 am

The engine gets unstable when too many units/minefields/strongpoints are near the edge of the map, but sometimes the AI just gets really confused and crashes the scenario. I'm not sure whether the problem is in AI programming, but I've had a number of scenarios crash for unclear reasons. Aside from Kharkov 1943, On to Moscow also crashed on me when I tried a hypothetical variant where the Soviet line was established further to the rear (and yes, there are really not enough Soviets in that scenario). The game crashed as soon as the Germans got their alert reinforcements.

I don't think Battlefront or Kharkov:DotD have ever crashed on me, and neither has BiN. Don't recall whether KP or ATD ever crashed on me.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:18 am

Another new version, the OP's were dropping too quickly. Now supply is the same as the RMC, so units don't use reserve OP's unless they're out of supply or using extended movement.

The challenge should be to keep units in supply, especially in bad weather turns. Units were reduced to 2x their basic OP's too quickly in the previous version.

I've also fixed the SS and GD StuG OP's.

http://rapidshare.com/files/362862610/Kharkov.7z.html
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion