Battles in Italy Mega-Battle: Churchill's Way

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Battles in Italy Mega-Battle: Churchill's Way

Postby JSS » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:21 pm

This scenario is a full look at what could have been accomplished if the Allies did not take the strategic decsion to only go for Sicily (initial plan).

This is a free landing battle in which sealanes allow for invasion per the Allied player's plan... Sicily, Calabria, Taranto, Adriatic Coast (?!). All supply sources open in the first 3-5 turns (in general). It is now possible to cut off XIV Pz Korps on Sicily... it is also possible to be thrown back into the sea if the attempt is bungled!

Also... Axis player goes first. This will allow placement of 15 Pz Gd Div & HG Pz Div uniquely each game. A rush of units to the map edge (to block landing zones) will result in disaster... Allies have excellent recon and can drop two airborne divisions behind Axis lines.
Last edited by JSS on Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSS
Site Admin

Re: Battle in Italy Mega-Campaign: Churchill's Way

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:53 am

JSS wrote:Also... Axis player goes first.

Brilliant idea!
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Brubaker » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:09 am

Hi Marty

Thanks for your efforts this concept looks great!

Can you please tell us if there is an AI with this scenario and if not whether you will be doing one, and also if this is available for ladder play?

Cheers

Scott
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:59 am

Brubaker wrote:Hi Marty

Thanks for your efforts this concept looks great!

Can you please tell us if there is an AI with this scenario and if not whether you will be doing one, and also if this is available for ladder play?

Cheers

Scott

Scott,

Why, yes!... AI for the Axis side is included. :D Game is also set up for Allied AI... just haven't had time to put it in place. :shock:

Ladder hasn't been updated to include OTR or Churchill yet... just a matter of time I imagine :) Checking did remind me I had some results to post :twisted:

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Robjess » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:43 pm

Pterrok is our ladder man..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Brubaker » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:44 pm

You beauty I will tuck right in then.

Thanks
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:28 pm

Robjess wrote:Pterrok is our ladder man..

I didn't see any comments from him for some times now.
Pterrok, are you still around ?
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby ABridgeTooFar » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:53 am

Good game so far. The German AI is not very good. I landed on the boot of Italy ans skipped Sicily altogether. There does not seem to be much resistance. I am nearly at the Salerno beach head area in the west and have marched as far as Taranto in the east after only 12 turns. Is it me or does it seem like the Germans do not have enough troops in Italy to stop the Allied onslaught. (just a comment not a critcism of your research which I know is historical.)
ABridgeTooFar
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby JSS » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:20 am

ABridgeTooFar wrote:Good game so far. The German AI is not very good. I landed on the boot of Italy ans skipped Sicily altogether. There does not seem to be much resistance. I am nearly at the Salerno beach head area in the west and have marched as far as Taranto in the east after only 12 turns. Is it me or does it seem like the Germans do not have enough troops in Italy to stop the Allied onslaught. (just a comment not a critcism of your research which I know is historical.)

Will be interesting to see if the Germans do or not... Very early on the Germans should be able to muster:

- 16 Pz Div
- 29 PzGd Div
- 3 PzGd Div
- 1 FJ Div
- a mix of 90 PzGd/1 SS PzGd Div/24 Pz Div should have alerted from what you describe.

Combined with HG Pz Div, 15 PzGd Div, and numerous standard Italian Divs it should be quite a fight.
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Mlody111 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:10 pm

im having problems with this scenerio... for some reason the screen is all black instead of having ground tiles. I can see the units and everything else, except the actaul ground and see. Any ideas on why?
Mlody111
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby JSS » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:39 pm

Mlody111 wrote:im having problems with this scenerio... for some reason the screen is all black instead of having ground tiles. I can see the units and everything else, except the actaul ground and see. Any ideas on why?

Sounds like you need to copy the scenariomaps.xcr file from the main Battles in Italy folder into your Churchill folder.
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby ABridgeTooFar » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:30 am

JSS wrote:Will be interesting to see if the Germans do or not... Very early on the Germans should be able to muster:

- 16 Pz Div
- 29 PzGd Div
- 3 PzGd Div
- 1 FJ Div
- a mix of 90 PzGd/1 SS PzGd Div/24 Pz Div should have alerted from what you describe.

Combined with HG Pz Div, 15 PzGd Div, and numerous standard Italian Divs it should be quite a fight.

Does anyone know if you attack the mainland first and isolate Sicily, will the Germans still have supply on Sicily? I would love to land only a few divisions later on in the game to mop up the stranded units that may be out of supply.
ABridgeTooFar
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby JSS » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:04 am

ABridgeTooFar wrote:
Does anyone know if you attack the mainland first and isolate Sicily, will the Germans still have supply on Sicily? I would love to land only a few divisions later on in the game to mop up the stranded units that may be out of supply.

That is exactly what will happen... both on Sicily and in Calabria (Toe region). Supply dumps last for only a few turns (in general between 3-7 turns). Also be aware that the fortifications also provide supply to any units in that hex... so a bombing campaign is also needed for your plan to work.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby pterrok » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:54 am

Still around, though functionally AWOL! :oops:

Got three of the four new scenarios entered--Fall Weiss entry uncovered a problem so I have to dig up all the access info from my old computer which I forgot to copy to my new system! (And since I've moved jobs all my old work email copies are unavailable as well!)

So save your Fall Weiss results for just a bit longer...hopefully less than a week til I get it fixed.
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Badnews » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:03 pm

The 135th Ariete II Division was still forming at the moment of the Sept 8th 1943 Armistice with the Allies.
Why I see this division appears in Churchill?
:wink:
The war is not about who is right.
It is about who is left.
Badnews
Sergeant
Sergeant

Next

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion