TAO5

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby qy_panzer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:49 pm

HerrCue wrote:Great job! This version plays so far alot more historical, with brick walls in the north and south, and huge German breakthrough along Houffalize/LaRoche axis, very historical. Great job!

Seems to be a minor bug on the fortifications in the south along the Sauer. I'm in two games, and in both the parent units get jumbled up after a couple turns, with one set of forts showing the parent as 41st recon of 11th armored, which of course is not on the map. The other two regiments seem to swap their forts.

Not sure if that's happened to anyone else

The bug exists everywhere.
qy_panzer
Sergeant
Sergeant

AI is not working at all

Postby enric » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:57 pm

I installed TAO-5 and starting Race to the Meuse or GPZarme, tried human as Allied or Axis, in either case, the AI does nothing, and the only option is quit the game.

Re-installed the scenario and the same happens,
am I doing something wrong?
enric
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Noakesy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:22 pm

JSS Wrote
One more note on the release. AI is included for both sides in On to Antwerp. Sixth Pz Armee & Race do not include AI (yet)... Robjess had mentioned an AI design contest. These would both be great scenarios for making a new AI.

Saw this earlier in the thread and might be the answer your question enric?
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:53 pm

HerrCue wrote:Great job! This version plays so far alot more historical, with brick walls in the north and south, and huge German breakthrough along Houffalize/LaRoche axis, very historical. Great job!

Seems to be a minor bug on the fortifications in the south along the Sauer. I'm in two games, and in both the parent units get jumbled up after a couple turns, with one set of forts showing the parent as 41st recon of 11th armored, which of course is not on the map. The other two regiments seem to swap their forts.

Not sure if that's happened to anyone else

Have not been able to reproduce this problem (haven't seen it in TAO5). Have seen this problem before in other scenarios being developed (has been about a year or so)... will see if I can find the bug report on it.

Is this in a PBEM or AI game?

Was there anything you did that might have triggerred this (i.e. pulled up dispersed strongpoints and then undid the action... or had a unit with dispersed strongpoints killed before pulling them up)?

Thanks for the feedback.
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby JSS » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:04 am

OK, found the strongpoint issue in a PBEM game. Did not see this in AI mode. 41 Cav/11 AD is directly ahead of 4 ID in the unit database. For some reason the strongpoints move forward a unit in the database (8th Reg strongpoints tied to 41st Cav... 12th Reg strongpoints tied to 8th Reg... 22d Reg strongpoints tied to 12th Reg...)

This is similar, but very different (I believe) from what I saw last year.

Will put together an update that avoids this issue.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby JSS » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:40 am

Solution to previous problem seems to have fixed the dispersed mode strongpoint problem here.

Note to scenario makers: In the editor all strongpoints must be cycled thru (start at 00 entry and hit next strongpoint arrow until you reach last strongpoint). This seems to establish the correct database link.

Here is an advanced look at version 1.01. Still needs more a little more testing before release on scenario page.
Attachments
TAO5_v101.zip
(98.31 KiB) Downloaded 732 times
Current PBEM Games

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Joel137 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:18 am

Got my first quick look. It looks like the best TAO yet!

One thing that bothered me about TAO4, was a timing tempo issue. Assuming average players (Fantassin and Tempest definitely excluded.)

Namely that in the game the axis often hit their high-water mark, many days before the historical version. I.e. the allied counter-attack would start earlier than historical.

I think making Elsenborn have fortifications has helped a lot. Its a little early for full comments, I have some question marks, but need to actually play the scenario several times to formulate well thought out opinions.

Curious as to why 4th ID is so weak? Is that historical?

I wonder if 7th Armee's lack of progress historically can be modeled any better?

OOps, I forgot, anyone up for a mirror set of games of "On to Antwerp".

I can't start until after March 10th However. (Ladder of course)
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Save Game Issue?

Postby Sakura » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:05 pm

All,

I am experiencing a save game issue . . . Playing a hotseat game against myself, I save normally - but cannot reload, ctd.

Happens both with 1.0 and 1.1.

Anybody else with this issue?

Cheerio,

Jan
Sakura
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby JSS » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:07 pm

Joel137 wrote:
Curious as to why 4th ID is so weak? Is that historical?

4th ID was sent to their starting position to rest & refit. The division was understrength. They were fully engaged holding their sector (successfully!) during the battle. Having several steps in timed recovery mode is done to simulate them being heavily engaged and to add incentive for the Allied player to leave them in dispersed mode during the early part of the game.

I wonder if 7th Armee's lack of progress historically can be modeled any better?

4th ID's dispersed strongpoints are set up to do this. They use the fortification CRT (not an instant kill, even with good odds) and some are two steps. Seventh Armee can breakthru the 4 ID barrier... but likely is going to be inconclusive (historical result where 4 ID held against several local pushes).
Current PBEM Games

JSS
Site Admin

Postby davidb » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:50 pm

The Pershing detachment isn't historical, is it? It's a lot of fun but I looked it up and my info says the Pershings didn't reach Europe until a couple weeks after the Bulge.
davidb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby JSS » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:22 am

davidb wrote:The Pershing detachment isn't historical, is it? It's a lot of fun but I looked it up and my info says the Pershings didn't reach Europe until a couple weeks after the Bulge.

3 AD had two M26s, one a heavy variant, around the time of the Bulge.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Tempest » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:54 pm

Great job on TAO5, JSS.

I noticed something strange.

The 9th armor start surprised with the standard "released when a unit gets within 3 hexes". I found it will actually release when a unit gets within 4 hexes.

Was this per design intent and its just mislabelled when surprised?

Also, the 9th will not release when the releasing Axis unit moves to hex 46,17. This hex is also 4 away from a 9th armor unit(its the only 4 distance hex that does this).

Tempest
Tempest
Major
Major

Postby JSS » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:10 am

Tempest wrote:Great job on TAO5, JSS.

I noticed something strange.

The 9th armor start surprised with the standard "released when a unit gets within 3 hexes". I found it will actually release when a unit gets within 4 hexes.

Was this per design intent and its just mislabelled when surprised?

Also, the 9th will not release when the releasing Axis unit moves to hex 46,17. This hex is also 4 away from a 9th armor unit(its the only 4 distance hex that does this).

Tempest

Thanks Tempest :)

Here's the actual verbage:

"This unit is surprised. It will become active if an enemy controlled hex is within 3 hexes or on turn 4."

So what you're seeing is than the turn 1 German positions 4 hexes out push German hex control out one hex... to the magic 3 hexes for turn 1.

In the case of 46, 17, there is an American unit in 45,17 which prevents control from shifting to German (German control is still 4 hexes out).

JSS
Current PBEM Games

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Carl Myers » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:43 am

Has anybody played RTTM 1.01? It seems that the map starts as all Allied control.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Kingpin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:32 pm

Carl Myers wrote:Has anybody played RTTM 1.01? It seems that the map starts as all Allied control.

It does. But the Axis take it to the Allies.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion